Sata III VS NVMe

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

For gaming, most daily use, booting and OS use, SATA and NVMe are about the same. For video editing, NVMe will be faster when loading large video files into RAM to work from. 

You don't need NVMe, but it will benefit video editing somewhat. The majority of people don't really get the full benefit on NVMe drives, which is the massive sequential read/write performance, especially when being hit from multiple clients at once. 

I'm coming from a 7200rpm laptop hard drive and I'm already sure that a Sata III ssd will probably blow me away in terms of performance, so my question is do I really need NVMe? I will be doing video/photo editing and slight gaming but I'm not sure I will need an nvme drive or not. Once again, never used an sata III SSD running Win 10 and for general storageso it will be amazingly fast from my point of view. 

Not really no, NVMe is faster but you won't really notice it in day to day usage compared to a good SATA SSD, unless you really hit things hard

For gaming, most daily use, booting and OS use, SATA and NVMe are about the same. For video editing, NVMe will be faster when loading large video files into RAM to work from. 

You don't need NVMe, but it will benefit video editing somewhat. The majority of people don't really get the full benefit on NVMe drives, which is the massive sequential read/write performance, especially when being hit from multiple clients at once. 

1 minute ago, Snipergod87 said:

Not really no, NVMe is faster but you won't really notice it in day to day usage compared to a good SATA SSD, unless you really hit things hard

Any suggestions for once one I should go for? I'm thinking Sandisk Ultra. I know it's not the fastest but I've been using an hdd for so long I'll probably think it's fast xD

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'm trying to make a sort of budget system so I think I'm going Sata ssd. You are quite right when you say that people don't get the full benefit, and I doubt I would either. 

1 minute ago, HayHay said:

Any suggestions for once one I should go for? I'm thinking Sandisk Ultra. I know it's not the fastest but I've been using an hdd for so long I'll probably think it's fast xD

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-500GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0784SLQM6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1525552193&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=mx500&psc=1

An mx500 would be a better choice.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Completely forgot about Crucial! Thanks for the suggestion. The MX500 has the same performance as an 860 evo, right? That's pretty snappy tbh.

1 minute ago, HayHay said:

Completely forgot about Crucial! Thanks for the suggestion. The MX500 has the same performance as an 860 evo, right? That's pretty snappy tbh.

Pretty much the same, yeah. http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-860-Evo-500GB-vs-Crucial-MX500-500GB/m428560vsm418385

And quite a bit better than the sandisk option http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-Ultra-3D-500GB-vs-Crucial-MX500-500GB/m322712vsm418385

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Ahhh, thanks! Also, because I intend to use it for more than a boot drive, won't it hinder performance and/or make the drive last for less time because it's TLC? Especially when doing tasks such as video editing and photo editing which constantly write to the drive. 

13 minutes ago, HayHay said:

Ahhh, thanks! Also, because I intend to use it for more than a boot drive, won't it hinder performance and/or make the drive last for less time because it's TLC? Especially when doing tasks such as video editing and photo editing which constantly write to the drive. 

tlc is fine, there is a slc cache and there more than fast enough here., and endurance is fine on these drives, you won't kill it with writes.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

tlc is fine, there is a slc cache and there more than fast enough here., and endurance is fine on these drives, you won't kill it with writes.

All right, thanks! I guess I'm going with the Crucial MX500 xD

Thanks for all the help :D