I Want to Make an App

Hi! I came up with an idea for an app recently and like to be able to make it myself. I've got very little experience in programming (in 9th grade I took a class in C++ and made a blackjack game, but i dont remember much from that), but I'd like to learn! A friend of mine who is very good at programming, recommended that I start with a course on C# on Udemy (by a guy named Mosh something-or-another) and then move on to another course that would teach me something that works with C# and can make apps that work on all platforms (ios, google, whatever else there is idk). I don't remember what it was called, I'm pretty sure it started with Xan- though. Does anyone have any recomendations? Should I start there? Somewhere else? I'm lost here and I need some help, thanks in advance to anyone who helps me!

PS: It'll be a navigation app if that helps.

Would you like to develop an app for a specific OS? In that case you need specific tool for each OS like:

•  iOS: you need an Apple machine for start, you could use some VM (Virtual Machine) software but from my experience it's a very bad solution. Next you need Xcode for write the actual code and relative testing; used language Swift or Objective-C
  • Android: just need Android Studio; used language Java;
  • Windows Phone (What????): you need a machine with Windows you could use a VM with fairly better result then MacOS but still not the best solution. Next requirement is Visual Studio, (note: the actual pattern for App develop is UWP, until they kill it, so the app will be available to all the Windows Platform es: XboX, Windows Phone, Windows 10, etc.. as long as the UI is compatible with these platform); used language C#;

If you are planning on a more spread approach you could use some framework that let you use the same code and port it to the various OS.

• Xamarian is one of these and its strongly promoted by Microsoft, it use C# as language; can access native API
  • React Native is from Facebook and use Javascript; can access native API
  • Ionic; use Typescript; can't access native API

Finally for publish the app each Platform require some fee, Apple Store ask around 99$/year, Google Play ask a one time 25$ fee, and Windows should be one time 12$. That is if you want to use the Official Store. There are other way to spread your app without paying these fee.

I hope I have been helpful

EDIT: just to be clear, you still need an Apple machine even if you use a cross platform framework.

Edited by jincio
Add information

On 5/11/2018 at 5:52 AM, jincio said:

Would you like to develop an app for a specific OS? In that case you need specific tool for each OS like:

•  iOS: you need an Apple machine for start, you could use some VM (Virtual Machine) software but from my experience it's a very bad solution. Next you need Xcode for write the actual code and relative testing; used language Swift or Objective-C
  • Windows Phone (What????): you need a machine with Windows you could use a VM with fairly better result then MacOS but still not the best solution. Next requirement is Visual Studio, (note: the actual pattern for App develop is UWP, until they kill it, so the app will be available to all the Windows Platform es: XboX, Windows Phone, Windows 10, etc.. as long as the UI is compatible with these platform); used language C#;

If you are planning on a more spread approach you could use some framework that let you use the same code and port it to the various OS.

• Xamarian is one of these and its strongly promoted by Microsoft, it use C# as language; can access native API

Finally for publish the app each Platform require some fee, Apple Store ask around 99$/year, Google Play ask a one time 25$ fee, and Windows should be one time 12$. That is if you want to use the Official Store. There are other way to spread your app without paying these fee.

EDIT: just to be clear, you still need an Apple machine even if you use a cross platform framework.

for android, you can pretty much just upload an apk to a website and let others download it and install. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Or go with Apache Cordova and make it web based?

You need to give more information for people to make recommendations.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

As a note, even if If you go purely web app make sure to have/budget for an iPod or equivalent for testing (I use a an iPod touch since I don't need mobile/GPS). So many sites I write which work on every other browser and are valid HTML5 magically fail on iPhone's super garbage webkit renderer - I think they break sites on purpose to try to force people to write native apps.

Web Developer and Java contractor

On 5/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, jincio said:

I have an iPhone, but not an Apple computer. I honestly believe this app will be very helpful to me specifically and more than anything else, I just want to be able to prove that I am capable of making it. So I want to be able to use it for sure, even if I’m the only one who gets to use it. There is no easy way to make it work for Apple without owning an Apple computer?

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful. :^)

4 hours ago, donkeykonky said:

I have an iPhone, but not an Apple computer. I honestly believe this app will be very helpful to me specifically and more than anything else, I just want to be able to prove that I am capable of making it. So I want to be able to use it for sure, even if I’m the only one who gets to use it. There is no easy way to make it work for Apple without owning an Apple computer?

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful. :^)

The simplest solution i see there is to use some something like Virtual Box and install macOS  on a Virtual Machine, if your PC is powerful and you gave enough resource to the virtual machine you should be able to get a decent experience.

Because even if use use some cross-platform framework you would still need Xcode to do some configuration and to compile the app for iOS.

Alternatively you could try to get your hand on a second-hand Mac or a Mac Mini as it's the less expensive xD or build a Hackintosh.

Or you can always switch to Android ;)

On 14.5.2018 at 6:34 PM, jincio said:

The simplest solution i see there is to use some something like Virtual Box and install macOS  on a Virtual Machine, if your PC is powerful and you gave enough resource to the virtual machine you should be able to get a decent experience.

