Newbie trying to build monster build

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

The best of the best when it comes to psus is probably the ax1600i, hands down. Prime titanium lineup isn't too far behind that though.

There's quite a few g sync 1440p monitors, though they are more expensive. Here's the cheapest IPS one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ttnG3C/acer-monitor-xb271hubmiprz

The cheapest one with a TN panel is a bit less though 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg

Also worth noting is the Dell S2417DG is only $350 but it's smaller.

If you want, you could also look at ultrawides. This one is 3440x1440 g sync overclockable to 120 hz

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rNdFf7/acer-predator-z35p-350-3440x1440-100hz-monitor-umcz1aap01

A 1080 ti definitely won't be able to hit 4k 144 hz unless you turn down settings, unless you're playing less demanding titles.

Oh wow, I never noticed those monitors, thanks for the heads up, I'll use those XB271HU instead for sure.

And with that I hit the $12K mark, so I'll stop adding more stuff to the build until December comes and new CPUs/GPUs are out. Thanks!

EDIT: If there are good 144Hz 4K monitors and the new line of GPUs can run that res as smooth as it does with 2K, I'll be sure to change them.

12 minutes ago, mamimami said:

Six HDDs for RAID 10 so I won't lose files in case the array fails like with RAID 0

RAID 10 works fine with four drives. The scheme is essentially a RAID 0 array of mirrored (RAID 1) drives or mirrored RAID 0 arrays, depending on the implemintation.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 minutes ago, brob said:

RAID 10 works fine with four drives. The scheme is essentially a RAID 0 array of mirrored (RAID 1) drives or mirrored RAID 0 arrays, depending on the implemintation.

Ah, I got confused, I only have four HDDs, they are mainly for storing important stuff for when I move on to other computers, where I'll put them in a network thingy. The SSDs are for this PC alone.

7 minutes ago, brob said:

Also I won't do RAID0 for the SSDs, I'll just merge the volumes or something so they appear as one drive, isn't RAID1 for that?

1 minute ago, mamimami said:

Also I won't do RAID0 for the SSDs, I'll just merge the volumes or something so they appear as one drive, isn't RAID1 for that?

RAID 1 duplicates the data. In a 2 drive array each drive has identical contents. That way if one drive fails, the other still has all the data.

32 minutes ago, brob said:

RAID 1 duplicates the data. In a 2 drive array each drive has identical contents. That way if one drive fails, the other still has all the data.

So basically it's a consistent backup? That's not what I want :S

7 minutes ago, mamimami said:

So basically it's a consistent backup? That's not what I want :S

No, RAID is not backup. RAID levels other than 0 are intended to reduce downtime due to device failure.

Frankly, I would suggest getting a single large NVMe M.2 drive for your gaming system. Off load everything else to a NAS box and implement a good backup scheme for local drive and NAS.

7 minutes ago, brob said:

No, RAID is not backup. RAID levels other than 0 are intended to reduce downtime due to device failure.

Frankly, I would suggest getting a single large NVMe M.2 drive for your gaming system. Off load everything else to a NAS box and implement a good backup scheme for local drive and NAS.

Yeah, what I'm planning to do is have these HDDs on this system until I build a second one, and then I'll move them to a NAS box, since this would be the only computer I have other than my shitty laptop.

11 minutes ago, brob said:

What do you think of buying a 4TB 960 EVO, is the performance between the 970 and 960 that different?
nvm that one isn't M.2

2 minutes ago, mamimami said:

What do you think of buying a 4TB 960 Pro, is the performance between the 970 and 960 that different?

To be honest, if you're just using it to store apps and games, you're unlikely to notice a huge difference unless you're going for a pretty low end SSD.

If it means anything though, 970 pro is like 10-20% faster than a 960 pro, which is quite a bit faster than both the 970 evo and 960 evo, which, from what I've seen, are about the same.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, mamimami said:

What do you think of buying a 4TB 960 EVO, is the performance between the 970 and 960 that different?

From a human perspective there is little difference in performance. The 970 Pro has significantly better write times, but gaming machines don't do a great deal of writing to storage. You can compare the specs yourself, http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/960evo/ and http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970pro/. Click Show more specs and look at the Performance section.

If you feel a need for 4TB, a 960 Evo would be a reasonable choice.