Noticibly sharper video in Edge browser?

Video (YouTube specifically) seems to be noticeably sharper and less blown out in the Microsoft Edge browser than in google chrome. Am I doing something wrong or dose Microsoft just have some sort of “magic sauce” that chrome dose not? I would like to continue using chrome but if the video is not as good that’s a deal breaker for me.

A02267EE-5C70-4080-9E1F-1832558C0DC1.jpeg

Might be Chrome is running hardware accelerated and Edge is running software. The GPU decoder won't necessarily yield quite the same results, and of course driver settings are also involved there.

You can try turning off hardware acceleration to see if this has anything to do with it.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Might be Chrome is running hardware accelerated and Edge is running software. The GPU decoder won't necessarily yield quite the same results, and of course driver settings are also involved there.

You can try turning off hardware acceleration to see if this has anything to do with it.

Edge uses the GPU to render the video. If you check the Task Manager, you'll notice for Edge that the GPU going up, while the CPU barely being utilize. In fact, you'll see the GPU going pretty high with 1080p60 video.

I don't have Chrome, but in Firefox, you'll notice that the GPU is much less used, but the CPU is used much more. This is because Firefox uses hardware acceleration. It is software driven (CPU) with the assistance of the GPU, and not GPU exclusive like Edge.

While security has been questionable, Edge really does perform very well, and eats a heck of a lot less RAM than does anything else I've used. Not really relevant on my desktop, but makes a huge difference on my Atom system with 2 GB of RAM.

Though to be fair, FireFox seems to have a memory leak issue at the moment. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Video codecs by their very definition should all decode the same result universally.  One decoder should not decode 'better' than the other, be it software or hardware.  However this does not discount the possibility of POST PROCESSING that can be done AFTER decoding that one could subjectively view as 'better quality' but that's the post processing, not the decoding.

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

While security has been questionable, Edge really does perform very well, and eats a heck of a lot less RAM than does anything else I've used. Not really relevant on my desktop, but makes a huge difference on my Atom system with 2 GB of RAM.

Though to be fair, FireFox seems to have a memory leak issue at the moment. 

A memory leak is when a process consume and more and RAM while doing a specific task recursive (for example: every time you show a menu, the program would consume more and more memory, and never reduce. Not saying Firefox has this, just giving an example on what I mean) or doing nothing.

Firefox doesn't have a memory leak, but now it consumes more RAM than Chrome. Mostly because Chrome got a bit better in managing its memory.

Edge also consumes a lot of RAM, but not as high as Edge. I don't know how it compared to Chrome, I don't have it.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

A memory leak is when a process consume and more and RAM while doing a specific task recursive (for example: every time you show a menu, the program would consume more and more memory, and never reduce. Not saying Firefox has this, just giving an example on what I mean) or doing nothing.

Firefox doesn't have a memory leak, but now it consumes more RAM than Chrome. Mostly because Chrome got a bit better in managing its memory.

Edge also consumes a lot of RAM, but not as high as Edge. I don't know how it compared to Chrome, I don't have it.

With the last update of Firefox, I noticed excessive RAM usage on my desktop (>2GB) even after cutting my tabs down to just the Google homepage. Obviously, this is a bit of a problem on my other system with the 2 GB.

My eyes see the past…

On 18/5/2018 at 4:06 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

With the last update of Firefox, I noticed excessive RAM usage on my desktop (>2GB) even after cutting my tabs down to just the Google homepage. Obviously, this is a bit of a problem on my other system with the 2 GB.

That's likely a problem with addons, then. Firefox itself doesn't use that much memory. I have a lot of tabs loaded in FF right now, with memory usage at 1.3 GB.

On 5/19/2018 at 5:42 AM, Sakkura said:

That's likely a problem with addons, then. Firefox itself doesn't use that much memory. I have a lot of tabs loaded in FF right now, with memory usage at 1.3 GB.

The only add on running is No Script. Still using a truckload of memory on both systems, handily maxing out the 2 GB windows tablet I have.

My eyes see the past…