Because even if use use some cross-platform framework you would still need Xcode to do some configuration and to compile the app for iOS.

Alternatively you could try to get your hand on a second-hand Mac or a Mac Mini as it's the less expensive xD or build a Hackintosh.

Or you can always switch to Android ;)

Thanks for the advice!

I'm actually probably going to be switching to android within a year, but for now, I'm stuck with my iPhone. So a couple questions: First of all, right now, I don't have a working computer. I plan on getting a new laptop for the summer that I can use to work on this project. I have been doing tons of research on what laptop I should get, but the more information I find out, the more confused I become. At this point, I have absolutely no idea what laptop I should get. Do you have any recommendations for good powerful laptops that are relatively fast, and have a good battery life, for a relatively low price (under $1000)? I need something that will work good for this project, but also for productivity, online browsing, light gaming, and maybe things like photoshop. It doesn't have to be perfect for all of those things, but the better you know of for that price range, the better it will be. Secondly, this app project will be my first, I want to be able to come out with a good, functioning app. Do you think it makes sense to build it cross-platform for my first ever app or should I stick to a single platform for my first and as I improve, maybe get into that? The thing is, I really do think this app will have potential to really take off and in that case, I want it to be available to as many people as possible. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

well this is a tough one because theres a lot of ways you could go.

c# and xamarin is generally not a bad idea and once you have one object oriented language down everything else is just syntax

but you could also got native and get android studio and learn java

or there are a lot of cross plattform frameworks letting you do the whole thing in html css like you would a website which im not a fan of but it is there.

me id also suggest c# but maybe thats just because i started with c# i cant tell at this point

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

well this is a tough one because theres a lot of ways you could go.

c# and xamarin is generally not a bad idea and once you have one object oriented language down everything else is just syntax

but you could also got native and get android studio and learn java

or there are a lot of cross plattform frameworks letting you do the whole thing in html css like you would a website which im not a fan of but it is there.

me id also suggest c# but maybe thats just because i started with c# i cant tell at this point

Thanks, I think I'll start with C# so that I'll be able to move on to Xamarin to make an app for all platforms at once.

7 minutes ago, donkeykonky said:

Thanks, I think I'll start with C# so that I'll be able to move on to Xamarin to make an app for all platforms at once.

if youre going c# let me suggest you start with a regular old command line programm or windows forms then move to uwp and xamarin. starting with xamarin with no experience id say is pretty difficult to get into

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

4 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

if youre going c# let me suggest you start with a regular old command line programm or windows forms then move to uwp and xamarin. starting with xamarin with no experience id say is pretty difficult to get into

Yup, that's the plan. Someone showed me some Udemy courses in order to build myself up to the point where I'll be able to use Xamarin. Do you have any other ideas that I should do instead/in addition?

1 hour ago, donkeykonky said:

Yup, that's the plan. Someone showed me some Udemy courses in order to build myself up to the point where I'll be able to use Xamarin. Do you have any other ideas that I should do instead/in addition?

honestly im not familiar with udemy. but theres alot of introductionary tutorials online for free already. most impertant to was always having a function in mind and not just doing meaningless exercises.

also if you want and our timezones somewhat co-align id could basically tutor you over discord if you want ;) and free of charge :D

1 hour ago, donkeykonky said:

if you have any questions at all along the way im happy to help and feel free to add me on discord as well

honestly im not familiar with udemy. but theres alot of introductionary tutorials online for free already. most impertant to was always having a function in mind and not just doing meaningless exercises.

also if you want and our timezones somewhat co-align id could basically tutor you over discord if you want ;) and free of charge :D

Woah! that'd be amazing! I've never used discord and don't really know what it is, but I'd definitely be willing to find out. I'm gonna go try and make an account now. Dude, you're the freaking best, thank you so much!!

6 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

if you have any questions at all along the way im happy to help and feel free to add me on discord as well

Ok, so I just made a discord, but I still have no idea how it works. What's your name on discord, so I can add you? (mine is donkeykonky)

18 minutes ago, donkeykonky said:

Ok, so I just made a discord, but I still have no idea how it works. What's your name on discord, so I can add you? (mine is donkeykonky)

cool down man :D take your time and get familiar with it my contact info should be somewhere in my profle here on the forum. also im not promising having time for you al the time i do have a day job and other responsibility but if you catch me while im online there then youre welcome to call

cool down man :D take your time and get familiar with it my contact info should be somewhere in my profle here on the forum. also im not promising having time for you al the time i do have a day job and other responsibility but if you catch me while im online there then youre welcome to call

Haha, not a problem. I actually probably won't have any time to do this until mid to late June anyway. I'll definitely keep your contact info, though. Also, I'll try and figure out this whole Discord thing. Thanks again!

Oh, also about time zones, I'm in Israel, which means if you're in Germany, we're only one hour apart, so our time zones align pretty perfectly!

I honestly think paying for a class with a high rating on somewhere like Udemy is a good idea for a greenhorn - when you pay you have some motivation to use the class and the fact that it costs money ensures that the course materials work. A lot of tutorials become out of date or are incomplete, and having a single good starting point to learn from is better than trying to cobble everything together yourself.

Web Developer and Java contractor