Need a cheap motherboard for Ryzen 2600

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
8 minutes ago, P-Body said:

Thanks for the help, so with the X470 boards i won't have to do an update i have seen this which is fairly cheap https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TWzkcf/gigabyte-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming i don't really want to get a shop to do it for me as not sure what the price would be like and could save it for a better one . Thats good to know that i am able to still overclock if i wish need not know that thought it was like intel where its locked. Thanks :) 

Looks like a solid board and correct, no need to update the BIOS to get the CPU to work.

8 minutes ago, Zagna said:

2600 has Wraith Stealth, 2600X has Wraith Spire, 2700 has Wraith Spire (LED) and 2700X Wraith Prism.

That's right, I was thinking it was like the 1000 series chips where the 1600X, 1700X and 1800X didn't come with the cooler. Completely forgot the X series do come with a cooler as well for this generation :)

Hello,

I have decided that i am going with a  Ryzen 5 2600 for my CPU however i don't know what motherboard to go for i was hoping to keep the price under £100 if possible as i have chosen the non x i do not plan to overclock but would like to have max capacity of 64gb of ram just in case i want to add more. When i add some to my list in PC partpicker it always says that i have to do i bios update. Are there any boards that don't require this, or is updating the bios fairly easy to do?

Many Thanks

You'll have to either go with an X470 board or see if there is any shops nearby that could do the update for you. The update itself is pretty simple but you have to have a compatible CPU to start with. At one point AMD was offering kits where they would send you a cheap CPU to boot with so you could do the upgrade, not sure if they still do that or not.

On a side note, the only difference beside the base/boost clock on the 2600 and 2600X is the 2600X doesn't come with a cooler, they both can be overclocked if you choose to :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

On a side note, the only difference beside the base/boost clock on the 2600 and 2600X is the 2600X doesn't come with a cooler, they both can be overclocked if you choose to :)

2600 has Wraith Stealth, 2600X has Wraith Spire, 2700 has Wraith Spire (LED) and 2700X Wraith Prism.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You'll have to either go with an X470 board or see if there is any shops nearby that could do the update for you. The update itself is pretty simple but you have to have a compatible CPU to start with. At one point AMD was offering kits where they would send you a cheap CPU to boot with so you could do the upgrade, not sure if they still do that or not.

Thanks for the help, so with the X470 boards i won't have to do an update i have seen this which is fairly cheap https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TWzkcf/gigabyte-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-aorus-ultra-gaming i don't really want to get a shop to do it for me as not sure what the price would be like and could save it for a better one . Thats good to know that i am able to still overclock if i wish need not know that thought it was like intel where its locked. Thanks :) 

8 minutes ago, P-Body said:

Looks like a solid board and correct, no need to update the BIOS to get the CPU to work.

8 minutes ago, Zagna said:

That's right, I was thinking it was like the 1000 series chips where the 1600X, 1700X and 1800X didn't come with the cooler. Completely forgot the X series do come with a cooler as well for this generation :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

22 minutes ago, P-Body said:

ASrock Pro 4 is probably the best budget board, handles an OC on my R7 1700 just fine.

The gigabyte ultra gaming should be pretty good, very sad they only include real VRM heatsinks on the expensive top end model.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

prime x470 pro all the way

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM