Newbie trying to build monster build

2 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Though, if the 8c CPU isn't gonna have great single core performance, I would probably just lose performance when gaming, so I hope it does have. The threadripper 2 is also expected to have around 3.7GHz to 4GHz single core clock so maybe that will be the new banger.

You're water cooling and, I imagine, going with a delided CPU? Won't matter. 8c will put out more heat into a system that can absorb it. All of the 8700ks are going to max out around 5 Ghz all-core, it's just how much heat they produce to get there. It'll be the same for the 8780k(?) to come at the end of the year. It'll do 5 Ghz all-core, but it's just going to be a space heater to do it.

TR2 is probably around 4.4 Ghz single-core, but, specifically to that one, it's likely to do all 16c at a higher base frequency. Probably around 3.7 Ghz all-core base. Which is really good, it's just not going to be as much of an uplift as Ryzen 2nd gen has been. (TR had a few of the improvements already, though the faster caches should see ~2% IPC bump.)

9 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Remember I'm gonna be using the Corsair Obsidian 1000P, there's plenty of room for two systems so I should be fine, tho when I build a second computer I'll be sure to move the HDDs out so I can have them on both computers. I won't really gain much from it if it's just for one computer, imo.

I guess I'm not going to convince you to go through the headaches of making a 40Gbit network connection, haha.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I guess I'm not going to convince you to go through the headaches of making a 40Gbit network connection, haha.

Not until I get a second computer, nope. :D
Though, if the next flagship CPU can do 4.4GHz it's gonna be amazing for overclocking, I think you could get up to 6GHz without being an overclocking wizard.

8 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Not until I get a second computer, nope. :D
Though, if the next flagship CPU can do 4.4GHz it's gonna be amazing for overclocking, I think you could get up to 6GHz without being an overclocking wizard.

5 Ghz is something of the physical switching limitations for the current types of transistors. It's why we've been in the low 3 Ghz range for a while. 6 Ghz on anything but LN2 is likely never to happen with current approaches. They'd need to use different materials.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

5 Ghz is something of the physical switching limitations for the current types of transistors. It's why we've been in the low 3 Ghz range for a while. 6 Ghz on anything but LN2 is likely never to happen with current approaches. They'd need to use different materials.

Also about the GPU SLI scaling issues with (most) games, I'm really buying the other one for when SLI works properly, it sounds dumb to pay $1K for near 30-50FPS+ when you are already over 100FPS most of the time, but for 144Hz it works some times, and when it doesn't I can just turn it off, it's no big deal. Hopefully the next gen scales better (if it's possible at a hardware level), if it even has SLI support which NVIDIA seems to be dropping as of lately. We'll see. If I get over the $12K mark I'll just ditch the other GPU.

7 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Also about the GPU SLI scaling issues with (most) games, I'm really buying the other one for when SLI works properly, it sounds dumb to pay $1K for near 30-50FPS+ when you are already over 100FPS most of the time, but for 144Hz it works some times, and when it doesn't I can just turn it off, it's no big deal. Hopefully the next gen scales better (if it's possible at a hardware level), if it even has SLI support which NVIDIA seems to be dropping as of lately. We'll see. If I get over the $12K mark I'll just ditch the other GPU.

We'll see. Nvidia could outright drop SLI in the future. Though maybe they sell enough 1080 Ti in SLI for it to make sense to keep it.

26 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We'll see. Nvidia could outright drop SLI in the future. Though maybe they sell enough 1080 Ti in SLI for it to make sense to keep it.

Btw, does it matter if the water cooling pipes bend or are straight?

8 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Btw, does it matter if the water cooling pipes bend or are straight?

Hard or soft tubing? At some basic level, you want as straight of pipes as possible, but, for a PC cooling loop, it's not normally that big of an issue. Fittings & leaks are the big one. (And be sure to plan your loop carefully, along with having a drain location.)

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Hard or soft tubing? At some basic level, you want as straight of pipes as possible, but, for a PC cooling loop, it's not normally that big of an issue. Fittings & leaks are the big one. (And be sure to plan your loop carefully, along with having a drain location.)

This would be my loop configuration, with the 480 rad on the front where the 8 fans go, the 420 on the top with (maybe) push and pull, and the 280 on the back. The thing I know the least of is how to actually place all the tubes and how it could leak other than untight fittings, so I'm watching some JayzTwoCents stuff on water cooling to learn more about that.

