Home Surveillance System Recommendations

Hey all, I'm not sure if this is the right area to be posting this, and if not, just give me a heads up, I'll happily move it. 

I am looking for recommendations on home surveillance systems. I'd like to know of good price/performance systems. I want to cover the main areas of my 1500 sqft house. Garage, outside front, outside back, living room/hallway. I should think a 4 channel would be a enough, but if an 8 or 16 channel is a better deal, throw it my way. I just don't know what's reliable and what's not. Or what's overkill.

Oh, and notifications to my phone is a must. 

Thanks in advance! 

NZXT S340 Elite | Intel Core i7-8700k | 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 | Asus Strix z370e | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | Corsair CX750M

Can't speak for a whole system but we use the Ring video doorbell at our house and it works great.  When someone approaches the front door it notifies my phone (iPhone 8+) and opens a video and audio window so that I can see and talk with the person at the door.  Works via wifi to connect to my router so it doesn't matter if I'm in the house or in town, I can still see and hear the person at the door.  It has additional stuff that you can get for it to enlarge your system to include other parts of the inside and outside of the house.  Give it a look and check it out.

https://ring.com/

Price performance wise i would say Dahua. The camera's are pretty much plug and play and do not require a powersupply as that is done by the NVR itself.

For outside the starlite camera's are amazing! They have push notification and works with p2p client so you do not have to to any forwarding crap.

should it just have a live view and notify you or do you want to record everything as well?

On the really cheap side, I bought a couple Wyzecam V2's to play with and they are quite impressive for the money. While they are intended to be indoor only, there are "enclosures" on Amazon people have had good luck with using outdoors on the V1 and I'm pretty sure it fits the V2 as well. Free cloud storage for 1 or 2 weeks is the really crazy thing about these considering they are only $20...

Next step in price would be a NVR package for a few hundred dollars, usually the NVR and cameras both kinda suck, but hey, its cheap and easy to start off with. Its going to depend on the brand/model if they will have push notifications.

Then you have the Nest/Arlo/etc. which are really easy to setup and use, but can get extremely expensive, and you are locked into their devices.

The best option IMO is piecing something together yourself. Use an old gaming computer, or anything with a decent CPU, and load Blue Iris on it for $60. Then add in virtually any IP camera you want as long as it has RSTP support. As @Dujith said, Dahua cameras are great bang for the buck, or you can get the newer Amcrest cameras which all, or at least most of them, are rebranded Dahua's. I've never used them, but I've heard good things about Hikvision as well. This lets you use POE cameras for where it is hard to get power where you want to mount the camera, PTZ cameras if you want to sweep across a large yard, cheap cameras where you just want a rough idea of what is going on, and expensive cameras for locations you want the best resolution possible.

Blue Iris can be a little tricky if you aren't tech savvy... However, it has a giant community and you can always find the answer to any question. You can do push notifications to their Blue Iris app (you have to pay for it...) or you can set it to email you a screenshot of the camera when there is movement.

18 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

should it just have a live view and notify you or do you want to record everything as well?

I would like to record at least a few days worth, along with live view/notifications

@Scheer, sadly, I do not have an old pc laying around. The only parts I have are fried from a power surge. I am tech savvy, for the most part, so I don't think setting up software will be an issue. 

4 hours ago, Scheer said:

Blue Iris app (you have to pay for it...)

Is this a monthly sub or a 1 time fee? I guess I could just google it... 

After hearing several different opinions now, I'm looking into Hikivision, Amcrest, or Dahua cameras. A Nest or Ring doorbell(undecided if I actually want this completely yet), and some sort of NVR?( is the NVR the recording station? I assume? I may not be understanding that right) 

NZXT S340 Elite | Intel Core i7-8700k | 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 | Asus Strix z370e | Asus Strix GTX 1070 | Corsair CX750M

so since you will need a place to store all the files and are starting from scratch i would propose to get a synology NAS which has a build in function for network cameras.

for the cameras you can get whatever you like or even go for a cheap option of using Raspberry pi zero W with the camera module.

Synology includes licenses for two cameras with the NAS and additional licenses for up to 40 cameras can be purchased but you will need a high end NAS from them to handle 40 cameras and safe all the video streams at once.

I installed a hikvision system 2 years ago and absolutely recommend it.  8/16channel poe NVR, with 6x 5mp bullet cams.  Very feature rich and budget friendly with no subscription fees.  Can access it from my phone or any web browser.

I ordered my NVR without HDs and installed my own 2x WD black 8TBs.

