stressed out over boss' mail contacts

Bazzz
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
12 minutes ago, Bazzz said:

I can access (as far as I know) all files on the old HDD, but I cannot find the contacts in the given folder.

The link you sent says that I should boot to the old HDD, open windows loive mail, export contacts from there to a usb, and then import them in the new windows install on the SSD. Wouldn't booting to the old HDD be necessary?

So what happens when you disconnect the SSD? Can you boot from the HDD then?

Hey guys,

I thought someone would actually see my post here. 

I am begging for help, I'm really getting stressed out here.

I built a pc for my boss, installed windows and all software on a ssd. Everything seemed to be fine (aside from server settings in windows live mail).

I was checking everything for the last time and found out none of the mail contacts were ported over. None.

He runs two businesses on that email account, so I/he really, really need(s) those. It's the core of a company.

The   F:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts   folder only has three subfolders which are both empty.

Could they be stored somewhere else? I'm 100% sure I didn't delete anything. 

In the   F:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live   folder are two flders called "bici" and "sqmapi" which do contain quite some .swm files. Not sure what those are.

I figured that if I could boot from the old hdd where the old windows install is, I may be able to export the contacts (if they are still present).

I couldn't see a hdd in the bios, but I do see it in file manager in windows.

My job is at risk here :(, does anyone have any idea what could be the case here? 

You'd be a life saver, literally.

Sorry if I post this in the wrong place, I'm just going crazy here.

Cheers, 

Bas

Are you guys using Exchange or Office 365? Usually everything is kept on the server. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Are you guys using Exchange or Office 365? Usually everything is kept on the server. 

He uses windows live mail, I believe it's a pop3 account. Everything is stored on the pc :/

1 minute ago, Bazzz said:

He uses windows live mail, I believe it's a pop3 account. Everything is stored on the pc :/

Take a look at this: https://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/89411-where-windows-live-mail-address-book-contacts-folder-located.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I guess that would work, but I cannot boot from the old hdd.

There is nothing wrong with it, and I can use it in windows via windows on the ssd just fine, but when I want to change boot settings it doesn't seem to show up.

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong place though, what should it be called in the bios?

1 minute ago, Bazzz said:

I guess that would work, but I cannot boot from the old hdd.

There is nothing wrong with it, and I can use it in windows via windows on the ssd just fine, but when I want to change boot settings it doesn't seem to show up.

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong place though, what should it be called in the bios?

No need to boot on to the drive. Can you access the drive from your PC? If so try to access and find the files. :) 

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

No need to boot on to the drive. Can you access the drive from your PC? If so try to access and find the files. :)

I cannot start windows live mail installed on the old drive. Nothing happens.

maybe it's not clear enough. Let me explain it once again:

There's two drives (SSD, HDD).

He first used the HDD on his old pc. 

I installed all software again on the SSD without deleting anything from the old HDD.

I copied all windows live mail data from the old hdd and put in in the windows live mail folder on the SSD.

I can access (as far as I know) all files on the old HDD, but I cannot find the contacts in the given folder.

The link you sent says that I should boot to the old HDD, open windows loive mail, export contacts from there to a usb, and then import them in the new windows install on the SSD. Wouldn't booting to the old HDD be necessary?

12 minutes ago, Bazzz said:

So what happens when you disconnect the SSD? Can you boot from the HDD then?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

53 minutes ago, Bazzz said:

I cannot start windows live mail installed on the old drive. Nothing happens.

maybe it's not clear enough. Let me explain it once again:

There's two drives (SSD, HDD).

He first used the HDD on his old pc. 

I installed all software again on the SSD without deleting anything from the old HDD.

I copied all windows live mail data from the old hdd and put in in the windows live mail folder on the SSD.

What they're saying is that if you can access the HDD from the new PC (from a caddy, directly connected, etc.), you should be able to go in and retrieve the contacts file. No need to open any programs other than Windows Explorer for this (and perhaps Disk Management to assign a drive letter if Windows doesn't do that automatically).