Just now, mamimami said:

This would be my loop configuration, with the 480 rad on the front where the 8 fans go, the 420 on the top with (maybe) push and pull, and the 280 on the back. The thing I know the least of is how to actually place all the tubes and how it could leak other than untight fittings, so I'm watching some JayzTwoCents stuff on water cooling to learn more about that.

What scares me the most is probably draining and maintaining, since I don't want to screw up anything and toss $10K into the garbage.

Just now, mamimami said:

Probably want to read up on it over the rest of the year. I haven't done any personal Loops (helped others with a few way, way back in the day), so I can't really speak to the details of the planning. But you'll want to draw up careful plans.

1 minute ago, mamimami said:

What scares me the most is probably draining and maintaining, since I don't want to screw up anything and toss $10K into the garbage.

Knew a guy that was really big on high-end systems & water cooling. One specific system got partially lost twice from leaks. I think it was 2 GPUs the first time, then motherboard + 1 GPU the next time. That system also managed to start a fire & burn his house down.

I really, really wish that was a joke. It is not.

4 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Plan your loop well. Also, be mindful of the power draw on the circuit, and, if an older house, be sure the wiring there is up to code.

Yes, the 4 GPU water-cooled system caused an electrical fire from melting the wires in the wall.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Knew a guy that was really big on high-end systems & water cooling. One specific system got partially lost twice from leaks. I think it was 2 GPUs the first time, then motherboard + 1 GPU the next time. That system also managed to start a fire & burn his house down.

I really, really wish that was a joke. It is not.

I'm gonna see if I can hire someone to help me with it, then, I don't think those exist but I hope they do. 519

5 minutes ago, mamimami said:

I'm gonna see if I can hire someone to help me with it, then, I don't think those exist but I hope they do. 

Haha. It was an older house with some wonky wiring they didn't know about, but I still love telling the story. We gave him hell about it for so long. Should probably call him up just to do it again.

Poke around for some of the really high-end water cooling forums. There'll be plenty of people willing to help. Maybe even offer a bounty for a loop design, with schematic.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Haha. It was an older house with some wonky wiring they didn't know about, but I still love telling the story. We gave him hell about it for so long. Should probably call him up just to do it again.

Poke around for some of the really high-end water cooling forums. There'll be plenty of people willing to help. Maybe even offer a bounty for a loop design, with schematic.

Actually, now that I recall, Paul's Hardware is doing a water cooled build with the 1000D, maybe I can use his tubing as a base. If not I'll do that.

3 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Actually, now that I recall, Paul's Hardware is doing a water cooled build with the 1000D, maybe I can use his tubing as a base. If not I'll do that.

You'd be surprised with $100 via paypal will get you on niche forums.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

You'd be surprised with $100 via paypal will get you on niche forums.

Was just thinking the same thing lol, do you know any forums where I could go on about that?

Was just thinking the same thing lol, do you know any forums where I could go on about that?

Per my friend's experience, I've normally avoided water cooling, so I'm afraid I can't help much there. :)

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/36-liquid-and-exotic-cooling/

I'd start over in that part of the forum, I'm sure someone can help direct you.

2 hours ago, mamimami said:

This is going to sound weird, but, with how ridiculously over-the-top this type of build is, I wonder if you could "commission" LTT to do it for you? I put commission in quotes because you pretty much have an ASUS and/or Corsair display piece there, so you'd be trying to convince LTT to get a sponsored video from one of those companies. You'd still be on the hook for a good chunk of parts (and money), but it's an interesting opportunity to get something unique and for some discounts via the main companies would be supplying parts.

Not sure if the LMG would be up for that, but you'd have to contact @GabenJr ,  @nicklmg, @CPotter, @AlexTheGreatish or @LinusTech. 

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This is going to sound weird, but, with how ridiculously over-the-top this type of build is, I wonder if you could "commission" LTT to do it for you? I put commission in quotes because you pretty much have an ASUS and/or Corsair display piece there, so you'd be trying to convince LTT to get a sponsored video from one of those companies. You'd still be on the hook for a good chunk of parts (and money), but it's an interesting opportunity to get something unique and for some discounts via the main companies would be supplying parts.