Hikvision is the OEM for the majority of the systems out there.

2 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

I installed a hikvision system 2 years ago and absolutely recommend it.  8/16channel poe NVR, with 6x 5mp bullet cams.  Very feature rich and budget friendly with no subscription fees.  Can access it from my phone or any web browser.

I ordered my NVR without HDs and installed my own 2x WD black 8TBs.

Hikvision is the OEM for the majority of the systems out there.

@JokerProduction I am looking at Hikvision website, but the only way to buy them is from the distributors. Which look to be all Enterprise style distributors. Where did you get yours from? I ask because I cannot see prices without having to register, and registering for 100 websites just to price check each one is a bit tedious for a system... 

4 hours ago, Valito said:

@JokerProduction I am looking at Hikvision website, but the only way to buy them is from the distributors. Which look to be all Enterprise style distributors. Where did you get yours from? I ask because I cannot see prices without having to register, and registering for 100 websites just to price check each one is a bit tedious for a system... 

I bought mine off Aliexpress.  Again it was 2 years ago so there was only a few sellers on  back then and looking now it seems there is tons on there but should give you a good general idea of pricing.

I believe I paid 399US for the NVR and 85$ for each cam which are the 5mp 2.8mm POE fixed Bullet cams.  Seems pricing on the NVR has came down a little but the cams are a bit more.  Definatly recommend getting more channels on the DVR than you need as the bigger ones come with more processing power.

36 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

I bought mine off Aliexpress.  Again it was 2 years ago so there was only a few sellers on  back then and looking now it seems there is tons on there but should give you a good general idea of pricing.

I believe I paid 399US for the NVR and 85$ for each cam which are the 5mp 2.8mm POE fixed Bullet cams.  Seems pricing on the NVR has came down a little but the cams are a bit more.  Definatly recommend getting more channels on the DVR than you need as the bigger ones come with more processing power.

I will register for that one and take a look. The only one I found a price on so far wanted nearly 600 for the E2/8P. Which is quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a 4 camera set up. Thanks for the information! 

On 5/18/2018 at 9:26 PM, Valito said:

I would like to record at least a few days worth, along with live view/notifications

@Scheer, sadly, I do not have an old pc laying around. The only parts I have are fried from a power surge. I am tech savvy, for the most part, so I don't think setting up software will be an issue. 

Is this a monthly sub or a 1 time fee? I guess I could just google it... 

After hearing several different opinions now, I'm looking into Hikivision, Amcrest, or Dahua cameras. A Nest or Ring doorbell(undecided if I actually want this completely yet), and some sort of NVR?( is the NVR the recording station? I assume? I may not be understanding that right) 

The app is a one time $10 charge. Personally I don't care for notifications and just use the webserver feature for remote viewing.

Yes, NVR is the recording station. Blue Iris installed on a PC would be one option for an NVR, or you can buy a dedicated unit from a company that is basically a PC with custom software on it. One of the many reasons I chose to go with Blue Iris was the ability to upgrade down the line, and still have working hardware left over to repurpose. If you watch Slickdeals the Dell T30 with a Xeon comes up every month or so for $300. https://slickdeals.net/f/11473499-dell-t30-xeon-is-back-299-with-coupon-code?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1 1TB would give you a few weeks to a month of storage depending on how you have it recording and the number of cameras, and the e3 in there will easily handle a dozen high resolution cameras. Would just need to add a Windows OS and Blue Iris.

Nest does sort of work with Blue Iris surprisingly, however Ring is completely closed off and will only work with the Ring app.

On 20.5.2018 at 5:13 AM, Valito said:

I will register for that one and take a look. The only one I found a price on so far wanted nearly 600 for the E2/8P. Which is quite a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a 4 camera set up. Thanks for the information! 

so what is the total budget then for the system itself including recording function and 4 cameras?

even the cheapest possible way to make 4 network cameras with a decent picture will cost you about 120-150 bucks for the cameras alone.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:00 PM, Scheer said:

The app is a one time $10 charge. Personally I don't care for notifications and just use the webserver feature for remote viewing.

Yes, NVR is the recording station. Blue Iris installed on a PC would be one option for an NVR, or you can buy a dedicated unit from a company that is basically a PC with custom software on it. One of the many reasons I chose to go with Blue Iris was the ability to upgrade down the line, and still have working hardware left over to repurpose. If you watch Slickdeals the Dell T30 with a Xeon comes up every month or so for $300. https://slickdeals.net/f/11473499-dell-t30-xeon-is-back-299-with-coupon-code?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1 1TB would give you a few weeks to a month of storage depending on how you have it recording and the number of cameras, and the e3 in there will easily handle a dozen high resolution cameras. Would just need to add a Windows OS and Blue Iris.

