Thermal Paste Dripping from Vertically Mounted GPU

I recently discovered that a small blob of thermal paste on my PCIe slot under my gpu, this seemed weird to me as the water block on my gpu was mounted properly and tightly. My GPU is vertically mounted so that could be the reason but I haven't found anyone else to have this issue with a vertically mounted GPU. Has only one else experienced this? Does anyone know what the cause could be and what a possible solution may be? The paste is just EK's Ectotherm paste that came with the block, thankfully its non-conductive so I don't think ill have any problems other than a mess and decreased thermal performance over time. Also, does anyone know a good way to remove thermal paste from PCIe slots?

I don't know how to clean thermal past off slots or anything, but as long as it's non-conductive I wouldn't worry about it.

The best solution would be to get a better thermal paste that isn't very viscous(viscous = flowing/liquid). Arctic Silver 5 is a good option.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 4/22/2018 at 1:29 AM, for7hyp3 said:

I recently discovered that a small blob of thermal paste on my PCIe slot under my gpu, this seemed weird to me as the water block on my gpu was mounted properly and tightly. My GPU is vertically mounted so that could be the reason but I haven't found anyone else to have this issue with a vertically mounted GPU. Has only one else experienced this? Does anyone know what the cause could be and what a possible solution may be? The paste is just EK's Ectotherm paste that came with the block, thankfully its non-conductive so I don't think ill have any problems other than a mess and decreased thermal performance over time. Also, does anyone know a good way to remove thermal paste from PCIe slots?

me too ..  aorus 1080 ti vertically mounted as it is too heavy and usually the card bends .. 4 months later after installing it pc won't boot so i opened the case to check it .. and i found this (in the photos) .. thermal paste was dripping into the pci express .. i am cleaning it right now by a needle tip and a hoover .. and i will use a swab with ethyl alcohol after finishing .. it is too difficult as the thermal paste was like a liquid when it was hot and it leaked into the most difficult place in between the pins and solidified

20180424_230455.jpg

Screenshot_20180425-034019.thumb.jpg.70c9628b75bc24c0c1cb222e29e397f8.jpg

7 hours ago, mustafa811 said:

me too ..  aorus 1080 ti vertically mounted as it is too heavy and usually the card bends .. 4 months later after installing it pc won't boot so i opened the case to check it .. and i found this (in the photos) .. thermal paste was dripping into the pci express .. i am cleaning it right now by a needle tip and a hoover .. and i will use a swab with ethyl alcohol after finishing .. it is too difficult as the thermal paste was like a liquid when it was hot and it leaked into the most difficult place in between the pins and solidified

Screenshot_20180425-034019.jpg

20180424_230455.jpg

Is that a stock card? Was that the same thermal paste that came on the card? Thats really interesting if that card is full stock, was the card running hotter than usual? FYI the thermal paste most likely isnt conductive so the board and the card should be fine, the paste was probably just preventing pins from making contact. 

yup i know it was not the cause it was a mere conincidence .. i discovered it by chance .. yup it is a stock gigabyte card never fiddled with .. i will monitor the temp if it is elevated i will open it and reapply a good thermal paste  or just send it for warranty