Need memory channel mythbuster !

Go to solution Solved by asand1,
2 hours ago, Exao said:

Thanks for the information :)

I couldn't manage not to notice that you nerds know everything about memory, but how about cereals and milk uh ?

For the best quality you want post or Kellogg's. Bang for the buck is going to be Malt O' Meal bag cereals. I prefer 2% And Vitamin D milk, as 1% is too much like water.

Hello everyone ! 9_9

I recently built my very first own gaming rig and I am already planning on a Memory upgrade: from a lonely 8Gb G.Skill Aegis 2400MHz stick to anything faster and 16Gb, but when I went looking around for something with 4 sticks (since i've got a shiny MSI Z370 SLI PLUS motherboard) and then remembered that "multi-channel" thing, so I made my researches, scavaging dead forum threads and old Quora topics but I could'nt find anything to build my trust on, so I've got numerous questions, easy ones for you guys I'm pretty sure ! :x

The tough ones:

1. How faster is quad-channel than dual-channel ?
  2. Can I buy today a 16Gb dual-channel kit and in a few years buy the exact same 16Gb dual-channel kit, stuff it in my mobo and expect it to run nice and cool ? (That's the information I need)
    1. If yes, will it run in quad-channel ?
    2. If no, what are the hazards ?

The less important ones:

1. Why are premium 2x8Gb Trident Z RGB kits around the same price as usualy-non-premium HyperX Fury 4x4Gb kits ?
  2. Do you pour milk before or after cereals ?

I've been following the youtube channel for quite a long time, and yes I have watched this video while doing researches, but this was in 2013 and since i've heard a lot of contradictory stuff I'm wondering if things haven't changed nowadays... That's why i'm confused and need this awesome community's advices !

If you dont understand me, make sure to ask me a rephrase. I am not a native speaker and my english isn't perfect.

Z370 doesnt support quad channel memory... 2 channels and 2 dimm slots per channel

You can add 16gb later 

Look at timing of the sticks, vendor, brand and marketing, hyper x is a premium brand after all...

1) Theoretically its quite a lot faster, but would you actually notice a difference in day-to-day use? no, probably not.

Image result

2) Yes you can stick in the exact same kit and it will work, but it won't run in quad channel, that's only supported with the X chipsets and a couple Xeon families, oh and Threadripper.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Both of the above posts are correct. Another I'd mention is, why not just grab another 8Gb stick of what you have and overclock? It would be cheaper than buying a whole new kit.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just buy 2x8gb 3000mhz ram sticks if you have the funds. You don't get quad channel on Z370, and theres very few scenarios where you need more than 16gb outside editing/programming 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

5 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

Z370 doesnt support quad channel memory

So that's the first thing I overlooked ! Thanks 9_9

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Yes you can stick it in and it will work, but no it won't run in quad channel, that's only supported with the X chipsets and a couple Xeon families, oh and Threadripper.

Thanks to you too ;)

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Why not just grab another 8Gb stick of what you have and overclock? It would be cheaper than buying a whole new kit.

Because I wanted a dual/quad-channel kit for specs, maybe I was wrong. Will definitely consider this too :)

Now that it is clear, what would happen if I stick in a quad-channel kit ? Run it in dual-channel ?

If you dont understand me, make sure to ask me a rephrase. I am not a native speaker and my english isn't perfect.

1 minute ago, Exao said:

Thanks to you too ;)

Now that it is clear, what would happen if I stick in a quad-channel kit ? Run it in dual-channel ?

Ram itself isn't single, dual or quad channel, whether it runs as any of them depends on the motherboard and which dimm slots are used.

If you put a "quad channel" set into a Z370 board, it'll just run as 2 dual channel... channels? sounds wrong saying that, not sure how else to phrase it though.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, Exao said:

Thanks to you too ;)

I think it doesn't matter from the ram itself in what config you run it, you can mix and match as you wish, just match speed and timings to get the highest possible

Well A Quad Channel kit and two Dual Channel kits have only one difference :
You pay more for packaging on the two Dual Channel kits.

"Quad Channel" requires X79/X99/X299/"X399", to run in Quad Channel.
Quad Channel memory in LGA115x socket will always run in Dual Channel.
VBxJYH2.gif
^Quad Channel 16GB (4x4GB) vs. Dual Channel 16GB (2x8GB)

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

3 minutes ago, Exao said:

Because I wanted a dual/quad-channel kit for specs, maybe I was wrong. Will definitely consider this too :)

You wont get quad channel - don't confuse slots with channels. Most ATX quad channel motherboards have 8 dimms.

If you put a quad channel kit in a dual channel board, you will get dual channel bandwidth with the capacity of the 4 sticks. Put that same kit in an X299/X399 system and you get quad channel bandwidth. 

Z/H (intel) series, X370/X470,B350 (AMD) are all dual channel systems, some have 2 dimm slots some have 4 dimm slots - this just allows more capacity

X99, X299 (Intel), X399 (AMD) are all quad channel systems, normally with 8 dimm slots

There are other variants, aka 1366 Intel systems were triple channel with 3 or 6 dimm slots but they are 8 years old now 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

You wont get quad channel - don't confuse slots with channels. Most ATX quad channel motherboards have 8 dimms.

If you put a quad channel kit in a dual channel board, you will get dual channel bandwidth with the capacity of the 4 sticks. Put that same kit in an X299/X399 system and you get quad channel bandwidth. 

Z/H (intel) series, X370/X470,B350 (AMD) are all dual channel systems, some have 2 dimm slots some have 4 dimm slots - this just allows more capacity

X99, X299 (Intel), X399 (AMD) are all quad channel systems, normally with 8 dimm slots

There are other variants, aka 1366 Intel systems were triple channel with 3 or 6 dimm slots but they are 8 years old now 

Looks like I've got a lot to gather information about, thanks xD

1 hour ago, Exao said:

Thanks to you too ;)

Quad channel would be 8 sticks. Your mother board has dual channel (2x2).

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 hours ago, asand1 said:

Quad channel would be 8 sticks. Your mother board has dual channel (2x2).

I couldn't manage not to notice that you nerds know everything about memory, but how about cereals and milk uh ?

2 hours ago, Exao said:

For the best quality you want post or Kellogg's. Bang for the buck is going to be Malt O' Meal bag cereals. I prefer 2% And Vitamin D milk, as 1% is too much like water.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430