Assistance finding a bottleneck

Alurior
2 minutes ago, Alurior said:

The phone transmitter doohickey is quite close to the router, but it has been ever since I've lived here, and I don't think it's ever been an issue before. I have also called the ISP in the past couple of days and they insist it is on my end. I turned off the microwave and secondary phone reciever, and it's probably a placebo thing but the speed seems to have reached a slightly more stable 4-8 mbps.

As mentioned before though, connecting via LAN or cable is not possible.

My general advice about cordless phones and microwaves was accurate, but I'm sorry I misread a bit of what you said previously. If your phones etc can access the internet through your access point/router at a faster speed than your desktop, then as @jde3 said the issue is either local to your desktop, or between your desktop and your router.

Can you tell us what actual connection speed your desktop has between itself and the router? You can see by going to network and sharing centre - network connections - then right clicking your wifi connection and selecting "status", like th eimage below.

network.png

Here's what it currently looks like. I am running windows 7 because I don't like windows 10

diagnoses.png

Edited by Alurior
Forgot info

13 minutes ago, Alurior said:

Here's what it currently looks like. I am running windows 7 because I don't like windows 10

diagnoses.png

That's not a problem (win7 vs 10), I was mainly looking to see the speed and signal quality metrics shown. It seems that although you're connecting at a decent speed (150mbit), you don't have a very good signal.

Can you open a command prompt (windows key + r, then type cmd), and run the command ipconfig?

That will tell you the "default gateway" for your wifi connection. 

Once you get that, type ping *ip address of gateway* -n 100

That will allow us to quickly judge the overall stability of your wifi connection.

probably wrong, but that's what I got.

pingtest.png

10.0.0.138 prob isn't your gateway.. (who knows) but your already showing a problem there with just 4 packets. the one that is 105ms is absurdly long for a local connection.

(There is a space between the -t and the ip)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

18 minutes ago, Alurior said:

probably wrong, but that's what I got.

pingtest.png

It wasn't exactly what I had been looking for but it was good enough - you have some major issues with the connection between your desktop and your access point. I'd try the basics first:

1. Download and install the latest version of your wifi card drivers

2. Try to rearrange the antennae so that you get a better signal on your pc (if possible)

3. If possible (and your machine has a hardwired network card instead of a portable one with a wire), try to move your machine to a location with a better direct-line to your router.

If none of that is possible (remember to test using ping 10.0.0.138 -n 100 after each change), it may not be possible to improve your connection without a better wifi adapter.

Edit: Like @jde3 said, since it's an unusual ip address, please run tracert 10.0.0.138 and show us the results please, as it'll help us see if you're pinging another local device or your router. (it's bad either way, but worse if it's the router).

I will do that in a little bit. I decided to check if the card itself was loose. It isn't. Currently rebooting.

@Alurior Those ping packets that take longer than normal. (more than 1-4ms) are re-transmissions, errors, etc. A lot of things can cause this. Shitty card, poor driver, interference with other wifi, interference with other stuff, lots of trees even metal in the walls causing excess noise.. could be anything. Oh it could also be that the WAP is waiting because too many clients are trying to transmit.

Look around for a wifi tuning guide up here, there are tons probably by a lot more knowledgeable people than me I'm sure. They should be able to help you track down these problems and get a clear signal.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law