Slow WiFi

Mr_Taco

Hello, I have a problem with my wifi currently. I recently upgraded to a 100 down 10 up  (charter has horrible up speeds I know) When I watch YouTube my videos buffer a lot, and I ran a speed test for my down and up and I got 1mbps down and up. I know it's on WiFi, but my phone(which is what I took the speed test on) is only about 10-15 feet away from the router, and even then I should still get a good down/up. Do you guys know what could be the cause of this?

What phone do you have?

If it is old, it is very likely that it has a bad WiFi chip inside and cannot take the speeds that the router is giving out.

Try using a modern phone and test the speeds on the new phone.

hi.

What is your wifi settings?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

32 minutes ago, tj_420 said:

What phone do you have?

If it is old, it is very likely that it has a bad WiFi chip inside and cannot take the speeds that the router is giving out.

Try using a modern phone and test the speeds on the new phone.

It is a Samsung Galaxy s6

2 minutes ago, williamcll said:

What is your wifi settings?

I am not exactly sure what you mean by that.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Taco said:

I am not exactly sure what you mean by that.

Did you change any of your wifi settings when you changed provider?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

5 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Did you change any of your wifi settings when you changed provider?

No I did not, I kept the router settings the same.

On 07/05/2018 at 2:42 PM, Mr_Taco said:

It is a Samsung Galaxy s6

Oh. Then I'm not sure then.

Sorry :/

hi.

2 hours ago, Mr_Taco said:

No I did not, I kept the router settings the same.

Please list the make and model of router you have, or modem/router potato combo unit your ISP has provided to you. Also note that you should be connecting to the 5G network if you want to see any speeds above 30-70mbps tops, and you'll want to factory reset your router if you haven't already done so.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 hours ago, Mr_Taco said:

Hello, I have a problem with my wifi currently. I recently upgraded to a 100 down 10 up  (charter has horrible up speeds I know) When I watch YouTube my videos buffer a lot, and I ran a speed test for my down and up and I got 1mbps down and up. I know it's on WiFi, but my phone(which is what I took the speed test on) is only about 10-15 feet away from the router, and even then I should still get a good down/up. Do you guys know what could be the cause of this?

Is your router behind a brick wall, or other material that would interfere with the signal?

3 hours ago, spark_ said:

Is your router behind a brick wall, or other material that would interfere with the signal?

It is behind a 55" flat screen.

9 hours ago, kirashi said:

Please list the make and model of router you have, or modem/router potato combo unit your ISP has provided to you. Also note that you should be connecting to the 5G network if you want to see any speeds above 30-70mbps tops, and you'll want to factory reset your router if you haven't already done so.

I have a ac1200+ Linksys router as well as a arris modem

apartment or house? you might have some interference if in an apartment. Also check the max speeds of the arris modem, might be a bottleneck

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

3 hours ago, Mr_Taco said:

It is behind a 55" flat screen.

Move it out from behind the flatscreen please. Wifi is a broadcast technology that works best with line-of-sight to the antenna. ANY object will reduce coverage or even introduce interference that can prevent proper dispersal of the signal, so the ideal place for a wireless AP is on top of a bookcase or stand, outside of any shelving, glass, or metal enclosure, and ideally not right next to a wall, unless it's a professional grade AP from Ubiquiti, for example.

3 hours ago, Mr_Taco said:

I have a ac1200+ Linksys router as well as a arris modem

OK, so you have a dual-band (2.4G + 5G) router, however, if it's the model linked below, don't hope to cover an area larger than around 800sqft such as an apartment with good signal, and don't expect it to handle 100mbit speeds reliably either. These days routers have to handle so much traffic that you really do need to spend around $100-$200 (depending you own individual needs) in order to actually enjoy reliable performance when multiple people are online, and decent range.

Your router? - https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EA6350-Wireless-Dual-Band-Anywhere/dp/B00JZWQW4C

There's nothing wrong with going to a restaurant and ordering sheppard's pie - it's a deliciously tasty meal full of flavor and fills you up, but if you intended to have the steak, you should have ordered the steak. What I mean is your current router might "work" but it's not going to work well for what you want, so I'd definitely recommend something like Netgear's R7000 as a bear minimum for 100mbit speeds, and especially since it can run custom firmware such as Advanced Tomato.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

apartment or house? you might have some interference if in an apartment. Also check the max speeds of the arris modem, might be a bottleneck

It is a house.

33 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Move it out from behind the flatscreen please. Wifi is a broadcast technology that works best with line-of-sight to the antenna. ANY object will reduce coverage or even introduce interference that can prevent proper dispersal of the signal, so the ideal place for a wireless AP is on top of a bookcase or stand, outside of any shelving, glass, or metal enclosure, and ideally not right next to a wall, unless it's a professional grade AP from Ubiquiti, for example.

OK, so you have a dual-band (2.4G + 5G) router, however, if it's the model linked below, don't hope to cover an area larger than around 800sqft such as an apartment with good signal, and don't expect it to handle 100mbit speeds reliably either. These days routers have to handle so much traffic that you really do need to spend around $100-$200 (depending you own individual needs) in order to actually enjoy reliable performance when multiple people are online, and decent range.

Your router? - https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EA6350-Wireless-Dual-Band-Anywhere/dp/B00JZWQW4C

There's nothing wrong with going to a restaurant and ordering sheppard's pie - it's a deliciously tasty meal full of flavor and fills you up, but if you intended to have the steak, you should have ordered the steak. What I mean is your current router might "work" but it's not going to work well for what you want, so I'd definitely recommend something like Netgear's R7000 as a bear minimum for 100mbit speeds, and especially since it can run custom firmware such as Advanced Tomato.

Ok I will do many of those things. Would you recommend 3m tape to put it on the wall?

11 minutes ago, Mr_Taco said:

Ok I will do many of those things. Would you recommend 3m tape to put it on the wall?

Um, I mean, you can use 3M removable tape for that, sure, but before you go about affixing it to things semi-permanently, I'd just recommend moving it around and using the USurvey app to see if it helps improve wireless signal for you overall. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubnt.usurvey&hl=en