Why is 500GB SSD so much cheaper than 512GB?

So I'm browsing for the right SSD to buy, and I found 2 SSD's, both Samsung 850 editions.

One is 500GB (125EUR) (https://www.coolblue.nl/product/542830/samsung-850-evo-500-gb-2-5-inch.html)

The other is 512GB (220EUR) (https://www.coolblue.nl/product/483380/samsung-ssd-850-pro-512-gb-2-5-inch.html)

My question is why is there a price increase of almost 100EUR for the extra 12GB of storage?

Also, which one would I be better of buying? They both seem like perfectly good SSD's to me

1 minute ago, Unistash said:

So I'm browsing for the right SSD to buy, and I found 2 SSD's, both Samsung 850 editions.

One is 500GB (125EUR) (https://www.coolblue.nl/product/542830/samsung-850-evo-500-gb-2-5-inch.html)

The other is 512GB (220EUR) (https://www.coolblue.nl/product/483380/samsung-ssd-850-pro-512-gb-2-5-inch.html)

My question is why is there a price increase of almost 100EUR for the extra 12GB of storage?

Also, which one would I be better of buying? They both seem like perfectly good SSD's to me

Damn, i think it is some kinda discount. Thats a really good ssd for the pricd

My main rig  Shardsedge

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build is made for video editing, Gaming and livestreaming.

probably 65% of this build has been bought used.

• Specifications:

CPU  AMD Ryzen 7 1700

GPU  Sapphire RX 580 PULSE 4GB

SSD ✦ Toshiba TR200 240GB

HDD ✦ WD Black 160GB 2.5" + WD BLUE 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair RM750X

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 3000Mhz

CASE ✦ Corsair Crystal 460X

MOBO MSI X370 SLI Plus

My old pc build  Smoke

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build was made for gaming especially, it was my second build.

i had some struggles livestreaming on it because the CPU just wasn't good enough for that.

(I do not have this build anymore)

• Specifications:

CPU ✦ Intel i5 6500

GPU  Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 4G D5

SSD ✦ Kingston SSDNow v300 120GB

HDD ✦ WD Blue 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair CX450M

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 2400Mhz

CASE ✦ Sharkoon S25-V

MOBO ✦ MSI H110M ECO

Just now, Unistash said:

850 pro costs more since it is a higher quality product. Is it worth that much more? No, it isn't. But you're not just paying for an extra 12 gb. It is faster and more reliable and comes with a 10 year warranty if I am not mistaken.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Just now, Daveeede said:

850 pro costs more since it is a higher quality product. Is it worth that much more? No, it isn't. But you're not just paying for an extra 12 gb. It is faster and more reliable and comes with a 10 year warranty if I am not mistaken.

So your tip would be to buy the 500GB EVO product anways?

The 100EUR seems to steep

Are you sure you’re looking at the same product line? Ones an evo and ones a pro

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

6 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Are you sure you’re looking at the same product line? Ones an evo and ones a pro

My bad, indeed they are different.

9 minutes ago, Unistash said:

My bad, indeed they are different.

All good. IMHO is just go with the evo I’d youre trying to save money.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

All SSD's are so good nowadays for normal usage that the cheapest one at the capacity you need is always the best bet. I'd never recommend a pro drive to someone since they cost so much more, for very little real-world gain. 

If you're looking for drives in the 2.5" form factor, absolutely 100% go for the cheapest one of the capacity you need. Any product line launched in the last 4 years will be saturating sata 3 anyway, so paying more is a fools game.

If you don't know the difference between the evo and the pro, then you don't need the pro.

The price difference has nothing to do with the extra 12GB on the label.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

47 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If you don't know the difference between the evo and the pro, then you don't need the pro.

The price difference has nothing to do with the extra 12GB on the label.

And even if you do know the difference, you probably still don't need the pro. :D I'm not saying there's no use-case for better quality flash NAND, but for most people, including enthusiasts like myself, buying the regular 840/850 drives is just fine if you don't have the cash lying around. (Or if you'd like to save that cash for coffee, beer, tea, wine, etc.) There are reasons to buy better quality flash NAND, such as heavy data workloads or for a cache drive in a ZFS server, for instance, but unless you're constantly writing to an SSD 24/7 chances are it will outlive it's usefulness in the capacity department before it dies.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)