Gtx 1050 ti in underpowered system

SteamedLawnChair

So I was thinking about upgrading my current gt 1030 with a low profile gtx 1050 ti (mainly for shadowplay) but my system has an irreplaceable 240w psu (because it's a sff business pc with a wierd curve for the hard drive). Would I be fine running it on that psu or will I need to buy a completely new rig.

Well, that's pretty much your best bet. However, the performance benefit won't exactly be night and day, so if you can, try and flip the 1030

can you just buy a new case?

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

If you're going 2 tiers up, you might as well upgrade the whole thing.  especially if it's from a 1030, which is usually paired with some of the weakest systems.

12 minutes ago, YaqinHasan said:

Well, that's pretty much your best bet. However, the performance benefit won't exactly be night and day, so if you can, try and flip the 1030

What do you mean by 'flip'

3 minutes ago, frozenboi810 said:

What do you mean by 'flip'

sell it.

10 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

If you're going 2 tiers up, you might as well upgrade the whole thing.  especially if it's from a 1030, which is usually paired with some of the weakest systems.

When I bought my 1030 I was trying to enter myself into the pc gaming experience and not waste my money away on buying new consoles everytime a new game came out, at the time of buying the 1030 I Couldn't even run half life 2 stably and now I can run fortnite at high settings 30fps. The main reason I want to get a 1050 ti is so that I can use shadowplay (and not shitty ass obs) and run games like just cause 3 at more than 30fps low. Im on a very tight budget as I'am a high-school student living with my parents so I can't really upgrade my rig until a few years from now and by then fortnite streaming would be irrelevant.

21 minutes ago, Railgun said:

can you just buy a new case?

If I buy a new case would a new psu work with my motherboard as it is an hp sff prebuild 

1 minute ago, frozenboi810 said:

When I bought my 1030 I was trying to enter myself into the pc gaming experience and not waste my money away on buying new consoles everytime a new game came out, at the time of buying the 1030 I Couldn't even run half life 2 stably and now I can run fortnite at high settings 30fps. The main reason I want to get a 1050 ti is so that I can use shadowplay (and not shitty ass obs) and run games like just cause 3 at more than 30fps low. Im on a very tight budget as I'am a high-school student living with my parents so I can't really upgrade my rig until a few years from now and by then fortnite streaming would be irrelevant.

Trust me, it will be worth it to just stick to your current stuff and just wait until you have enough money, depending on how old you are, you could either have enough money by the middle of Zen+'s reign, or the end of Zen 3.

Just now, frozenboi810 said:

If I buy a new case would a new psu work with my motherboard as it is an hp sff prebuild 

What's the model?  Usually they have the model like "Dell Optiplex 760" displayed on the front, or at least somewhere.

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

Trust me, it will be worth it to just stick to your current stuff and just wait until you have enough money, depending on how old you are, you could either have enough money by the middle of Zen+'s reign, or the end of Zen 3.

Zen?

1 minute ago, ZcanKal said:

What's the model?  Usually they have the model like "Dell Optiplex 760" displayed on the front, or at least somewhere.

Idk what the model of the motherboard is but the name of the pc is hp compaq 8100 elite sff

Zen?

AMD's current CPU line, I'm just using that as a timeline.

2 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

AMD's current CPU line, I'm just using that as a timeline.

Ok, I'm more of an Intel/nvidea dude I don't really know that much about amd, after all I'm only 13, I started doing this stuff at the age of 9.

Ok, I'm more of an Intel/nvidea dude I don't really know that much about amd, after all I'm only 13, I started doing this stuff at the age of 9.

Ok, so that motherboard is unfortunately not ATX compliant, but if you want to reuse the CPU, the socket is LGA 1156.

6 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

Ok, so that motherboard is unfortunately not ATX compliant, but if you want to reuse the CPU, the socket is LGA 1156.

I've tried searching on ebay for some and yes I did find some it's just when the bids ended they were at crazy high prices and only had 2 ram slots (my 12gb uses up all 4 on my current one). Do you recommend any other sites for some?

1 minute ago, frozenboi810 said:

I've tried searching on ebay for some and yes I did find some it's just when the bids ended they were at crazy high prices and only had 2 ram slots (my 12gb uses up all 4 on my current one). Do you recommend any other sites for some?

If you weren't so young, I'd probably recommend Craigslist.

If the cheapest board wasn't $80, I'd recommend Amazon.

6 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

If you weren't so young, I'd probably recommend Craigslist.

If the cheapest board wasn't $80, I'd recommend Amazon.

Are they new or second hand on amazon 

Are they new or second hand on amazon 

They're all new, though that makes some sense, first generation Core chips aren't nearly as easy to find as second and third generation.

4 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

They're all new, though that makes some sense, first generation Core chips aren't nearly as easy to find as second and third generation.

So from there onwards is it just new case new psu then I can get my gtx 1050 ti

So from there onwards is it just new case new psu then I can get my gtx 1050 ti

And new motherboard if you don't want to heavily modify the case.

4 minutes ago, ZcanKal said:

And new motherboard if you don't want to heavily modify the case.

So I could just pop the guts from my current pc into a new case and replace some things

So I could just pop the guts from my current pc into a new case and replace some things

pretty much, thought technically the case is an optional piece, unless you know wood working, metal working, or have a 3D printer, you can't make your own testbench.

On 25/04/2018 at 11:40 PM, ZcanKal said:

pretty much, thought technically the case is an optional piece, unless you know wood working, metal working, or have a 3D printer, you can't make your own testbench.

Ok cool