USB Issues

Shot in the Dark Here.

First a disclosure: I'm a 50 year old Realtor, not a Tech.

So back in 2012 I built a machine around:

ASRocks X79 Extreme 4 & i7-3820

It has lasted this long but it is starting to show fatigue. First it started to post bios error code 04 on the motherboard LED (and it still does); I looked it up and common reasons for this code are:

Southbridge Issues and Peripheral Issues (USB). Since the machine seemingly was running normally I didn't worry too much about it.

Yesterday afternoon however I started up and I heard very loud popping noises coming from my Corsair RGB (usb wired) headset while the machine was booting. I unplugged the headset from the front USB port and plugged it into my Corsair K70's USB port. All was working and I was in a World of Tanks battle when the sound completely cut out during a match. I quickly unplugged and reinserted the headset usb and the sound returned. Minutes later it failed again and I could not get the headset to work in that port again. I then plugged in the headset to one of the rear open usb slots and the headset worked normally during some testing. However logistics of my setup prevents me from being able to use a rear usb slot of the headset.

I checked Windows for problems, I checked the ASRocks Voltage Software for irregularities incase my 750w Corsair PSU was sending too much juice and saw nothing amiss. I do not have screen shots of anything seeing as I am now posting on my HP 2 in 1.

To test the headset, I played for hours on my Gigabyte P55Wv6-PC3D without any issues with the headset.

So at the risk of being roasted on this forum I am curious if anyone has experienced similar issues, an explanation and preferably a solution.

Thank you Linus Tech Tips Forum Members,

Mark

I'd try either reinstalling your USB drivers, or any motherboard specific drivers. If that doesn't solve your issue I'd guess that there really is something wrong with your Southbridge / IO controller and it might be time to upgrade.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

I think those ports are toast, or at least getting there.

Get a USB drive that you know works and test all the ports to see if some of them are actually dead or not.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

5 minutes ago, 30A Gulf Coast Realtor said:

Shot in the Dark Here.

It has lasted this long but it is starting to show fatigue. First it started to post bios error code 04 on the motherboard LED (and it still does); I looked it up and common reasons for this code are:

Southbridge Issues and Peripheral Issues (USB). Since the machine seemingly was running normally I didn't worry too much about it.

Yesterday afternoon however I started up and I heard very loud popping noises coming from my Corsair RGB (usb wired) headset while the machine was booting. I unplugged the headset from the front USB port and plugged it into my Corsair K70's USB port. All was working and I was in a World of Tanks battle when the sound completely cut out during a match. I quickly unplugged and reinserted the headset usb and the sound returned. Minutes later it failed again and I could not get the headset to work in that port again. I then plugged in the headset to one of the rear open usb slots and the headset worked normally during some testing. However logistics of my setup prevents me from being able to use a rear usb slot of the headset.

I checked Windows for problems, I checked the ASRocks Voltage Software for irregularities incase my 750w Corsair PSU was sending too much juice and saw nothing amiss. I do not have screen shots of anything seeing as I am now posting on my HP 2 in 1.

To test the headset, I played for hours on my Gigabyte P55Wv6-PC3D without any issues with the headset.

So at the risk of being roasted on this forum I am curious if anyone has experienced similar issues, an explanation and preferably a solution.

Mark

First, welcome to the forums! :) 

Have you considered the possibility that the USB hub has gone bad? The popping suggests the possibility that a short is affecting the power delivery of your headset, or simply put that port could be dangerous to use. It could also be that some wires have gone bad, or the connection to the MOBO has come loose. The header could also be on it's way out. Possible causes include, wear and tear, strained cables, and the unlikely possibility of EM damage from a power outage.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

17 hours ago, 30A Gulf Coast Realtor said:

Shot in the Dark Here.

Mark

So, it's just the front panel USB that's not working?

Try removing the end of that front panel internal USB cable from the motherboard and insert it again.

Like others have said though, this could be a dead port with a short or something that's dangerous to even use so I would be testing it with something you don't care about.