Stuck on grub rescue and can’t get out :(

I seem to be stuck as grub is not seeing anything, I’ve used a live lubuntu usb stick to check disk for errors and it came out fine. 

This is all happened after I deleted my lubuntu partition because I’m an idiot and decided that it would be easier that way. I am not Ubuntu savvy so any help is welcome!

80BF8031-BCE0-4CF3-A1FF-7C8D96024A50.jpeg

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

every time my laptop trows dis type of error i reinstall. DO you have a bootable usb ? if i think correctly its a bootloader for multy os like windows + unbuntu on the same HDD/SSD 

cant help you any futer than that :/ 

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

13 hours ago, Swealteek said:

every time my laptop trows dis type of error i reinstall. DO you have a bootable usb ? if i think correctly its a bootloader for multy os like windows + unbuntu on the same HDD/SSD 

cant help you any futer than that :/ 

I can't reinstall windows without losing my personal files, so I'll probably have to rip the drive contents beforehand. I've tried most of what google threw at me so I've turned to this forum haha

I'm surpriset if recent Windowses don't have a method to repair their bootloader (without reistall)? Should really be a basic thing to fix.

Haven't used Windows since XP, but "Windows 10 restore boot sector" or "Windows 10 restore boot EFI" seem to bring up some promising Google search hits.

1 hour ago, Wild Penquin said:

I'm surpriset if recent Windowses don't have a method to repair their bootloader (without reistall)? Should really be a basic thing to fix.

Haven't used Windows since XP, but "Windows 10 restore boot sector" or "Windows 10 restore boot EFI" seem to bring up some promising Google search hits.

I’ve actually already done that, but I’ll try again. Thanks

Yeah you probably damaged or deleted the boot loader by doing that. Have you tried a live boot and simply running "update-grub" and see what it does?

You should be able to access your Windows files from linux no problem (unless it's encrypted), so backing up should be easy.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

If you deleted the partition table your probably hosed. It looks like the EFI partition still exists there, the msdos partitions.. hmm.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

3 hours ago, tikker said:

Yeah you probably damaged or deleted the boot loader by doing that. Have you tried a live boot and simply running "update-grub" and see what it does?

You should be able to access your Windows files from linux no problem (unless it's encrypted), so backing up should be easy.

1 minute ago, jde3 said:

If you deleted the partition table your probably hosed. It looks like the EFI partition still exists there, the msdos partitions.. hmm.

I'm getting a windows error 0x000000f on boot with a windows 10 live usb, but I'm not sure how to get update-grub from lubuntu?

Also, would it be possible to install windows on a separate drive, copy files over from current drive and use backup drive as boot drive?

You'll have to see whats on those MSDos partitions but neither look like a full Linux or Windows install. One way to do that is to just grab an ubuntu live CD and see if you can mount them. You may be SOL here.. time to restore your backup.. you have a backup right?

23 minutes ago, jde3 said:

You'll have to see whats on those MSDos partitions but neither look like a full Linux or Windows install. One way to do that is to just grab an ubuntu live CD and see if you can mount them. You may be SOL here.. time to restore your backup.. you have a backup right?

Nope, new install of windows. So i'm okay with wiping it. the files that I do need I'll just rip off if need be.

3 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Nope, new install of windows. So i'm okay with wiping it. the files that I do need I'll just rip off if need be.

Of course not.. well time to get wise and get a backup solution together.

8 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

I'm getting a windows error 0x000000f on boot with a windows 10 live usb, but I'm not sure how to get update-grub from lubuntu?

Also, would it be possible to install windows on a separate drive, copy files over from current drive and use backup drive as boot drive?

Hmm, my bad, I think you need a linux present at least to do this. Maybe https://superuser.com/questions/949219/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-boot-loader-from-windows has some usable info. I'm not sure what you mean by the latter? Just live boot and copy the files over to a backup drive, depending on which drive you want the OS to be on.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Well, that's the first time I've ever seen such an error.

Many more reasons not to dual boot.

wasab, that's not a reason not to dual boot, it's just a reason to take all possible precautions when doing something like that.

Also, ShadowChaser, three questions. One, why do you have Lubuntu installed instead of Ubuntu or Kubuntu (or any of the many flavors of Ubuntu, Ubuntu-based distributions and other Linux distributions for that matter) if you can run Windows 10 on the same computer (presumably without any issues, if it's just a weak machine, then I get it)? Two, why would anyone ever remove a Unix or Unix-like system from their computer? Three, if you didn't like it enough to keep it, why'd you even install it? Also, I'm new to the forum, so I don't know which computer out of the five listed that one is. Good luck! :) (Secretly hoping he becomes wise and realizes that open-source is better than proprietary, especially Windows and it's current privacy black hole vs Ubuntu transparency.)

Edited by elsandosgrande
Accidentaly typed a word twice (possible).

On 5/9/2018 at 11:48 AM, elsandosgrande said:

Well, that's the first time I've ever seen such an error.

wasab, that's not a reason not to dual boot, it's just a reason to take all possible precautions when doing something like that.

Also, ShadowChaser, three questions. One, why do you have Lubuntu installed instead of Ubuntu or Kubuntu (or any of the many flavors of Ubuntu, Ubuntu-based distributions and other Linux distributions for that matter) if you can run Windows 10 on the same computer (presumably without any issues, if it's just a weak machine, then I get it)? Two, why would anyone ever remove a Unix or Unix-like system from their computer? Three, if you didn't like it enough to keep it, why'd you even install it? Also, I'm new to the forum, so I don't know which computer out of the five listed that one is. Good luck! :) (Secretly hoping he becomes wise and realizes that open-source is better than proprietary, especially Windows and it's current privacy black hole vs Ubuntu transparency.)

I used Lubuntu before I installed windows, and back then it was quite a lowly machine with an Q8300 and 1 gig of RAM. I decided to remove it because it was still proritizing Lubuntu over windows when I tried to do otherwise (I'm not particularly linux savvy, all my experience is from RPi haha). It was a stop gap solution intended to get me by and now I need to fix it.