Actual definitions for pirate and steal...

Paul Rudd

@JoeyDM Not everything is what it seems to be. As for being a basic snarky prick, thanks? I don't even know what snarky means but it sounds cool. As for being tolerated or not, thanks? Even knowing what tolerate means, thank you. And as for whatever false equivalencies are, again, thanks? No clue what that means but it too sounds cool.

@AshleyAshes So this is what a thread is all about? It's my first one. How did I do?

2 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

"Not everything is what it seems to be" is the motto of a 13 year old beginning to have pseudo-complicated thoughts who thinks he's deep. Fuck, I went through that phase too.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

"Not everything is what it seems to be" is the motto of a 13 year old beginning to have pseudo-complicated thoughts who thinks he's deep. Fuck, I went through that phase too.

To be fair, most pseudo intellectuals do not go 'Yeah but what do I do with laws?' as if 'READ THEM' was not at the top of the list.  pseudo-intellectuals read the laws and interpret them poorly.

@JoeyDM Pseudo-complicated? If that's a word, I want to be as deep as you are. When will my current "thinking I'm deep" phase be over? I want to venture into the depths of pseudo-complication. Whatever the hell that is.

@JoeyDM I see you added, "Hell, you're nothing but logical fallacies." to your other comment above. Oh that's definitely me. My logic says to never pay for any trash bags in your entire life because the grocery store provides you with more than you'll ever need. 

5 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, the entire point of this thread was to argue a straw man?  

He didn't even do that. This entire thread is an incoherent mess.

cac.jpg

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

@valdyrgramr I still don't know what a straw man is. I read something about it in the comments above but I couldn't quite understand it.

Just now, A Random Dude said:

@JoeyDM Do kids do this here all the time or something? Or is my intellect that dumb.

No it's just very common on the internet to see kids who are sure they're smarter and deeper than everyone else. It's a phase most kids go through. It's easy to see on the internet because it gives them a platform to speak without being mocked by people with actual impact in their lives. I.E. I'm mocking you. But I'm somebody with almost no impact in your life. If you pulled this same shit in your middle school people would just laugh.

If I'm right on the money, you aren't smart. You aren't deep. You aren't interesting. You're probably just a normal 11-14 year old. Everything you've typed points to that.

3 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

@valdyrgramr I still don't know what a straw man is. I read something about it in the comments above but I couldn't quite understand it.

A straw man is a common form of argument and an informal fallacy. It's basically trying to appear to refute an argument by refuting something unrelated that wasn't presented by your opponent. This ties in to false equivalencies 99% of the time.

@JoeyDM If I'm not as dumb as I think I am, that very last statement you put seems to encourage more information to identify what I actually am. But I'll reply to it anyway because your money is no good to me. I've never been smart. I've only been as deep as she wants it. I may be boring but I never get bored. And I'm probably not a normal anything. And for some unknown reason, everything I have typed, you have read.

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

A straw man is a common form of argument and an informal fallacy. It's basically trying to appear to refute an argument by refuting something unrelated that wasn't presented by your opponent. This ties in to false equivalencies 99% of the time.

I'm betting $10 that you just opened the door to have him argue that fallacies are fallacies. >.>

@JoeyDM Could you by chance sum up, "A straw man is a common form of argument and an informal fallacy. It's basically trying to appear to refute an argument by refuting something unrelated that wasn't presented by your opponent. This ties in to false equivalencies 99% of the time." into a brief sentence that I could actually understand?

-= Topic Locked =-

-= Topic Cleansed =-

Ok so this thread has gone down the proverbial black hole.

I skimmed enough to see some personal attacks but not strong enough to take action against those members involved.

Lets be mindful to keep things Civil with our discussions. Name calling is not allowed.

OP your question has been answered so please do not re-post this.

Generally speaking, as long as the following rules are met you should never find yourself subject to disciplinary action:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

The following is not an exhaustive list of the rules and guidelines that must be followed when participating on Linus Tech Tips. The administration and moderation team reserve the right to terminate any and all accounts or remove any content at any stage without prior notice. The rules outlined below are only the minimum expectations of members, and not every issue can be predicted and addressed here, so conduct could still be considered out of line even if it isn't covered here specifically. The instructions of the moderation team must be followed at all times.

• No harassment, discrimination or abuse of any kind.
    • This includes insults, fanboy, or troll accusations

Source: 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER