CPU VR Question

Go to solution Solved by KarathKasun,

In more simple titles you will likely be fine.

The 4770k(4790k isn't worth the extra $50 IMHO)/1080 combo would generally get you where you want to be without dropping 2g on a new computer, and should let your core system last another 2 years or so.

If you are not going to OC, the E3-1240 V3 or i7-4770 non-k may be viable CPUs as well.  The 1240 V3 looks to be priced around $150 currently and is pretty much a 4770 non-k without integrated graphics for $30 less.

I recently did the Steam VR test, and I came out with everything on the very high range with no frames below 90 FPS. But, I saw that the test doesn’t include the stress on the CPU of tracking me. I wouldn’t be worried about this usually, but my processor specs is below the minimum requirements.

Heres my computer specs-

i5-4460

GeForce GTX 1060

16 GB of RAM

1TB Hard Drive

480 Watt PSU

Would my computer be able to handle the full VR experience?

The primary need for a fast CPU is to maintain 90FPS and eliminate frame drops.  Frame drops in VR can cause motion sickness or disorientation.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The primary need for a fast CPU is to maintain 90FPS and eliminate frame drops.  Frame drops in VR can cause motion sickness or disorientation.

Imagine lag for human eyes, life would never be the same.

19 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

So am I able to run the full VR experience?

6 minutes ago, spark_ said:

So am I able to run the full VR experience?

Well that depends

Define Full VR experience

My life

1 hour ago, Himommies said:

Well that depends

Define Full VR experience

Over 90 FPS 99% of the time, all the base stations tracking, etc.

1 hour ago, spark_ said:

Over 90 FPS 99% of the time, all the base stations tracking, etc.

Likely not.  4c/8t would be the minimum I would classify as "full VR experience" under those conditions.  I would also say GTX 1080 minimum as downscaling from 4k is the only way I have seen to get rid of the aliasing artifacts on text, textures, and geometry at the same time.

GTX 1060 may cut it for many games, but some games like Elite Dangerous make heavy use of text in the user interface and have very far render distances.  This causes pretty horrible aliasing without downsampling from something much higher than 1080p.

Just from playing around with seated experience stuff (using a normal gamepad) Ive found that aliasing and low FPS (FPS ties directly into head tracking latency in most cases) are the largest immersion breakers in VR.

15 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Likely not.  4c/8t would be the minimum I would classify as "full VR experience" under those conditions.  I would also say GTX 1080 minimum as downscaling from 4k is the only way I have seen to get rid of the aliasing artifacts on text, textures, and geometry at the same time.

GTX 1060 may cut it for many games, but some games like Elite Dangerous make heavy use of text in the user interface and have very far render distances.  This causes pretty horrible aliasing without downsampling from something much higher than 1080p.

Just from playing around with seated experience stuff (using a normal gamepad) Ive found that aliasing and low FPS (FPS ties directly into head tracking latency in most cases) are the largest immersion breakers in VR.

I’m planning to play more games like SUPERHOT, Subnautica, Job Simulator, etc. Not really long distance games. A little bit of aliasing is fine, I’m not picky. Really what I’m worried about is sustaining at least 90 FPS.

So 1, am I okay at sustaining 90 FPS will just a small amount of aliasing?

And 2, would getting a 4790k or a 1070 Ti, or both, solve these issues?

You will not likely hold 90fps at high settings on Subnautica, you can try setting the scaling setting in Steam VR to something like 1.5 to get rid of major aliasing.  This is similar to using 2560x1440 as your resolution if your monitor is 1080p.

Budgeting for those two parts should be part of your overall plan to go VR.

27 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

You will not likely hold 90fps at high settings on Subnautica, you can try setting the scaling setting in Steam VR to something like 1.5 to get rid of major aliasing.  This is similar to using 2560x1440 as your resolution if your monitor is 1080p.

Budgeting for those two parts should be part of your overall plan to go VR.

It might be better to honestly just buy a new computer. I have one in mind here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Z4cZxG

Would that be a capable VR system?

Would I be able to sustain 90 FPS and no major aliasing on Job Simulator and SUPERHOT on my current computer?

The 4770k(4790k isn't worth the extra $50 IMHO)/1080 combo would generally get you where you want to be without dropping 2g on a new computer, and should let your core system last another 2 years or so.

If you are not going to OC, the E3-1240 V3 or i7-4770 non-k may be viable CPUs as well.  The 1240 V3 looks to be priced around $150 currently and is pretty much a 4770 non-k without integrated graphics for $30 less.

27 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Ok. Thanks for all the info. :)