what is the best rca-vga converter for my monitor?

Theminecraftaddict555

So my gaming monitor has 1 display port (broken unfortunately), hdmi (in use by computer), & vga. I want to hook up my PS3 to my gaming monitor through the use of rca cables & vga connectors & be able to switch back to my pc & console when needed (if that works). My plan is to connect my rca cables, connected to my ps3, to the converter. For my vga cables, I will plan to have them connected to my monitor to the converter. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a rca-vga converter that does this?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

dont use rca for the PS3. VGA is closer to component. 

Really just get an HDMI switch. 15$ or so. 

Edit

10$ for an unpowered one I own 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LFX1UDM

Here's another one I own, 3 inputs, remote, powered. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQP6PTK

The later is nice as the PC will see the matrix and not the screen, and when you switch it wont think the monitor is disconnected (a problem with some switches) 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

dont use rca for the PS3. VGA is closer to component. 

Really just get an HDMI switch. 15$ or so. 

I have to use rca for my ps3, hdmi port is broken on it sadly. Another possible alternative (possibly cheaper) is to get an rca-hdmi converter though that will force me to remove my hdmi cord from PC and plug it into the converter connected to PS3 whenever I want to use it.

13 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I have to use rca for my ps3, hdmi port is broken on it sadly.

You can still use component then. 

I recommend going with that as you can get up to 1080i instead of 640x480. 

For adapting to vga, you need a "converter"  not a basic adapter for your needs- going from component to vga by a basic cord can work, but there's a whole lotta hoopla about sync on green and stuff that has to work on both ends I think. Bit of research is needed as it wont always work, and you can tell by the reviews. 

It's much much easier to find a good component/composite to hdmi adapter than vga simply because it's a more popular product. 

Here's my favorite component adapter. It's from avermedia, and there's 0 latency, it does no upscaling or anything. Powered from usb, I always just plugged into the console I was using it on.
It's more on the expensive side though at 40$

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ6ZCF2

Same with this one for composite. I still recommend just getting a component cable for your ps3 from ebay. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ43WI8

There are cheaper solutions, but I haven't tested any of them and cant confirm reliability/quality/latency. Here's one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Zepthus-Component-YPbPr-Video-Converter/dp/B01ALUV61U

With all of these HDMI solutions you can either do the switch, OR adapt it to your vga from there. Here's my favorite cheap adapter. Optionally powered from usb, has audio output too. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YC7U0NE

This adapter has practically non existent latency as well. 

Honestly, imo a good component to vga adapter that's not a direct cable will most as much or more than a component>hdmi>switch/vga solution. Doesn't make much sense given how vga works (it's gloried rgb) but hey thats the way it is. 

One final note, if your ps3 is a slim, I fixed a lot of hdmi ports on those that simply got loose from being bent up and down by cable pressure. Quite a few didn't need re-soldered, just compressed back into place. So if you're handy, you could try it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Is the HDMI broken on the PS3 or on the monitor?

If it's on the monitor get a HDMI to VGA adaptor.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

37 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

You can still use component then. 

I recommend going with that as you can get up to 1080i instead of 640x480. 

For adapting to vga, you need a "converter"  not a basic adapter for your needs- going from component to vga by a basic cord can work, but there's a whole lotta hoopla about sync on green and stuff that has to work on both ends I think. Bit of research is needed as it wont always work, and you can tell by the reviews. 

It's much much easier to find a good component/composite to hdmi adapter than vga simply because it's a more popular product. 

Here's my favorite component adapter. It's from avermedia, and there's 0 latency, it does no upscaling or anything. Powered from usb, I always just plugged into the console I was using it on.
It's more on the expensive side though at 40$

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ6ZCF2

Same with this one for composite. I still recommend just getting a component cable for your ps3 from ebay. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQ43WI8

There are cheaper solutions, but I haven't tested any of them and cant confirm reliability/quality/latency. Here's one. 

With all of these HDMI solutions you can either do the switch, OR adapt it to your vga from there. Here's my favorite cheap adapter. Optionally powered from usb, has audio output too. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YC7U0NE

This adapter has practically non existent latency as well. 

Honestly, imo a good component to vga adapter that's not a direct cable will most as much or more than a component>hdmi>switch/vga solution. Doesn't make much sense given how vga works (it's gloried rgb) but hey thats the way it is. 

One final note, if your ps3 is a slim, I fixed a lot of hdmi ports on those that simply got loose from being bent up and down by cable pressure. Quite a few didn't need re-soldered, just compressed back into place. So if you're handy, you could try it. 

So I have these 2 options?

Option 1: I could buy this product right here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JYCXP3S/ref=psdc_280341_t2_B01ALUV61U

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YC7U0NE?tag=linus21-20

Then i would use this product's hdmi to connect the converter above, Then connect my monitor's vga cable to this product's vga port. Then from there on, the vga should in theory work and display my ps3 display?

