First post, first rig, first issue

Ogmoden

Hello all and thanks for the great tech tip videos, we will see how I did...

Purchased the following today and it seems to be running hot. Unable to overclock (blue screened on 4.6 down to 4.3). I then gave the Asus 4-way optimization a try and it kept everything as it was. 

·        Asus Maximus Z87 Hero

·        i7 4770K

·        Zalman CNPS11X Extreme CPU cooler

·        EVGA GTX780 FTW

·        Vengeance pro series 16gb (2X8) 2133MHz (good price)

·        Corsair RM750W power supply

·        Cooler Master Cosmos SE tower

Followed Linus's build instructions as well as the manuals. Went pretty smooth. Followed the OC video Linus put out as well and blue screened as stated above. With Windows 7 64 bit only and optimal default BIOS settings, I am running in the 80 degree range. I read that the fan on the CPU cooler should be facing the back for hot exhaust but saw a video with it facing the front. Will that make a difference? Would you expect this build to run in the 85 degree range?

Thanks for your help.

post-51593-0-73302000-1387791032.jpg

post-51593-0-34614600-1387791033.jpg

pulling it towards the back of the box, at least it feels that way. Very slight breeze. It hit 90 and 100 a few minutes ago.

Have you set your voltage manually?

Remember Haswell does seem to have this thermal limit where temp rises exponentially past a certain point so try 4.4 and then 4.5 work your way up slowly trying to find the least amount of volts you can put through the cpu each time with it still stable

are you using thermal paste? 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

post-51593-0-04098400-1387794321_thumb.pI tried 1.2 at 4.6, 4.5, 4.4. I did not change the voltage during those attempts. All three time I blue screened at the Win 7 splash screen. Set it to default in the bios and noticed it was running hot.

I used the paste that came with the cooler.

Something is really wrong, during a very short stress test it hit 161 degrees F

post-51593-0-28926400-1387795267.png

Gonna shut down for the night. May try and re-install the heat sink. 

attachicon.gif12-24-2013 3-18-51 AM.pngI tried 1.2 at 4.6, 4.5, 4.4. I did not change the voltage during those attempts. All three time I blue screened at the Win 7 splash screen. Set it to default in the bios and noticed it was running hot.

This image is showing us your CPU on completel idle, hence the low clock and low voltage

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

attachicon.gif12-24-2013 3-18-51 AM.pngI tried 1.2 at 4.6, 4.5, 4.4. I did not change the voltage during those attempts. All three time I blue screened at the Win 7 splash screen. Set it to default in the bios and noticed it was running hot.

You CPU is idle at 30C, that seems fine to me ._.

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

Have you properly mounted the heatsink? I noticed it also comes with a tube of thermal paste, did you put enough of the cpu so that it coves the surface as it should?

I did not. I only used a small amount (length of a cooked.rice down the middle)

Removed the heat sink, picture below on what it looked like. Cleaned it with 99% isopropyl, reviewed a few video's on proper application of thermal paste and re-installed. running HOT in my opinion, especially if  stress test it which I am no longer comfortable doing.

What am I doing wrong here?

post-51593-0-07932000-1387813562.png

post-51593-0-07932000-1387813562.png

post-51593-0-70960200-1387813654_thumb.p

Your temps are fine we use C or Celsius, you were reading Fahrenheit. When looking at temps for PC parts the standard is Celsius. The reason your temps look really high is because Fahrenheit shows much higher numbers.

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Hey Ogmoden. It looks pretty clear to me like you are experiencing a bad seating of your heatsink. I would suggest cleaning off the CPU and reseat the heatsink. Make sure you put a pea sized "drop" of thermal interface material in the center of the CPU heat spreader / lid. When you place the heatsink ontop of the CPU make sure to tighten down in a "star" pattern a little at a time to hand tight.

Keep us up to date and best of luck.

post-51593-0-78568400-1387816323_thumb.pThank you all for helping me out.  I have already re-installed the heat sink with a pea size portion of thermal paste. I started a stress test to see if you guys think this is normal.. A few seconds into the test, the CPU temp went from its 80 to 90 degree idle temp up to 127.4 F. I am now contemplating taking the heat sink back and going with a H110 of a different model air flow.

Your thoughts?

I am now reading that 100's are not uncommon and the scary mark is 75c or 160F. I have reached that once, so still not sure if this heat sink is the best solution for my setup.

Here's the normal temp for the 4770k

Idle Temperature34 to 39°CNormal Temperature55 to 65°CMax Temperature67°C

So at 52°C you seems to be fine. 

You may have too little thermal paste. When you remove cooler it should cover whole top of cpu. Tighten screws in cross format, maybe givce little wiggle to heatsink before. And check from manual how cooler is placed. It should move air either from front to back or from bottom to top to be most effective. Having fan on push or pull doesn't have that much effect. If you haven't overclocked never before, run first some stress test with stock clock to see how your cooler is handling temp rising. Check from mobo that you have set vDroop setting to as high as possible.

We use here mostly Celsius for temp grading and since you are set for Farenheit it gives bit frightening readings. Bit high idle temp is at 40C/104F and good load temp is at 65C/149F. These from my experience but generally temps hower around those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

attachicon.gifStress test.pngThank you all for helping me out.  I have already re-installed the heat sink with a pea size portion of thermal paste. I started a stress test to see if you guys think this is normal.. A few seconds into the test, the CPU temp went from its 80 to 90 degree idle temp up to 127.4 F. I am now contemplating taking the heat sink back and going with a H110 of a different model air flow.

Your thoughts?

65C under stress is ok temp. and idle temps are fine too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I suggest you give back your heat sink and get a Corsair H 100i, Noctua dh 14 or a be quiet dark rock 2.

Last post... thank you all for your input. Did some more research on the Zalman CNPS11X extreme CPU cooler. While there are a lot of articles that state you should pull from your sink, you can only push through your sink with this CPU cooler (unless you rig it with non provided hardware). So, i once again, pulled the sink, cleaned everything, and replaced it pushing air through the heat sink and into the back of the case (fan>Coils>rear fan exhaust).

Did another stress test and it hovered between 100.4 and 102 (38 Celsius)   :D

post-51593-0-81942600-1387826579_thumb.p

Well for one, you should use and get used to reading the temps in Celsius since that's what everyone uses :P And load temps are fine up to 70C, after that it's a little toasty.

The CPU heat sink was pushing towards the front of the case. You cant spin the fan on the Zalman CNPS11X, so I removed the heat sink, cleaned the thermal (third time today), spun the entire heat sink so the fan pushes air through the sink and into the exhaust fan on the back of the case. 

• Old install (pushing to the front) reported high 80's and 90's F (32 Celsius) at idle and up to 164 F (73 Celsius) 
  • Pushing through the sink to the rear exhaust reports low 80's idle (around 22 Celsius) and during a stress test, 100.4 - 102 F (38 Celsius)

Big difference. Going to try and overclock now   :D

post-51593-0-34702400-1387829163_thumb.p