April 20, 2018 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

I can't get my head around the blame of an ad-blocker for the floatplane issue.  Not even sure that issue was high-lighted on this show on the one from the previous week. Either way, I cringe when I see the screen share covered with BS ads.  I recall one episode where the team was talking about how they don't use an adblocker at LLT.  Which 'internet' are you using? Cause the one I'm on is full of crap that my eye balls do not want to be concerned with. In fact, since setting up Pi-Hole, the 'internet' I use has been significantly more bearable. Die ads die :)

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

On 4/21/2018 at 7:47 AM, LinusTech said:

We're not talking about brand name stuff, to be clear.

Disagree all you want, but if it's not stolen, it's a commodity item, made of commodity metal.

If it's really cheap, it's probably impure/fake. If it's a LITTLE bit cheap, then maybe the vendor can take slightly lower margin. But I've yet to see it make much difference.

If it is a final product, like a bracelet, a ring, etc, there could be additional sources for price differences (like goldsmith labor costs, fixed costs -rent, utilities, etc- of the store selling it). Still, the metal itself will be a very large part of the cost, supporting your claim. If you can't get as a high a price for gold itself in country X, then you'll just not import it / export it somewhere else.

If Jerry joined the platform I wouldn’t be mad at all. His content, although not regularly uploaded, is always pretty great. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

On 4/22/2018 at 6:32 AM, valdyrgramr said:

They intentionally do this for profit

Yup, proven by their slowing down of older cell phones.

Stevie is greedy