Looking for a 4k camera

Hello!  I am looking into buying a 4k camera.  I am not looking for something super cheap, but I'm not looking for something super expensive.  I'm not super knowledgeable of what 4k cameras go for, so just let me know what you would recommend!

Thanks,

FineV 

Would you be interested in a phone camera?

A lot of people will give me hate for this but the iPhone X has a great 4K camera.

It can record 4K at 60FPS which for a smartphone is very impressive. 

Search up 4k 60FPS cameras online and look around.

hi.

22 minutes ago, tj_420 said:

Would you be interested in a phone camera?

A lot of people will give me hate for this but the iPhone X has a great 4K camera.

It can record 4K at 60FPS which for a smartphone is very impressive. 

Search up 4k 60FPS cameras online and look around.

I'm sure it does!  Phone cameras have improved a ton!  I'm just not looking to use my phone as a dedicated camera.  I have a Galaxy S6 that shoots pretty decent 4k video, but it not only does the footage quickly eat away my space on my phone, but it drains my battery.

I don't know how high your budget is or what your exact wishes are, but if you don't mind having to get dedicated lenses you might look into the blackmagic pocket cinema 4k model, which at $1.295 is pretty well priced and it having a micro four thirds sensor opens up a lot of options for lenses both natively and through adapters at reasonable prices.

If you won't mind being stuck to a fixed lens you might look into a sony FDR-AX33 which has the typical camcorder format and roughly half the price.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

4 hours ago, Bsmith said:

I don't know how high your budget is or what your exact wishes are, but if you don't mind having to get dedicated lenses you might look into the blackmagic pocket cinema 4k model, which at $1.295 is pretty well priced and it having a micro four thirds sensor opens up a lot of options for lenses both natively and through adapters at reasonable prices.

If you won't mind being stuck to a fixed lens you might look into a sony FDR-AX33 which has the typical camcorder format and roughly half the price.

Bmpcc4k isnt out until november 4th

That said... it will have-

-12 bit color 

-13 stops of dynamic range

-internal raw recording

And the general cool stuff.

I suggest a Sony A6300 not the A6500

The A6300 shoots 4k 100mbs at 8bit color in sonys compression

It has 12 stops of dynamic range, which is a lot. Youll get a lot of use out of s-log 3 on it. Aps-c sized sensor... and the biggest thing is that it downsamples from 6k video to 4k video.

You get more detail than an A7sii even

Lowlight is pretty awesome and better than the 5D mark iii, nowhere near the A7sii though. Small and compact, cheap batteries, no overheating issues like people say. 

9 picture profiles with very indepth settings

It is the absolute best 4k camera for the price range. It does have a lot of rolling shutter, however you can solve this by easily jumping to 1/4000 even with f6.0 or something if you dont need the cinema look of 1/30-1/80ish on a fast moving shot. 

31 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

Bmpcc4k isnt out until november 4th

That said... it will have-

-12 bit color 

-13 stops of dynamic range

-internal raw recording

And the general cool stuff.

ahh danig, that's true, I forgot about the release still having to come around.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 hour ago, Bsmith said:

ahh danig, that's true, I forgot about the release still having to come around.

You best believe im ready and waiting.

My next camera will be between the bmpcc4k

Sony a7siii

Sony a7sii

Panasonic gh5

Or maybe.... something else.

I think its funny how all the old cannon cameras became obsolete so fast once sony started pushing the market.

What are the differences between a DSLR style V.S. AX33 4K Handycam style?

In my experience camcorders are a good first camera or stepping stone.

However..

They usually have internal storage, extremely minimal lenses and attachements, few professional menu options, little control over the image, and just really nowhere to go but am entirely new camera when you want to move up.

@FineVisionz

My budget is looking to be around $800 (Higher than I expected), anything decent for that price?

12 minutes ago, FineVisionz said:

My budget is looking to be around $800 (Higher than I expected), anything decent for that price?

Then your ideal 4k $799.99 camera is..... probably a Panasonic G7

On 5/5/2018 at 11:26 PM, Kamjam21xx said:

Then your ideal 4k $799.99 camera is..... probably a Panasonic G7

The Panasonic Lumix G7  for ~$500 USD seems like a hell of a deal, is it too good to be true?  Any major flaws or nice features is it missing or anything?

Thanks,

FineV

14 minutes ago, FineVisionz said:

The Panasonic Lumix G7  for ~$500 USD seems like a hell of a deal, is it too good to be true?  Any major flaws or nice features is it missing or anything?

Thanks,

FineV

No thats probably fine and gmfor 500 its hard to go wrong with a 4k interchangeable lense camera.

Is it 500 for the BODY ONLY?

1 minute ago, Kamjam21xx said:

No thats probably fine and gmfor 500 its hard to go wrong with a 4k interchangeable lense camera.

Is it 500 for the BODY ONLY?

$500 for the camera and 14-42mm MEGA O.I.S. Lens.

39 minutes ago, FineVisionz said:

$500 for the camera and 14-42mm MEGA O.I.S. Lens.

As long as its actually a G7 then yeah, look up some videos on it though.

Dont just take my word for it. 

The price probably just dro pped without my knowledge. Im sure yoll be happy with it, its a freakin 4k camera!

35 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

As long as its actually a G7 then yeah, look up some videos on it though.

Dont just take my word for it. 

The price probably just dro pped without my knowledge. Im sure yoll be happy with it, its a freakin 4k camera!

Shipped and sold by Amazon! :D https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-Mirrorless-14-42mm-Megapixels-DMC-G7KS/dp/B00X409PQS?th=1&tag=linus21-20

1 hour ago, FineVisionz said:

New camera? Get pumped? (:

Panasonic Lumix G7?

Panasonic makes great cameras

Their hvx and its SD predecessor were HUGE prosumer cameras. I got to shoot with those. So i can confidently recommend panasonic as an awesome camera brand (:

@FineVisionz also if you were alright spending more...

There it goes a little like this

G7 cheapest

G85 mid

Gh4 more expensive

Panasonic AF isn't the best at all, so if you want good AF Panasonic is not for you.

But I'f you are ok with AF that is just meh(okish) then fine.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Panasonic AF isn't the best at all, so if you want good AF Panasonic is not for you.

But I'f you are ok with AF that is just meh(okish) then fine.

Dvx and hvx autofocus was spot on, but ya i think hes got a budget.

On 5/5/2018 at 5:15 AM, FineVisionz said:

Hello!  I am looking into buying a 4k camera.  I am not looking for something super cheap, but I'm not looking for something super expensive.  I'm not super knowledgeable of what 4k cameras go for, so just let me know what you would recommend!

Thanks,

FineV 

what plan do you have for the camera use?

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

I would suggest buying a second hand Sony a6300. It is a great camera, but you’ll need to be able to bargain a little to meet your budget. In Norway, it goes for $750 to $1000, body only, used. Of course, optics are expensive too, but I have had great experiences when making deals second hand.

1 hour ago, Hauklien said:

I would suggest buying a second hand Sony a6300. It is a great camera, but you’ll need to be able to bargain a little to meet your budget. In Norway, it goes for $750 to $1000, body only, used. Of course, optics are expensive too, but I have had great experiences when making deals second hand.

Thats what i did to get my a6300, but i think it might barely be over the budget.