Monitor refresh rate troubles

Cookie_inthehood

I just purchased a new monitor and intend to EVENTUALLY hook it up to a new PC. I currently have it connected to a laptop to ensure everything is in order. It is spec'd at 144Hz but is currently only allowing me to operate at 60Hz. Is this a bottleneck from the laptop, or a problem with my monitor??? Any help is appreciated! 

You have to set the monitor for 144hz in windows. 

hzzzzzz.png

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

You have to set the monitor for 144hz in windows. 

hzzzzzz.png

This is where I'm having trouble, that option is not available. 

You'll see your laptops screen, and the monitor. To run at 144hz you'll need to change the setting for the montior, might have to set the monitor as your primary. 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

You'll see your laptops screen, and the monitor. To run at 144hz you'll need to change the setting for the montior, might have to set the monitor as your primary. 

How do I set it as a primary? 

What model is the monitor? Is the monitor set to 144hz? what are you using to connect the monitor to the laptop?

Just now, Cookie_inthehood said:

How do I set it as a primary? 

In the multiple displays section, should be an option to display numbers on the screen. Make sure the monitor displays the number associated with the main screen. 

Just now, App4that said:

What model is the monitor? Is the monitor set to 144hz? what are you using to connect the monitor to the laptop?

It's an Omen 25", 1080p. I'm using HDMI to connect. Where would I find the 144Hz setting? 

Just now, Cookie_inthehood said:

It's an Omen 25", 1080p. I'm using HDMI to connect. Where would I find the 144Hz setting? 

Every monitor is different, but you should have an option button on the montior, follow the UI to where the refreshrate setting is. 

Make sure you have your graphics drivers up to date.

Moved to Displays.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Update: I think I found the problem. The graphics card in the laptop I'm using is terrible, and can only run at a maximum 60Hz. Hopefully this will work better once the rest of my final system is together!