Gpu bottleneck

So I have an Intel Core i5-7200U and Intel HD 620 integrated graphics.  My gpu bottlenecks my cpu If I maybe slow down my cpu speed so my gpu won't be a bottleneck, will I be getting more fps?

No, because it doesn't work that way. The CPU tells the GPU what to do, the GPU does not tell the CPU what to do. GPUs do not bottleneck a CPU.

If your GPU is saturated and at 100%, nothing is going to change that aside from slowing the CPU down so much it stops sending it work.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, because it doesn't work that way. The CPU tells the GPU what to do, the GPU does not tell the CPU what to do. GPUs do not bottleneck a CPU.

If your GPU is saturated and at 100%, nothing is going to change that aside from slowing the CPU down so much it stops sending it work.

Isn't it the other way around?

Just now, Sn1p3z said:

Isn't it the other way around?

A performance bottleneck is when a component A depends on component B for work, but component B isn't fast enough to feed component A to completely saturate it.

A GPU is dependent on CPU to do work. The CPU couldn't care less about what the GPU is doing to do its thing.

A performance bottleneck is when a component A depends on component B for work, but component B isn't fast enough to feed component A to completely saturate it.

A GPU is dependent on CPU to do work. The CPU couldn't care less about what the GPU is doing to do its thing.

So I can have a core i7-7700K and use a GT 210 and my fps will be good? I don't think it works like that...

Just now, Fraser Cow said:

To put it very simply, you always want your GPU usage to be higher than your CPU usage while gaming.

But there are GPU intensive games and CPU intensive games though.

2 minutes ago, Sn1p3z said:

So I can have a core i7-7700K and use a GT 210 and my fps will be good? I don't think it works like that...

Of course not, but what you're suggesting doesn't make sense. In your OP, the GPU is already at 100% saturation. It's producing the maximum number of frames it can. What makes you think lowering your CPU performance will increase GPU performance?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Of course not, but what you're suggesting doesn't make sense. In your OP, the GPU is already at 100% saturation. It's producing the maximum number of frames it can. What makes you think lowering your CPU performance will increase GPU performance?

Fair point. But my CPU is just sitting around doing nothing while my GPU is about to catch fire.

Just now, Sn1p3z said:

But there are GPU intensive games and CPU intensive games though.

Just because a game uses a lot of CPU doesn't make what I said any less true. If your GPU usage is higher than your CPU, you know you're getting the most out of you GPU.

1 minute ago, Sn1p3z said:

Fair point. But my CPU is just sitting around doing nothing while my GPU is about to catch fire.

THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT! It means you're getting the most out of your GPU

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

What if both, CPU and GPU is at 100%? Isn't that perfect?

1 minute ago, Fraser Cow said:

Just because a game uses a lot of CPU doesn't make what I said any less true. If your GPU usage is higher than your CPU, you know you're getting the most out of you GPU.

I have been bamboozled.

3 minutes ago, Sn1p3z said:

That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you want more performance out of your system, you have to upgrade the component that's being saturated, in this case your GPU.

But considering the hardware you posted, it sounds like you have a laptop. Or at the very least, a computer that has no provisions for a video card (assuming there's no TB3 port). So there is no upgrading to be had here.

1 minute ago, Paddi01 said:

If your goal is to make the absolute most out of your computer, sure. But I'd rather have spare CPU overhead because a game is not the absolute only thing running on the PC.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you want more performance out of your system, you have to upgrade the component that's being saturated, in this case your GPU.

But considering the hardwaer you posted, it sounds like you have a laptop. Or at the very least, a computer that has no provisions for a video card (assuming there's no TB3 port). So there is no upgrading to be had here.

I could use an eGPU but I will lose performance doing that. By that I meant the GPU won't be reaching it's full potential.

CPU bottleneck -> Your CPU cant keep up with feeding your GPU at some point so for example. Your GPU only sits at 60% of usage and you are getting 100FPS. If you had no CPU bottleneck you would be using 100% of GPU and you would be sitting at around 140-160FPS on the same settings.

GPU bottleneck -> Your GPU runs at 100%. That can mean two things. You have a weak GPU and it struggles to hit playable FPS -> upgrade your GPU. Your CPU allows your GPU to push as much frames as it can so its runs at 100% which is quite normal.

In your case, your GPU is weak. This does not mean that you are loosing CPU performance. This means that your CPU does not have to spend resources feeding your GPU because the GPU could not do anything with it as it is already runing at 100%. Upgrade your GPU if you can.

4 minutes ago, Paddi01 said:

As long as you are getting the desired performance, yes.

But if you are getting less than optimal performance, no. In that case, both can be a bottleneck.

I managed to cap my R9 Fury out and make it hit 29FPS using SSAA in Skyrim + HBAO.

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

CPU bottleneck -> Your CPU cant keep up with feeding your GPU at some point so for example. Your GPU only sits at 60% of usage and you are getting 100FPS. If you had no CPU bottleneck you would be using 100% of GPU and you would be sitting at around 140-160FPS on the same settings.

GPU bottleneck -> Your GPU runs at 100%. That can mean two things. You have a weak GPU and it struggles to hit playable FPS -> upgrade your GPU. Your CPU allows your GPU to push as much frames as it can so its runs at 100% which is quite normal.

In your case, your GPU is weak. This does not mean that you are loosing CPU performance. This means that your CPU does not have to spend resources feeding your GPU because the GPU could not do anything with it as it is already runing at 100%. Upgrade your GPU if you can.

Alright. You guys got me. 

10 minutes ago, WereCat said:

As long as you are getting the desired performance, yes.

But if you are getting less than optimal performance, no. In that case, both can be a bottleneck.

Can you tell me how to get more fps please?

3 minutes ago, Sn1p3z said:

Can you tell me how to get more fps please?

With the Intel HD620 you dont have much choice but to use lowest settings and lower the resolution to at least 1280x720... in some games even lower.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

With the Intel HD620 you dont have much choice but to use lowest settings and lower the resolution to at least 1280x720... in some games even lower.

I use 480p xD

Just now, WereCat said:

Well then, you are out of luck :(

I get 60fps in 480p lowest.

Just now, Sn1p3z said:

I get 60fps in 480p lowest.

Yeah, depends on a game. In something like Overwatch you may be able to hit 60FPS on 720p.