Need some help with an idea

Neutrideo

Hey folks, I need some help. So, in my area, People are not very smart, People are always messaging each other for help with their computer and or help buying a new computer. I want to break into this area, I am not sure how I would start, I have a domain, webhosting, graphic design skills, an ABN etc. I just need some tips from yall who have done it and havent don it. Thanks, Have a nice day!

Why is there a link to flight sim pedals in your post? :D

Set up a facebook page for your business. Put up some posts saying you do computer repairs and virus removal and stuff like that. Advertise on local facebook buy/swap/sell pages as well as your local community pages on facebook.
Get on gumtree and put an ad listing there for computer repair services.

Wait for someone to see your post and give you a call or send you a message asking to fix their computer.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Why is there a link to flight sim pedals in your post? :D

Set up a facebook page for your business. Put up some posts saying you do computer repairs and virus removal and stuff like that. Advertise on local facebook buy/swap/sell pages as well as your local community pages on facebook.
Get on gumtree and put an ad listing there for computer repair services.

Wait for someone to see your post and give you a call or send you a message asking to fix their computer.

There isn't.

The problem with facebook, is that my Parents, dont like the social media thing. I have had to push them hard to let me use snapchat and instagram. But gumtree sounds good. Might talk to my folks about the facebook thing. 

If you're too young to use social media then I would suggest that you would be too young to visit strangers houses to fix their computers. It would also generally be a huge disadvantage if you don't have your own vehicle. You'll likely also face a lot of customers who aren't interested in handing over their $1000+ computer to a teenager to fix.

You'll also face a lot of issues if you don't have a paypal account or credit card when it comes to purchasing parts online that are needed to repair the computers.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

If you're too young to use social media then I would suggest that you would be too young to visit strangers houses to fix their computers. It would also generally be a huge disadvantage if you don't have your own vehicle. You'll likely also face a lot of customers who aren't interested in handing over their $1000+ computer to a teenager to fix.

You'll also face a lot of issues if you don't have a paypal account or credit card when it comes to purchasing parts online that are needed to repair the computers.

Oh, Im not too young, I am sixteen, but my folks dont like social media, I do have a credit card and paypal etc. Vehicle is easy, I am on my P plates. It all revolves around my parents, They dont mind me going to people they dont know, but they just dont like social media.

1 minute ago, Neutrideo said:

Oh, Im not too young, I am sixteen, but my folks dont like social media, I do have a credit card and paypal etc. Vehicle is easy, I am on my P plates. It all revolves around my parents, They dont mind me going to people they dont know, but they just dont like social media.

You need to be at least 17 to be on your Provisional Licence in NSW?

Typically the customer will expect you to go to their place and either work on the computer their or pick it up and take it away to be fixed. Sometimes it might be as simple as someone needing help setting up their wireless printer to work with their computer and stuff like that. So expect that you will be visiting their homes to perform the jobs rather than them dropping it off to you.

You could probably find some work on gumtree alone, but the more exposure you have the better. Facebook is also good as customers can rate your services and if you're doing a good job they'll typically like the page and give it a good rating.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Typically the customer will expect you to go to their place and either work on the computer their or pick it up and take it away to be fixed. Sometimes it might be as simple as someone needing help setting up their wireless printer to work with their computer and stuff like that. So expect that you will be visiting their homes to perform the jobs rather than them dropping it off to you.

You could probably find some work on gumtree alone, but the more exposure you have the better. Facebook is also good as customers can rate your services and if you're doing a good job they'll typically like the page and give it a good rating.

No, 16 is the right age. 

Yeah, that makes sense.

How about a website, and advertise by mouth and poster etc. If I where to make a website, What would I do, What would I put on it etc.

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

How would I manage customers online, manage payments etc.?

15 minutes ago, Neutrideo said:

How would I manage customers online, manage payments etc.?

Freshbooks? https://www.freshbooks.com/pages/linus

Otherwise just take cash in hand which is how most customers will pay.

26 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Freshbooks? https://www.freshbooks.com/pages/linus

Otherwise just take cash in hand which is how most customers will pay.

True, But also I would need a way to show my services, How would I use a website for that. Would wordpress work?

Just now, Neutrideo said:

True, But also I would need a way to show my services, How would I use a website for that. Would wordpress work?

