[Graphics Design] Need help with downsizing

basically, I need to make a tarpaulin that's about 96x45". While my PC can (barely) handle 1:1 production of a image file that big, the PC of the printing service I'll be going to might not. The 1:1 PSD file currently sits at about 1.8GB, with more progress needed, so I expect the final product to sit at about 2 or 2.2GB.

So here's my question to y'all graphics designers: is it possible for me to downsize my canvas size so that I can still have the tarp printed at 96x45" while giving up as little quality as possible? If so, what size should I go with?

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

what are the pixel dimensions of the PSD canvas again?

does the printer need a PSD for layer information (e.g. selective gloss printing or laser area peforating)? if not, have you tried a jpg file at 90% quality?

Photoshop reports the dimensions at 28800x13500 pixels.

also, yes, the printer requires the PSD file.

Based on the resolution you stated your file is set to 300dpi. Are you sure the printer is even capable of this?

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB 

2 hours ago, Combustible Lemon said:

Based on the resolution you stated your file is set to 300dpi. Are you sure the printer is even capable of this?

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah @Combustible Lemon did the due resolution diligence there. 300dpi is for up-close prints (e.g. books, A3 posters). considering you're going to be printing on a large banner (that won't be viewed close up unless you've hidden your name in it) 72dpi will be serviceable. you can directly scale the image resolution by going to [Image > Image Size...] and adjusting the dpi number. check that the 96x45" remains.

if you really REALLY need the 300dpi then it'll be slightly complicated, especially if there lots of raster layers (photos, images etc)

as much as I'd want to reduce the dpi value to 72, I have to consider where the banner will be placed. It will be about eye-level so people will be looking at it close-up because it will have a double purpose as a  bulletin board (like, a portion of it is blank on purpose for tacking announcements and stuff)

also, I tried exporting an image of it to show a wip progress to my classmates, and it was rather a mess. On my PC (check specs below), it crashed my PC twice (not just Photoshop, but the whole PC) on both Export (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-W) and Save for Web (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S) but rendered just fine once I used Save As to a PNG image, at 154MB

still, I'll try to have a revision of the project with 72dpi, and see if that makes things a whole lot easier.

I still suggest you ask the printing service if it's possible to print at that size and resolution.
Personally i've never heard of a print that size that's been done in 300dpi. Just so you'll understand what size you are talking about - your image size is 388 Mega Pixels. that's insane.

PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 | Asus ROG B350-i Gaming | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Corsair CX650M | G.SKILL RIPJAW 16GB 3000Mhz | CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB AIO | SK Hynix SC308 256GB M.2 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | Fractal Design Define Nano S

Peripherals:

Red Dragon K552 Kumara RGB | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide | Razer Kraken USB