Open vs Closed Back????

Tarun10

I know the basic differences between these and since I use headphones primarily for music a wider soundstage from open would be great. I don't need much isolation from outside sound because it is really quiet and I rarely take the headphones outside. But others in the house, don't appreciate any sound leaking from my headphones as they don't particularly like any music I listen too. That is the reason I have some restraint on going with an open back headphones.

So, how much sound can I expect to leak outside from the following open headphone??? I don't need an exact measurement just something I can compare it to.

Philips SHP9500S

ATH AD 700X

Sennheiser HD 598 SR

Is the extra sound stage worth the lesser isolation??? Any other benefits I should know about??? Also are the Closed back versions of the HD 598 any good???

Well what kind of music do you listen to?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

All types of music and a lot of Netflix and YouTube. Its is mostly classical and some pop and rock.

It's not just isolation. You lose a lot of bass switching to open-back headphones. 

The Philips SHP9500 leak a lot of sound. The Sennheiser 598 leak a lot less. 

3 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

All types of music and a lot of Netflix and YouTube. Its is mostly classical and some pop and rock.

The Sennheiser 558 would be perfect for you. There's a newer model, the Sennheiser 559. 

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

Open back doesn't automatically mean more sound stage, that is a myth. 

Agree,great video for soundstage and imaging explained.Seems PRTF (Pinna-related transfer function) matter more for width of soundstage rather than open or closed.

10 hours ago, kokakolia said:

It's not just isolation. You lose a lot of bass switching to open-back headphones. 

The Philips SHP9500 leak a lot of sound. The Sennheiser 598 leak a lot less. 

The Sennheiser 558 would be perfect for you. There's a newer model, the Sennheiser 559. 

OK the those are off my list. How do the 559 compare to the 598 because the 598 are some of the few headphones that are almost the same price in India as in US.

Also How much leak can I expect from the AD 700X??? Also the Momentum ON-ears are the same price as the HD 598 SR so which one offers better sound quality overall???

I am also thinking about getting a closed pair for now and maybe an open pair later.

I understand the M40X need some accessories to be made comfortable, so after mods which will I get better comfort out of, HD 598s or M40X???

@Max_Settings @IFPMaximus34

10 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

OK the those are off my list. How do the 559 compare to the 598 because the 598 are some of the few headphones that are almost the same price in India as in US.

Also How much leak can I expect from the AD 700X??? Also the Momentum ON-ears are the same price as the HD 598 SR so which one offers better sound quality overall???

I am also thinking about getting a closed pair for now and maybe an open pair later.

I understand the M40X need some accessories to be made comfortable, so after mods which will I get better comfort out of, HD 598s or M40X???

@Max_Settings @IFPMaximus34

The 558 just sound warmer with more bass. The 598 has a bit more highs and feels more "neutral". The Momentum ON-ears isn't that good. 

25 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

The 558 just sound warmer with more bass. The 598 has a bit more highs and feels more "neutral". The Momentum ON-ears isn't that good. 

I heard the Momentums were just overpriced for their iOS compatibility or something. Ok Any views on the Status Audio CB-1??? I read they are pretty good but build quality is not as good as the M40X.

So far I have shortlisted the 558,598 and M40X.Any other closed or open headphones within 150$ I should consider??? A removable cable is a must.

2 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

I heard the Momentums were just overpriced for their iOS compatibility or something. Ok Any views on the Status Audio CB-1??? I read they are pretty good but build quality is not as good as the M40X.

So far I have shortlisted the 558,598 and M40X.Any other closed or open headphones within 150$ I should consider??? A removable cable is a must.

All of these choices are fantastic. You really can’t go wrong. That said, the stock pads on the M40x kinda suck. But the Sennheisers are just great out of the box. 

I also think that the CB-1 are great. They have awesome pads. They definetely look and feel cheap. But that’s not really a problem. They’re headphones. Just don’t throw them around or stuff them in a bag full of books. You’ll be fine.

8 hours ago, kokakolia said:

All of these choices are fantastic. You really can’t go wrong. That said, the stock pads on the M40x kinda suck. But the Sennheisers are just great out of the box. 

I also think that the CB-1 are great. They have awesome pads. They definetely look and feel cheap. But that’s not really a problem. They’re headphones. Just don’t throw them around or stuff them in a bag full of books. You’ll be fine.

Okay thanks but I have a dilemma on choosing between the M40X and the CB-1. The CB-1 are almost 130$ here, double their regular price, the m40X are around 110$. Which offers better sound quality?? I would definitely add some earpads for the extra 20$??? Also any difference between the HD 598 SE and SR and 599????

Thanks for the replies.

18 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Okay thanks but I have a dilemma on choosing between the M40X and the CB-1. The CB-1 are almost 130$ here, double their regular price, the m40X are around 110$. Which offers better sound quality?? I would definitely add some earpads for the extra 20$??? Also any difference between the HD 598 SE and SR and 599????

Thanks for the replies.

Just get the M40x then. They’re much more solid than the CB-1. And they sound good. 

19 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I have a pair of M40X w/ Brainwaves HM5 ANGLED pads.

The headphones sound great,  are comfortable, very portable (great for travel),  good isolation (with new pads).  I find I have these on my head much more often then my XPT 100's or HD 558's if that helps answer your question.. The M40x is truly a great all around headphone & paired with a Modmic/Massdrop mini mic and you have one hell of a headset.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

Just get the M40x then. They’re much more solid than the CB-1. And they sound good. 

So even the HD 598's don't compare??? They are almost the same price. I personally love Sennheiser's on-ear design for the pads and their sound signature is really good.

6 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

So even the HD 598's don't compare??? They are almost the same price. I personally love Sennheiser's on-ear design for the pads and their sound signature is really good.

They compare but are not as versatile in my opinion..  558's and 598's are great for certain things and just not so great with others that's why I purchased a pair of M40x to fill the gap and they do much more than that.

I find gaming & bass heavy music ( Rap, Hip hop, electronic ) dull with my HD 558's, really great for a competitive edge ( footsteps and positional audio is really good ) but gun shots, explosions etc etc are harsh on the ears and hollow sounding..

As with the M40x you really "feel" the explosions and gunshots but don't get me wrong you can still hear footsteps etc just fine and probably better than most "gaming headsets"...  

So If you can only have ONE headphone then go M40x w/ the pad upgrade you wont be disappointed.  If you can have a couple sets pickup a pair of open back cans as well or save up for some in the future. 

Cheers.

11 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

They compare but are not as versatile in my opinion..  558's and 598's are great for certain things and just not so great with others that's why I purchased a pair of M40x to fill the gap and they do much more than that.

I find gaming & bass heavy music ( Rap, Hip hop, electronic ) dull with my HD 558's, really great for a competitive edge ( footsteps and positional audio is really good ) but gun shots, explosions etc etc are harsh on the ears and hollow sounding..

As with the M40x you really "feel" the explosions and gunshots but don't get me wrong you can still hear footsteps etc just fine and probably better than most "gaming headsets"...  

So If you can only have ONE headphone then go M40x w/ the pad upgrade you wont be disappointed.  If you can have a couple sets pickup a pair of open back cans as well or save up for some in the future. 

Cheers.

Ok thanks . I don't game much, hardware is very expensive in India.