Thermal paste instead of adhesive

Nogghan

Can I attach GPU memory and VRM heatsinks with a thick thermal paste like noctua NTH1 instead of a thermal adhesive? Just wondering cause I have some already and don't have the adhesive 

Do you mean instead of thermal pads? If so, I don't think you can replace them with paste as they are thicker.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I don't think you should. Thermal paste is only designed to function properly with an appropriate retention mechanism. You should just grab some thermal pads off of amazon. They're super cheap, and light, so shipping shouldn't cost much.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

3 minutes ago, tikker said:

Do you mean instead of thermal pads? If so, I don't think you can replace them with paste as they are thicker.

No I mean tiny metal heatsinks because I'm swapping the stock cooler for an arctic accelero and you have to put heatsinks not pads on the VRM and memory so they don't overheat 

But nvm I'll just get a thermal adhesive 

5 minutes ago, Nogghan said:

No I mean tiny metal heatsinks because I'm swapping the stock cooler for an arctic accelero and you have to put heatsinks not pads on the VRM and memory so they don't overheat 

But nvm I'll just get a thermal adhesive 

If they don't have a retention mechanism of some sort, then yes you'd want to use an adhesive as they could slide off with paste.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

the accelero comes with adhesive...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

the accelero comes with adhesive...

All the reviews say it's dried up and those are from 2 years ago but thanks I'll just buy some more