Is Evga 750w g3 enough for evga gtx 1080 ftw 2??

specsnerd007

So I have a gtx 1080 ftw 2 and i7 7700k with gskill rgb 3200 16gig kit and h100i with nzxt s340. The power supply I previously chose was Corsair tx550m some one in Tom's hardware said it would be enough and I bought it. Apparently the PSU got bullied by my gpu  after researching bout why my PC was freezing in between games and random shutdowns or restarts. And i guess my gpu's quality degraded a little bit becoz of that overload. Some one said that In online forms that that happens if you don't supply enough juice to your gpu. So I chose the 750w evga g3 and not the g2 becoz Amazon has shitty algorithms to increase the price of it after you watch the product page few times. I just wanted to make sure if the PSU will be able to handle it . Becoz I spent 108$ for the evga g3 . Also there won't be any compatibility problems right ?? Just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Even a 550 would be fine, so wattage wasn't the issue with your last supply.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Freezing in games is absolutely not caused by the PSU. It's something else. 

:)

550W is enough even with both CPU and GPU OC. 750W can power two 1080s.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Freezing in games is absolutely not caused by the PSU. It's something else. 

No I thought my gpu is getting damaged to so I borrowed my friends gtx 1060 for like 2 months and it's working fine with no freezes. I made a forum in nvidia's sight too they immediately said the rgb ram and h100i and the 1080 was overload the PSU and they were right I checked in hwInfo it runs ok when it's Al 70 w for gpu then all of a suddenly when it goes to 180 or 170 w the computer after some minutes freezed.

1 minute ago, specsnerd007 said:

No I thought my gpu is getting damaged to so I borrowed my friends gtx 1060 for like 2 months and it's working fine with no freezes. I made a forum in nvidia's sight too they immediately said the rgb ram and h100i and the 1080 was overload the PSU and they were right I checked in hwInfo it runs ok when it's Al 70 w for gpu then all of a suddenly when it goes to 180 or 170 w the computer after some minutes freezed.

Then it's more likely a problem with the GPU. 

Anyone saying that you're overloading a 550W PSU shouldn't really be trusted. 

Just now, seon123 said:

Or his Corsair TX550W was just bad and could not handle high loads on some lanes.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Or his Corsair TX550W was just bad and could not handle high loads on some lanes.

But a faulty PSU shouldn't cause freezes

Just now, seon123 said:

yeah

Just now, WereCat said:

Yeh but it was handling 1060 just fine. The interesting thing is when I turn on vsync on my 1080 the power usage drops and the game runs fine for like and hour or so. When previously it froze the PC in like 10mins.

Just now, specsnerd007 said:

Yeh but it was handling 1060 just fine. The interesting thing is when I turn on vsync on my 1080 the power usage drops and the game runs fine for like and hour or so. When previously it froze the PC in like 10mins.

There should be another PCIe power cable that comes with the PSU. Try that.

This unit is semi-modular right? Try connect to a different connector on the PSU.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You are saying that I shouldn't trust Nvidia forums  take a look at this I made this 5months ago it's the same problem- 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1032760/evga-gtx-1080-ftw-2-freezes-the-pc-while-gaming-and-furmark-tests-/#5265892

I made it 5months ago becoz i just recently got enough money to buy a PSU.

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

There should be another PCIe power cable that comes with the PSU. Try that.

This unit is semi-modular right? Try connect to a different connector on the PSU.

I tried the PSU pcie connectors not the gpu connectors. In evga's manual it said use the PSU connectors not the evga connectors which came in the box. That was only If the PSU didn't come with the required cables.

Edited by specsnerd007
Extra info

1 minute ago, specsnerd007 said:

You are saying that I shouldn't trust Nvidia forums  take a look at this I made this 5months ago it's the same problem- 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1032760/evga-gtx-1080-ftw-2-freezes-the-pc-while-gaming-and-furmark-tests-/#5265892

No, I'm telling you not to trust the people that seriously overestimate the power draw of the PC. Especially the ones using PSU calculators. Forums are just a bunch of people. 

Since replacing the GPU works, it might be a faulty GPU. 

2 minutes ago, specsnerd007 said:

There is either something wrong with your 1080 or the PSU because I have been runing my overclocked 1080ti and i7 for half a year on a 550W Super Flower Golden Green PSU just fine without issues.

The only reason why I upgraded to a EVGA G3 750W is that after I BIOS flashed my 1080ti to remove the power limit, the card can draw 400W on its own. Even then, the PSU was not an issue, it just limited my card OC as it could not draw enough power to sustain its clock.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

No, I'm telling you not to trust the people that seriously overestimate the power draw of the PC. Especially the ones using PSU calculators. Forums are just a bunch of people. 

Since replacing the GPU works, it might be a faulty GPU. 

Did you take a look at that forum they said the normal load would somewhere around 500w something like that.

Did you take a look at that forum they said the normal load would somewhere around 500w something like that.

And I said that they should not be trusted. Anandtech's review of the 1080 measured it at 330W wall power with an overclocked HEDT platform. 330W is quite a lot lower than 500W. 

Dudes I'm really confused now nobody told me that before that my gpu is faulty. I don't want it to be cause it's obviously expensive af. Plus it's evga they are well reputed for the quality and customer service.

Dudes I'm really confused now nobody told me that before that my gpu is faulty. I don't want it to be cause it's obviously expensive af. Plus it's evga they are well reputed for the quality and customer service.

My EVGA 1080ti died 2 times already because the EVGA Hybrid kit I ordered was faulty. They are great regarding customer service but that doesent mean that they cant fuck up the HW from time to time. I got everything replaced after I contacted them.

Just now, WereCat said:

My EVGA 1080ti died 2 times already because the EVGA Hybrid kit I ordered was faulty. They are great regarding customer service but that doesent mean that they cant fuck up the HW from time to time. I got everything replaced after I contacted them.

Ok Ill see if the g3 fixes it or not otherwise I'll contact them it's still in warranty. Btw 500w doesn't mean that the PSU will be able to supply 500w it's generally a lot lower than that it's like 440 or 410w if your PSU is 80+ gold. 

Ok Ill see if the g3 fixes it or not otherwise I'll contact them it's still in warranty. Btw 500w doesn't mean that the PSU will be able to supply 500w it's generally a lot lower than that it's like 440 or 410w if your PSU is 80+ gold. 

No. 550W on any PSU from any decent brand means it's able to output 550W at its maximum rated temperature 24/7 for the entirety of its warranty. 

20 minutes ago, WereCat said:

This intrigued me ... Could this be the prob?? Since 1060 doesn't draw much from single lane but 1080 does.

That guy saying he's worked it out to 635 watt is a bloody idiot, simple as lol. 550 is enough for PSU, and even that has head room in it.

He also recommends a PSU that can handle 57 amps on the 12v rail if you're overclocking. That's 680 watts. What a guy.. he shouldn't be allowed to give out PSU help lmao.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

32 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Like what? I've specifically had faulty PSUs cause freezes, that were only remedied with a swap out of the PSU.