Not sure if the LMG would be up for that, but you'd have to contact @GabenJr ,  @nicklmg, @CPotter, @AlexTheGreatish or @LinusTech. 

That'd be great though kind of a stretch to be honest.

That'd be great though kind of a stretch to be honest.

I wouldn't expect it to happen, but, after you convince yourself it's a good idea to go that far in for spending, it's an interesting idea. LMG was so flush with sponsors in Q4 2017 that they added another video slot to fill in all of sponsor spots. You're pretty much building what a "sponsored build" would look like from EK & Asus. Plus, by Q4, we're going to have a new top SKU from Intel, so they'll be spending advertising dollars as well.

In other words, they're going to be doing builds in that realm, possibly several, during the time period. Which is why it's a weird idea, but it isn't too far out of the norm. Though, the biggest hurdle? Getting it back into the USA without issue. For a system that expensive, customs could be an issue. (Related to this problem, I'm sure you might be able to approach another YouTuber for this type of collaboration project. Preferably one in the USA.)

7 hours ago, mamimami said:

I'll do the RAID 10 thing, tho many benchmarks and reviews about the 970 EVO on RAID 0 showed that it scaled almost perfectly.

I'm getting the Asus Strix OC one because 1. it has three fans (and even if that doesn't help that much I like the looks of it) 2. I like the RGB around it (as I mentioned I want a fully RGB-lit computer) and 3. It's good for overclocking, and I'm gonna be doing a lot of that with the liquid cooling.

I have seen that case, too, I didn't choose it because it was meant for two systems in one case, but if the crazy amount of case fans I can fit in there will help my temps by a good margin, I'll be sure to use it.

And about the PSU, JonnyGuru already reviewed it (The 1200W model tho, but it should be the same thing) and he said it was excellent, so that's enough for me to get it. 
https://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=546

EDIT: Updated part list to have four 6TB IronWolf Pros :)

I didn't say that RAID 0 NVMe drives would not be faster, just that you would not notice the difference. It seems to me that it is not worth the added fragility.

I thought the intention was to install a custom cooling loop. In which case the stock cooling is going to be replaced by a water block. So the stock cooler is going to be removed. There are a number of RGB waterblocks for GTX 1080 Ti.

Yes, jonnyguru.com said it was excellent. It got a 9.4 score. There are better psu, ones that jonnyguru has scored in the 9.8 - 10 range.

Why six hdd? 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 hours ago, mamimami said:

What's the best PSU? I could just slap some LED straps on it lmao
I tried finding G-Sync monitors but to no avail, and the ones I found had a lot of compromises too, if you know about a really solid one with hopefully slim bezels then I'm sold. About the 4K ones tho, I'm not sure if the GPUs could handle 4K modern games while still hitting the 144hz mark, as they struggle a bit on some games with 2K, but if the new gen of GPUs can then hell yeah brother. also those monitors cost a whole fucking lot like holy shit tho I may as well

The best of the best when it comes to psus is probably the ax1600i, hands down. Prime titanium lineup isn't too far behind that though.

There's quite a few g sync 1440p monitors, though they are more expensive. Here's the cheapest IPS one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ttnG3C/acer-monitor-xb271hubmiprz

The cheapest one with a TN panel is a bit less though 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg

Also worth noting is the Dell S2417DG is only $350 but it's smaller.

If you want, you could also look at ultrawides. This one is 3440x1440 g sync overclockable to 120 hz

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rNdFf7/acer-predator-z35p-350-3440x1440-100hz-monitor-umcz1aap01

A 1080 ti definitely won't be able to hit 4k 144 hz unless you turn down settings, unless you're playing less demanding titles.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, brob said:

I didn't say that RAID 0 NVMe drives would not be faster, just that you would not notice the difference. It seems to me that it is not worth the added fragility.

I thought the intention was to install a custom cooling loop. In which case the stock cooling is going to be replaced by a water block. So the stock cooler is going to be removed. There are a number of RGB waterblocks for GTX 1080 Ti.

Yes, jonnyguru.com said it was excellent. It got a 9.4 score. There are better psu, ones that jonnyguru has scored in the 9.8 - 10 range.

Why six hdd? 

Six HDDs for RAID 10 so I won't lose files in case the array fails like with RAID 0