Nest does sort of work with Blue Iris surprisingly, however Ring is completely closed off and will only work with the Ring app.

Good to know about the App. $10 one time is totally okay with me. I just didn't want monthly subs. 

I love slickdeals. I'll keep an eye on the Dell. So you're saying a regular server + blue iris software is better than the hikvision stuff? in your opinion, that is. 

I would use the doorbell camera separately from the security. I wouldn't worry about tying it in together, since all the reviews tell me it works fine anyway. I mainly want that one to be lazy, to be honest. 

On 5/22/2018 at 2:39 AM, Pixel5 said:

so what is the total budget then for the system itself including recording function and 4 cameras?

even the cheapest possible way to make 4 network cameras with a decent picture will cost you about 120-150 bucks for the cameras alone.

I was thinking about $500-$600 budget. it's flexible, but thought maybe i could find a system a bit cheaper overall. 

5 minutes ago, Valito said:

I was thinking about $500-$600 budget. it's flexible, but thought maybe i could find a system a bit cheaper overall. 

then depending on how much of the video you want to record and how long you want to save it i would recommend a synology system and what ever kind of network camera you want and fits your budget.

here you can calculate how much storage you will need for a given amount of camera and some other parameters.

https://www.synology.com/de-de/support/nvr_selector?cameraNumber=4&storeDays=7&fps=25&codec=H.264&resolution=1280

8 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

then depending on how much of the video you want to record and how long you want to save it i would recommend a synology system and what ever kind of network camera you want and fits your budget.

here you can calculate how much storage you will need for a given amount of camera and some other parameters.

https://www.synology.com/de-de/support/nvr_selector?cameraNumber=4&storeDays=7&fps=25&codec=H.264&resolution=1280

I was super excited about Synology's Surveillance System, until I found out there is a $50/camera license fee (the first two are free though)... That is nearly as much as a decent IP camera.

1 hour ago, Scheer said:

I was super excited about Synology's Surveillance System, until I found out there is a $50/camera license fee (the first two are free though)... That is nearly as much as a decent IP camera.

yea if you want to build a big system thats one thing to consider but on the flip side most other surveillance systems only offer you X amount of cameras and if you need more you need to buy another system.

i guess its more worth it when you need a NAS anyways or already got one but its still a good easy to use and cost effective solution especially if you want to save the files for a while.

Your budget pretty much restricts you to the likes of Hikvision/Dahua. They make very good value for money cameras with a good picture.

Biggest thing to watch is security wise with firmware patching. Some grey market/counterfeit cameras are on the market and some have hacked firmware that can't be updated with official firmware and so these devices can be vulnerable once exploits are found.

Avoid port forwarding cameras.

Recording wise there are several options. 

Edge recording is an SD card on the camera, it's cheap short term for a small install. Cons are small storage space for cost, footage will be stolen with camera, excessive write cycles wearing out the card and you are locked into whatever interface and software thee manufacturer uses.

A dedicated NVR. They are typically a bit pricey for what they are, however they are pretty much set and forget, small and fairly efficient, whack it in somewhere and forget about it. They are not as powerful as a PC and not as flexible and can be a bit clunky at times. However I'd say they are more reliable usually.

PC running VMS software. Here you can pick a system that you want that is compatible with your cameras, you get the flexibility and power of a PC and can run other software and integrations also. Cons can be cost and a little less reliable. There are some VMS systems that are free or have demo or limited edition for small systems, some of the better large scale systems are expensive and have camera licencing costs and SMA fees to keep software up to date.

NAS is another option, licencing can be a bit pricy and it is a costly option overall if just for this purpose, however if you already have or want a NAS this is definitely a viable option for a small install.

Cloud lastly, issue with cloud is it's all locked into one the one manufacturer, typically picture quality and settings are not as good and it is usually only event based recording, not 24/7. The positive is with a nice app and software it can be a nicer experience for online viewing and notifications as it's already cloud based and doesn't involve much configuration at all.

Hope some of this helps.

9 hours ago, Scheer said:

That is expensive for a small domestic system however it's about par for the course for commercial systems so Synology may be aiming more for the SOHO and small business market.

Also I'd say that really $100-150+ for a decent camera from an authorised supplier, the ones I really would love to use but domestic customers can't afford are several times that.