I was Getting Random Shutdowns Because of The CPU power Cable Sticking to the Heatsink

YoboiCaseyJ
Go to solution Solved by KenjiUmino,

when the CPU power cable was touching the heatsink you got 12V shorted to ground, triggering the PSUs safeguards (hopefully) so it shut itself down immediately. 

totally seen this happen myself on my old core 2 duo system when a molex connector hit the copper fins of the cooler - there was a spark and the system shut down but after tucking the cable away and pressing the power button again the system bootet right up and worked fine like nothing happened. 

20 minutes ago, YoboiCaseyJ said:

My question is, Do I have to get my PSU Checked? Because the Wires Are Probably Melted or something & will Probably Kill my Computer sooner or later

probably? inspect the cables - do you SEE any actual damage?

So I was Playing my Games, then My computer Randomly Shut down, & then Again after I went back to check something, & then again When I was about to open a browser for help. I opened my Computer Because I was sure it was a hardware Problem, & it was. I saw somemarks On my Heatsink because the CPU power Cable was Sticking to it. I moved the Cable Away & it was now fine. My question is, Do I have to get my PSU Checked? Because the Wires Are Probably Melted or something & will Probably Kill my Computer sooner or later

5D73D45D-5DD2-4B42-B2B8-28EB62B81229.jpeg

Zip-tie it down, and boot it up. If it doesn't turn on, your cable might be fried.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

when the CPU power cable was touching the heatsink you got 12V shorted to ground, triggering the PSUs safeguards (hopefully) so it shut itself down immediately. 

totally seen this happen myself on my old core 2 duo system when a molex connector hit the copper fins of the cooler - there was a spark and the system shut down but after tucking the cable away and pressing the power button again the system bootet right up and worked fine like nothing happened. 

20 minutes ago, YoboiCaseyJ said:

My question is, Do I have to get my PSU Checked? Because the Wires Are Probably Melted or something & will Probably Kill my Computer sooner or later

6 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

This. Cables are coated in rubber. If the cable is the issue, it should have scorch or 'grill' marks from the heatsink, and misshapen rubber.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

14 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

Yeah I tucked it by the Side with some Zip Ties & I inspected the Wire a bit & I don’t seem to find anything bad & yes it does Work like nothing happened. Thx :)

1 minute ago, YoboiCaseyJ said:

Yeah I tucked it by the Side with some Zip Ties & I inspected the Wire a bit & I don’t seem to find anything bad & yes it does Work like nothing happened

hooray for power supplies with working short circuit protection :D