Storage Drive randomly disconnects itself during use

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
Just now, JustMATT said:

Just tried it, its a lot faster with it unplugged, but the problem of the drive not being there is still there

Then its a bad drive. Thats common with bad drives as the system is waiting for a drive and it just won't respond. Copy all the data you care about and do a warranty replacement of it.

Whenever I use my storage drive (Seagate Barracuda 4TB) and sometimes when I don't it just doesnt appear as a drive in my system while being physically connected, the only way I have found to fix this so far is to keep restarting windows until it works again, which is extremely annoying. Something also seems to be clicking, most noticeably when the drive Isn't being recognized (doesnt show up in task manager, anything that was running on it crashes, and it disappears from file manager) 

I dont get any sort of error code but it doesn't take a genius to figure out something isnt right, heres a video of my system with the clicking sound when this happens: 

Here are my specs:

• Windows 10 Home OEM 64bit
  • Gigabyte F2A68HM-H
  • AMD Athlon X4 845
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 + 4GB DDR3 (no meaningful markings other than 4GB DDR3)
  • MSI Gaming RX470 4GB
  • KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (OS Drive/SSD)
  • Seagate ST4000DM004 (Storage Drive/HDD) <-- This is the thing thats disconnecting
  • EVGA 450B 80+ Bronze 450W PSU

That should be everything, if I'm missing something, tell me!

"Every program needs 2 things: 1: A dark theme... and 2: A 'Fuck off!' button, no exceptions!" -Me

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

This feels like a bad hdd, esp with the clicking. 

Id rma this drive, and restore backups onto it.

The clicking seems to be coming from the power supply though, you might be right, I don’t know, also I don’t have any drives big enough to backup this one, I don’t even have it fully formatted.

EDIT: It also is taking really long to boot now (don’t know why since my OS is on my SSD, but ok) and things running on it take forever to load

"Every program needs 2 things: 1: A dark theme... and 2: A 'Fuck off!' button, no exceptions!" -Me

3 minutes ago, JustMATT said:

The clicking seems to be coming from the power supply though, you might be right, I don’t know, also I don’t have any drives big enough to backup this one, I don’t even have it fully formatted.

EDIT: It also is taking really long to boot now (don’t know why since my OS is on my SSD, but ok) and things running on it take forever to load

if you unplug it does it work fine? get backups if you care about your data.

I have been restarting my PC since posting this in an attempt to get access to the drive back, and it still hasn't been accessible for long enough to even start up steam

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

if you unplug it does it work fine? get backups if you care about your data.

Unplug what? my computer works fine but i cant use my storage drive when it disconnects which holds a lot of my stuff on it, effectively limiting me to chrome and discord....

Just now, JustMATT said:

Unplug what? my computer works fine but i cant use my storage drive when it disconnects which holds a lot of my stuff on it, effectively limiting me to chrome and discord....

if you unplug the hdd is the system fast again?

You really want backups.

could be a bad SATA cable or bad SATA port. A clicking hard drive is not a healthy sign though. by that time they are already terminal.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

You really want backups.

Let me try it...

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

could be a bad SATA cable or bad SATA port. A clicking hard drive is not a healthy sign though. by that time they are already terminal.

Greeeeeaaaat, it’s also the newest price of hardware in my system, I got this drive for Christmas 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You really want backups.

Just tried it, its a lot faster with it unplugged, but the problem of the drive not being there is still there

2 minutes ago, JustMATT said:

Greeeeeaaaat, it’s also the newest price of hardware in my system, I got this drive for Christmas 

nice thing is its probably going to be replaced under warranty for you.

Just now, JustMATT said:

Then its a bad drive. Thats common with bad drives as the system is waiting for a drive and it just won't respond. Copy all the data you care about and do a warranty replacement of it.

but I cant copy the data to a drive i dont have ;-;

Just now, JustMATT said:

but I cant copy the data to a drive i dont have ;-;

You need a backup, go buy an external drive like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB8000100/dp/B01HAPGEIE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1526435676&sr=8-3&keywords=8tb+hdd&dpID=41mDnJ8-plL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Drives will fail, thats why you have backups.

Well, i guess its a good thing that I didnt format it correctly because now I only need like a 2TB drive for a back up

@Electronics Wizardy Shipping in Canada sucks, do you think its possible it could get ANY worse in the next few days if i leave it unplugged?

Just now, JustMATT said:

@Electronics Wizardy Shipping in Canada sucks, do you think its possible it could get ANY worse in the next few days if i leave it unplugged?

Its probably going to be fine if its just sitting there unplugged.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its probably going to be fine if its just sitting there unplugged.

Alright, thanks!