My PC just died. Any ideas? Most likely a dead PSU.

NPSTR107
Go to solution Solved by NPSTR107,
On 4/26/2018 at 6:11 PM, NPSTR107 said:

Ok, well I finally got the chance to attempt jump starting the PSU and...... It's dead.

Two days ago I finally received my new PSU and installed it, *drumroll*

It works!

A couple days back I was editing a video in Premiere, and my PC just shut down without warning. I obviously just tried to turn it back on again, but it wouldn't start. I have tried several different cables etc.

I've made sure no internal cables are loose, and also, when attempting to start, the PSU fan doesn't spin. (This isn't one of those PSU's that stops the fan on idle, it's 5 years old.)

Is there any way to confirm that it's the PSU that is dead, not just the mobo?

I built this PC a couple months back, and the only used parts were the SeaSonic G Series 550watt + GTX780 which are 5 years old.

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

What PSU is it? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

What PSU is it? 

A SeaSonic G Series 550watt.

1523789934726402666405.jpg

This viedo could be useful for troubleshooting.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

I forget which two you got to stick them in the 20 pin cable and there's videos out there on how you can create a jumper using a paper clip to see if your PSU died. There is a chance that if your PSU did die that other parts will be damaged. I had this happen to me with one of my CPU's and got in contact with their customer service and sent them my PC. They took it, test it out to confirm which parts were dead which was only the CPU, and bought me a new CPU, installed it for me, gave me a gold standard PSU, then sent it back to me.

12 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I doubt that PSU is dead, its a pretty solid unit, jumpstart it to see if it works.

I'll have to check that another day. I hope it's the PSU that's dead to be honest, as the mobo is probably only two months old or something.

1 minute ago, NPSTR107 said:

I'll have to check that another day. I hope it's the PSU that's dead to be honest, as the mobo is probably only two months old or something.

Usually if something is faulty, it will die quickly, since the PC is only a few months old it could be the board. Under normal conditions a PSU like that will last 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 9:03 PM, RAM555789 said:

I forget which two you got to stick them in the 20 pin cable and there's videos out there on how you can create a jumper using a paper clip to see if your PSU died. There is a chance that if your PSU did die that other parts will be damaged. I had this happen to me with one of my CPU's and got in contact with their customer service and sent them my PC. They took it, test it out to confirm which parts were dead which was only the CPU, and bought me a new CPU, installed it for me, gave me a gold standard PSU, then sent it back to me.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, chckovsky said:

This viedo could be useful for troubleshooting.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:01 PM, TrigrH said:

I doubt that PSU is dead, its a pretty solid unit, jumpstart it to see if it works.

Ok, well I finally got the chance to attempt jump starting the PSU and...... It's dead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2018 at 6:11 PM, NPSTR107 said:

Two days ago I finally received my new PSU and installed it, *drumroll*

It works!