DDR3 motherboard

Hi guys, 

My NAS is struggling with the plex video transcoding I'm throwing at it so I think it's time to upgrade and I'm after a new motherboard. The thing is, I've already got 32 GB of DDR3 ECC memory and I don't want to have to replace that with current memory prices. Can anyone suggest a motherboard that's actually in stock for this purpose? 

It needs to have at least 4 DIMMs, 6 SATA ports on the same controller and IPMI. Other than that, I'm thinking socket 1150 or maybe 2011, for ease of finding a CPU, ideally an ITX form factor but I'm happy to go all the way up to an ATX board. I'm looking to keep the cost under ~$350 USD. 

I'd love to hear some recommendations!

1150 cannot take ECC ram and socket 2011 has very expensive motherboards

so, socket 2011 you go.. recommend going dual socket as you probably need lots of CPU power with video transcoding and might as well, motherboards are expensive regardless

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

1150 cannot take ECC ram and socket 2011 has very expensive motherboards

so, socket 2011 you go.. recommend going dual socket as you probably need lots of CPU power with video transcoding and might as well, motherboards are expensive regardless

The E3 Xeons support (unnbuffered) ECC. And transcoding doesn't require that much power -- the only way he'd need dual CPUs is if he ended to transcode a few dozen 1080p streams.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I was about to say, 1150 E3 Xeon's support unbuffered and that's what I have so no worries there. 1150 is probably the way to go. 

And dual socket 2011 is definitely overkill for my needs. I'm just looking to transcode a couple of 4k videos at a time for WAN streaming which any E3 Xeon should be able to handle. 

3 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

The cheapest option you can go is go back further

go AM3 platform.

I was thinking about that but I can't recall much about the performance of AM3 chips. Will they handle what I want to do with them? 

I suppose my other option is to offload processing to a separate machine. I'm about ready to upgrade my 3820 desktop. I could put a machine together using that to run all my process intensive tasks and just keep my existing NAS as storage. Can anyone foresee any issues with this approach? 

6 hours ago, ~Vengeance said:

I suppose my other option is to offload processing to a separate machine. I'm about ready to upgrade my 3820 desktop. I could put a machine together using that to run all my process intensive tasks and just keep my existing NAS as storage. Can anyone foresee any issues with this approach? 

What type of ram?  registered or unbuffered?

Id just use your old cpu from yolur desktop, and that will work with unbuffered.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd so buy that if they actually shipped to NZ :(. Even have an unused E5 I could put in it and ram, and a rackmount case. Hmmm, starting to see more good LGA2011 deals hitting ebay now.