Best budget quiet server

ok guys so i want to buy an ubuntu server that is quiet enough that you could be about a meter away and barely hear it, but the most powerful for under £200

thanks

5 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

server

that is quiet

£200

Pick 2

12 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Pick 2

so not possible? like can i buy a £200 server and make it quiet or what|?

Really depends on your definition of server... are you talking about enterprise class computer equipment here or are you talking about a computer with a server OS on it?

If you're talking about enterprise hardware, you can pretty much forget quiet...Even the tower PCs are going to be louder than your average quiet PC build. You can make then quieter yes but that costs time and money for researching parts and buying them.

That said if enterprise hardware isn't a necessity then you would be looking at maybe some sort of used PC tower and install Ubuntu server on it.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

I wanted to have about 8 cores 16 threads 16gb ram and use it for hosting game servers, as a home lab and just messing around. i have seen these kind of servers within my budget on ebay, but they are 1 or 2u is there any way to make them quieter?

It wouldn't really fit the budget, but it could/would be quiet if you made a nice ryzen system to meet your 8+ core requirement and using a decent heatsink+fan. But once again, this is highly unlikely and if you are buying any type of enterprise hardware as stated from others here, they tend to be quite loud. The main reason servers are in separate "closets" are mainly for security and temperature/humidity control, but another big bonus to keeping them away is noise.

Just now, AdamTheSlave said:

I use a zbox for a linux mail server with apache for a webmail interface... it's a dual core atom with 4 threads running ubuntu server. Runs good :) And it's silent.

https://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Dual-Core-Barebone-System-ZBOX-ID80-U/dp/B007L5XW9S

looks quite good but im pretty sure its just not good enough for my purpose

1 minute ago, AdamTheSlave said:

use case?

57 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

I wanted to have about 8 cores 16 threads 16gb ram and use it for hosting game servers, as a home lab and just messing around. i have seen these kind of servers within my budget on ebay, but they are 1 or 2u is there any way to make them quieter?

along with a cloud server 

i had something similar to what you said before but it was just too slow

4 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

i had something similar to what you said before but it was just too slow

Got you, Perhaps just buying a cheap xeon workstation. I knew a guy on letgo selling an old dell workstation with twin xeons for like 8 cores total and 16 threads for 200... It was pretty quiet. Keep an eye out. People are always dumping old xeon workstations on selling sites.

2 minutes ago, AdamTheSlave said:

Got you, Perhaps just buying a cheap xeon workstation. I knew a guy on letgo selling an old dell workstation with twin xeons for like 8 cores total and 16 threads for 200... It was pretty quiet. Keep an eye out. People are always dumping old xeon workstations on selling sites.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Z600-CTO-Workstation-Barebones-or-configure-your-own/282948675410?hash=item41e10e2752:m:mw9pmJ3DmHn9HL3xBWMGyNQ

12 core 24thread but only 12gb ram or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-T5400-32gb-RAM-Dual-XEON-Quad-3-0Ghz-2x5450-1-TB-Hardisk/163046069385?hash=item25f64d9489:g:bSIAAOSw95la-CH6 8 core 16 thread 32gb ram

4 minutes ago, AdamTheSlave said:

Looks exactly like the one that other guy was selling :D

Looks good. Would make for a nice server.

OK BUT WOULD IT be better than 12core 24 thread and less ram and why

The link for the first one wasn't filled in with the specs, it wanted me to select them. So I don't know what you selected for a cpu and such. It has a list of xeon cpu's that could be put in. So I don't know. You can compare cpu's. I know the 3ghz one is pretty fast, and I know the dell workstations don't sound like a 1u server... I can't comment on the noise levels of the HP one.

2 minutes ago, AdamTheSlave said:

The link for the first one wasn't filled in with the specs, it wanted me to select them. So I don't know what you selected for a cpu and such. It has a list of xeon cpu's that could be put in. So I don't know. You can compare cpu's. I know the 3ghz one is pretty fast, and I know the dell workstations don't sound like a 1u server... I can't comment on the noise levels of the HP one.

oh ok it had the 2 of the e5645 12gb ram a 500gb hdd and a quadro fx 580

Personally I'd go for the dell being a game server with the higher frequency, larger storage, more memory option.

16 minutes ago, AdamTheSlave said:

Personally I'd go for the dell being a game server with the higher frequency, larger storage, more memory option.

OK THANKS I THINK ILL GO FOR THAT ONE THEN

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

OK THANKS I THINK ILL GO FOR THAT ONE THEN

No problem, happy tinkering!