Unable to POST Intel S1151 system

hoaxy32

Hi all, 

I've got this setup which I'm struggling to get to POST, Spec's are as follows: Intel Core i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 (rev. 1.0), 2 x 4GB Teamgroup DDR3 1600 (TED34GM1600HC11BK), Corsair AX650.

I'm playing to use it as a test bed so not going to be using an external GPU so onboard is fine.

Am I missing anything here as I've been racking my brain all day? Maybe a DOA item?

Unfortunately, this is my only Intel system in the house so unable to swap out motherboards or cpu's. So any ideas would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Giiman95 said:

If I remember correctly, that board probably needs a UEFI update in order to support that cpu.

Yep. And i THINK you need a 6th gen processor to do so.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

Just now, chckovsky said:

@chckovsky is right. UEFI version F21 is one of the first to support 7th gen chips.

43 minutes ago, hoaxy32 said:

Hi all, 

I've got this setup which I'm struggling to get to POST, Spec's are as follows: Intel Core i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 (rev. 1.0), 2 x 4GB Teamgroup DDR3 1600 (TED34GM1600HC11BK), Corsair AX650.

I'm playing to use it as a test bed so not going to be using an external GPU so onboard is fine.

Am I missing anything here as I've been racking my brain all day? Maybe a DOA item?

Unfortunately, this is my only Intel system in the house so unable to swap out motherboards or cpu's. So any ideas would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance.

Kaby lake only works with DDR3L (the mini ones), and isnt compatible with regular DDR3. They shouldnt even fit in the DIMMs ???

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

34 minutes ago, Giiman95 said:

If I remember correctly, that board probably needs a UEFI update in order to support that cpu.

Ok, I thought that was the case as it mentioned a newer BIOS rev on the cpu support list. Thanks bud

34 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

32 minutes ago, Giiman95 said:

@chckovsky is right. UEFI version F21 is one of the first to support 7th gen chips.

15 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Kaby lake only works with DDR3L (the mini ones), and isnt compatible with regular DDR3. They shouldnt even fit in the DIMMs ???

Damn, okay looks like I picked up the wrong kit of RAM. Unfortunately, they do fit oddly enough so I guess same contact layout and notch placement?

Thanks guys, I need to go back to the drawing board on this. 

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, hoaxy32 said:

Ok, I thought that was the case as it mentioned a newer BIOS rev on the cpu support list. Thanks bud

Damn, okay looks like I picked up the wrong kit of RAM. Unfortunately, they do fit oddly enough so I guess same contact layout and notch placement?

Thanks guys, I need to go back to the drawing board on this. 

You may want a second opinion on this Then..

I'm not professional when it comes to this stuff. Just an enthusiast. Does the notch on the RAM match up with the notch in the slot?

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

7 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

You may want a second opinion on this Then..

I'm not professional when it comes to this stuff. Just an enthusiast. Does the notch on the RAM match up with the notch in the slot?

Yeah, I think it refers to the DDR3L in the same form factor as normal DDR3 but its just low voltage. So I guess that's why it still fits perfectly even the notch.

1 hour ago, hoaxy32 said:

Yeah, I think it refers to the DDR3L in the same form factor as normal DDR3 but its just low voltage. So I guess that's why it still fits perfectly even the notch.

I misunderstood.. so ignore the strikethrough text. But yeah, you're right. It might need to be the lower power stuff. Interestingly the motherboard's RAM QVL says it supports some regular DDR3 as well? http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-b150m-d3h-ddr3.pdf

Normal DDR3 has the same notch position as the DDR3L in the normal form factor but neither of these match the DDR4 notch.

Not only that, the pin layouts are different.

https://superuser.com/questions/950163/is-ddr4-ram-compatible-in-a-ddr3-ram-slot

8 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

I misunderstood.. so ignore the strikethrough text. But yeah, you're right. It might need to be the lower power stuff. Interestingly the motherboard's RAM QVL says it supports some regular DDR3 as well? http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-b150m-d3h-ddr3.pdf

Normal DDR3 has the same notch position as the DDR3L in the normal form factor but neither of these match the DDR4 notch.

Not only that, the pin layouts are different.

https://superuser.com/questions/950163/is-ddr4-ram-compatible-in-a-ddr3-ram-slot

Yeah exactly what I thought, Maybe since release they've added functionality via BIOS firmware to now include normal DDR3. But as mentioned before the main issue I think is this board doesn't have the correct firmware for my CPU which sucks because I don't have an alternative CPU that will work to be able to do the firmware update lol

5 hours ago, hoaxy32 said:

Yeah exactly what I thought, Maybe since release they've added functionality via BIOS firmware to now include normal DDR3. But as mentioned before the main issue I think is this board doesn't have the correct firmware for my CPU which sucks because I don't have an alternative CPU that will work to be able to do the firmware update lol

damn... perhaps gigabyte can help? if you recently purchased the motherboard as new, the retailer may be able to help too.

5 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

damn... perhaps gigabyte can help? if you recently purchased the motherboard as new, the retailer may be able to help too.

Yeah, I'll see if there is any workaround for that. Maybe see if one of my local PC stores could help to loan a CPU while I do the firmware update.