Option 2: I do it the way you recommended by buying one of the rca-hdmi converters you listed + the switch device you listed. So then I would be able to plug my rca into the converter & have my computer hdmi cable connected to the hdmi part of the converter?

6 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So I have these 2 options?

Option 1: I could buy this product right here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JYCXP3S/ref=psdc_280341_t2_B01ALUV61U

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YC7U0NE?tag=linus21-20

Then i would use this product's hdmi to connect the converter above, Then connect my monitor's vga cable to this product's vga port. Then from there on, the vga should in theory work and display my ps3 display?

Option 2: I do it the way you recommended by buying one of the rca-hdmi converters you listed + the switch device you listed. So then I would be able to plug my rca into the converter & have my computer hdmi cable connected to the hdmi part of the converter?

have the converter and the computer connected to an hdmi switch/matrix or have the rca converter plugged into an hdmi>vga adapter and plugged into vga on monitor.

I still strongly recommend component for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Component-AV-Cable-Set-PlayStation-PS/dp/B002MRLDPA

note- it may be worth getting a higher quality/used oem cable. Would be pricey online to find an official one, but check a local used game store.

Component would still allow you to play your games in the resolution they output (usually 720p on the ps3)

muh specs 

All parts black

5 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

have the converter and the computer connected to an hdmi switch/matrix or have the rca converter plugged into an hdmi>vga adapter and plugged into vga on monitor.

I still strongly recommend component for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Component-AV-Cable-Set-PlayStation-PS/dp/B002MRLDPA

note- it may be worth getting a higher quality/used oem cable. Would be pricey online to find an official one, but check a local used game store.

Component would still allow you to play your games in the resolution they output (usually 720p on the ps3)

So how much hdmi cables do i need for the hdmi switch/matrix? I only have one so far for my computer. i believe according to the pics of the matrix device, I need 3 cables in total (one to connect converter to matrix and one to connect computer to matrix, & final one to connect to monitor)

I believe I have a braided component cable already sitting around my house.

12 hours ago, williamcll said:

Is the HDMI broken on the PS3 or on the monitor?

If it's on the monitor get a HDMI to VGA adaptor.

It is broken on the ps3

6 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So how much hdmi cables do i need for the hdmi switch/matrix? I only have one so far for my computer. i believe according to the pics of the matrix device, I need 3 cables in total (one to connect converter to matrix and one to connect computer to matrix, & final one to connect to monitor)

I believe I have a braided component cable already sitting around my house.

you'd need 3 in total for 2 devices, yes. getting a pack of them would be a nice thing to have, but it is an extra cost I didn't consider. I just have a fuck ton of cables. 

muh specs 

All parts black

22 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

you'd need 3 in total for 2 devices, yes. getting a pack of them would be a nice thing to have, but it is an extra cost I didn't consider. I just have a fuck ton of cables. 

The matrix device is pretty darn cool though and useful. I think i could grab 2 more cheap hdmi cords off of amazon. This might cost me 60 dollars to get the recommended converter, matrix, + extra cables. Is there any other possible cheaper alternatives?

4 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

The matrix device is pretty darn cool though and useful. I think i could grab 2 more cheap hdmi cords off of amazon. This might cost me 60 dollars to get the recommended converter, matrix, + extra cables. Is there any other possible cheaper alternatives?

probably component to VGA if you get a cheap adapter, just do research for good one. Be aware of grouped reviews for multiple products on amazon. 

This is also slightly cheaper, 45$ total. Cheaper concerter, hdmi switch instead of matrix 
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-2-Pack/dp/B014I8SX4Y

or you can get the 25$ converter, an hdmi to vga adapter for under 10$, that one I linked earlier, wont need hdmi cable as it's male. 
I can't vouch for this converter, but the reviews seem decent. Amazons pretty good about returns too. 

with all of these you'll need a ps3 component cable- check around used game shops first before going generic, my local one has like a bin of them. Ps2 and ps3 ones are the same. 

muh specs 

All parts black

10 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

probably component to VGA if you get a cheap adapter, just do research for good one. Be aware of grouped reviews for multiple products on amazon. 

This is also slightly cheaper, 45$ total. Cheaper concerter, hdmi switch instead of matrix 

or you can get the 25$ converter, an hdmi to vga adapter for under 10$, that one I linked earlier, wont need hdmi cable as it's male. 
I can't vouch for this converter, but the reviews seem decent. Amazons pretty good about returns too. 

with all of these you'll need a ps3 component cable- check around used game shops first before going generic, my local one has like a bin of them. Ps2 and ps3 ones are the same. 

I've decided to go with the 60$ option since i have money to spare and want to go on the safe side, it is also verified by many people including you that the 40$ component-hdmi adapter has no lag. While for the other adapter, it is unverified. I also wanted the matrix option too since it sounds pretty useful for its cheap price. I'll try to find a cheaper hdmi option though.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:25 PM, Syntaxvgm said:

Also I can't seem to get any audio from my ps3 at all when playing its games. Unfortunately, my monitor doesn't have built in speakers