I’m getting 32gb of intel optane. Should I pair that with barracuda 2tb (64mb cache), barracuda 4tb (256mb Cache), or a 2tb firecuda

StoreMI ?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

You shouldn't pair it with anything, the advantages are minimal and only if you run applications from those drives (the files of those applications would be cached in the optane drive over time and therefore accelerated).

Get a 128-256 GB SSD and install and run applications only from that SSD and use the mechanical drive for "static" files (music, video files etc) only... that makes more sense.

Don't buy an Intel Optane SSD, just buy a normal sata SSD 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

if it HAS to be optane instead of a 120gb SSD id just pair it with the best drive you can,  so i guess the 4TB?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

why not optane, im going to have a lot of files and i want them to be fast and have the convenience of optane picking the files for me. Its not just a overpriced ssd you know. Its an accelerator.

48 minutes ago, RyRyJS said:

why not optane, im going to have a lot of files and i want them to be fast and have the convenience of optane picking the files for me. Its not just a overpriced ssd you know. Its an accelerator.

Depends what SSDs are you looking at, Samsung is overpriced af but there are other brands like

Crucial, Intel, Sandisk or even Kingston (regular kingston not "gamer" kingston)

Just get a 120GB one and install the OS and whatever software you need to have fast loading times

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

-snip- and use the mechanical drive for "static" files (music, video files etc) only... that makes more sense.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

54 minutes ago, RyRyJS said:

It's an accelerator pretty much only by name. The "accelerator" part is in the firmware (the chipset "bios" and the bios on the motherboard and the drivers), the drive itself is more or less like a SSD.

Optane memory is just a different kind of Flash memory with higher endurance and lower latency. Intel could make and they did make SSDs that used Optane chips instead of Flash chips for storing data, they don't do it anymore or don't advertise it so much because it's not cost effective to make SSDs with them, because it costs much more to manufacture Optane chips compared to Flash chips. Intel basically rebranded the chips from "storage" to "accelerator" to build a market for them and because paying so much for a SSD was seen by customers as stupid.

So basically Intel wrote the firmware and software (the drivers) to treat Optane drives as "special" accelerator drives and the driver simply monitors what files you read from the mechanical drive and if they're accessed often, they copy them to the Optane drive.

Intel could use a regular SSD drive as "accelerator" but they made it work only with Optane to create an artificial difference between Intel and AMD systems ... that's why it only works with some Intel chipsets.

I think the firmware and drivers aren't smart enough to differentiate between files and all that... for example, let's say you play a game which has a 10 GB file from which every time you load a level or a map, the game extracts a few random hundreds of MB (textures, music tracks, sound effects for that level).

I think the accelerator would be stupid enough to think you'd want that 10 GB file cached in the Optane because the game opens that file so often, so if it does that with 3-4 files like that, the whole Optane will be filled with only a bunch of big files and all your applications would be dropped out and you'd have nothing accelerated but that game..

optane memory and optane ssds can all be used as storage.. the smaller sizes were just poorly marketed... IMO

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

40 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's an accelerator pretty much only by name. The "accelerator" part is in the firmware (the chipset "bios" and the bios on the motherboard and the drivers), the drive itself is more or less like a SSD.

Optane memory is just a different kind of Flash memory with higher endurance and lower latency. Intel could make and they did make SSDs that used Optane chips instead of Flash chips for storing data, they don't do it anymore or don't advertise it so much because it's not cost effective to make SSDs with them, because it costs much more to manufacture Optane chips compared to Flash chips. Intel basically rebranded the chips from "storage" to "accelerator" to build a market for them and because paying so much for a SSD was seen by customers as stupid.

So basically Intel wrote the firmware and software (the drivers) to treat Optane drives as "special" accelerator drives and the driver simply monitors what files you read from the mechanical drive and if they're accessed often, they copy them to the Optane drive.

Intel could use a regular SSD drive as "accelerator" but they made it work only with Optane to create an artificial difference between Intel and AMD systems ... that's why it only works with some Intel chipsets.

I think the firmware and drivers aren't smart enough to differentiate between files and all that... for example, let's say you play a game which has a 10 GB file from which every time you load a level or a map, the game extracts a few random hundreds of MB (textures, music tracks, sound effects for that level).

I think the accelerator would be stupid enough to think you'd want that 10 GB file cached in the Optane because the game opens that file so often, so if it does that with 3-4 files like that, the whole Optane will be filled with only a bunch of big files and all your applications would be dropped out and you'd have nothing accelerated but that game..

I think you just dislike optane.. If you don't play the game that often, it will erase from optane.. Also It only works with new intel cpu`s because they are designed to work with it.. If you look at the benchmarks optane is pretty good. Its like a really good sshd.