Put cooler on the wrong way

Orsan
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
On 4/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, Orsan said:

My bad it's the EKL Alpenföhn Groß Clock´ner. The Brocken was for a friend's build.

It uses clips just like the Brocken. You can remove the fan and clips without removing the cooler off the cpu. 

There's no need to mount the fan to the other side of the heatsink. Just flip the fan around.

Running a fan in pull usually performs a bit worse than push but it's not a huge difference and it'll still be better than having it fight the fans in your case.

You can alternatively flip the cooler around. There's no need to replace the thermal paste if you don't touch it. 

Moved to Air Cooling. 

I have already posted this under air cooling but got no response, so I decided to try my luck here,.
I have had this computer for 2-3 years now and just noticed that my cpu cooler is blowing air into the case. Can I just take out the mobo and turn the fan around so it pulls air from the heatsink instead of pushing it or do I have to turn the entire heatsink around and if so, do I need a new application of thermal paste?

It depends on your setup, but many air coolers allow you to relocate the fans quite easily. What model? Air or watercooled? Pictures please.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

Depending on the sink, you should be able to just turn the fan around.

7 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

It depends on your setup, but many air coolers allow you to relocate the fans quite easily. What model? Air or watercooled? Pictures please.

Alpenfoehn Brocken, Air

EDIT: There is no way to mount the fan on the other side without rotating the heatsink.

4 minutes ago, Orsan said:

Alpenfoehn Brocken, Air

EDIT: There is no way to mount the fan on the other side without rotating the heatsink.

Are we looking at the same product?

https://www.alpenfoehn.de/produkte/auslaufmodelle/cpu-kuehler/brocken

Can't you take the clips off and put the fan back on on the other side?

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

I'm not sure how effective it will be, but you could try removing the fan, mounting the clips bacwards, so instead of blowing into the heat sink, you're pulling air out of it. I suspect it won't be optimal, but it might be better than what you have now.

You can also reverse the airflow of your case by flipping all other fans.

But if you absolutely want best thermals, remove the heatsink, wipe off old and apply new paste, put back on.

How are your thermals with the current setup?

My bad it's the EKL Alpenföhn Groß Clock´ner. The Brocken was for a friend's build.

30C in BIOS, 50C at idle CPU. I haven't benchmarked it.

Can i just try inverting the fan or is there a risk of frying my cpu?

On 4/26/2018 at 12:20 PM, Orsan said:

It uses clips just like the Brocken. You can remove the fan and clips without removing the cooler off the cpu. 

There's no need to mount the fan to the other side of the heatsink. Just flip the fan around.

Running a fan in pull usually performs a bit worse than push but it's not a huge difference and it'll still be better than having it fight the fans in your case.

You can alternatively flip the cooler around. There's no need to replace the thermal paste if you don't touch it. 

Moved to Air Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Moved to Air Cooling. 

Thanks alot. Just what I wanted to know. Now running around 33C at idle and 60C in CPU-Z Stresstest on my i5-4590.