For a business on the scale we're talking, I think just a facebook page for the business would be sufficient until things become more serious. When you're starting out it will be more about doing the actual jobs and building up a reputation rather than website design. Making and hosting a website will add additional start up cost, which when you're starting out you may not be able to justify. Until building up a reputation and getting some repeat customers you may find you're lucky to do 1 repair a month, especially since you're still in school.

If you do create a website you would list things like the services you perform, perhaps quotes on prices if you have flat rates for certain services, costs of call outs or whatever else. You'll list your contact information and maybe a web form to book your services.

Just now, Spotty said:

For a business on the scale we're talking, I think just a facebook page for the business would be sufficient until things become more serious. When you're starting out it will be more about doing the actual jobs and building up a reputation rather than website design. Making and hosting a website will add additional start up cost, which when you're starting out you may not be able to justify. Until building up a reputation and getting some repeat customers you may find you're lucky to do 1 repair a month, especially since you're still in school.

If you do create a website you would list things like the services you perform, perhaps quotes on prices if you have flat rates for certain services, costs of call outs or whatever else. You'll list your contact information and maybe a web form to book your services.

Yeah, and then potentially flyers or something, or mouth to mouth advertising

18 minutes ago, Neutrideo said:

mouth to mouth advertising

word of mouth advertising works great

36 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

word of mouth advertising works great

Especially in this type of thing? I would contemplate creating flyers and posting in gloria jeans etc. or talking to my folks friends who arent that good.

15 hours ago, Neutrideo said:

Especially in this type of thing? I would contemplate creating flyers and posting in gloria jeans etc. or talking to my folks friends who arent that good.

yeah it was the phrasing really

mouth to mouth was like first aid or something.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

yeah it was the phrasing really

mouth to mouth was like first aid or something.

Oh no, I knew what you meant

2 minutes ago, Neutrideo said:

Oh no, I knew what you meant

I need to come up with a name. Maybe just "Tristans' computers". That is my name and what I do. Nice and simple

8 hours ago, Neutrideo said:

I need to come up with a name. Maybe just "Tristans' computers". That is my name and what I do. Nice and simple

If you're going to run a PC repair, don't you need to register as a business? I had to register my business here in the UK. Also, if you need help setting it up PM me. I can help you. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Nonsense. I remember my 14 year old high school freshman classmates had jailbreak people’s iOS and fix iPhone screen for handsome fees.

today the regulations is getting ridiculous, what happens to the good old days when enterprising kids can shove snow in return for some quick cash?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/snow-job-cops-tell-nj-teens-to-stop-door-to-door-shoveling-offer/

so so many stupid red taps nowadays.

Edit: quotes the wrong post 

Edited by wasab
See above

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

If you're going to run a PC repair, don't you need to register as a business? I had to register my business here in the UK. Also, if you need help setting it up PM me. I can help you. :) 

I have it registered under an ABN

9 hours ago, wasab said:

Nonsense. I remember my 14 year old high school freshman classmates had jailbreak people’s iOS and fix iPhone screen for handsome fees.

today the regulations is getting ridiculous, what happens to the good old days when enterprising kids can shove snow in return for some quick cash?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/snow-job-cops-tell-nj-teens-to-stop-door-to-door-shoveling-offer/

so so many stupid red taps nowadays.

Edit: quotes the wrong post 

I know, No one will let me do that stuff. Plus jailbreak doesent work on the latest iphone, should do some iphone repairs :wink:

8 minutes ago, Neutrideo said:

I know, No one will let me do that stuff. Plus jailbreak doesent work on the latest iphone, should do some iphone repairs :wink:

So in the UK you need a permit to do any work? Argh that's annoying... Was considering starting something like what you are suggesting myself.

59 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

So in the UK you need a permit to do any work? Argh that's annoying... Was considering starting something like what you are suggesting myself.

I believe so in the UK, I am Australian. You technically need an abn which is free to earn money

On 5/1/2018 at 12:17 AM, Neutrideo said:

There isn't.

The problem with facebook, is that my Parents, dont like the social media thing. I have had to push them hard to let me use snapchat and instagram. But gumtree sounds good. Might talk to my folks about the facebook thing. 

It's the H at the beginning. It goes to the amazon page for some pedals.

"Shashabooey" - Po