Vitrualization

Judd

So in my current PC, I have a 1600X with a gtx 1070 and a 1050ti. I have Windows 10 running perfectly with both graphics cards and I want to create a virtual machine inside of Windows that will be using 2 cores and the 1050ti. It will also have a seperate network adapter and 500gb hdd. So I tried Hyper V, and it does not seem to have PCI passthrough which is a must for me. So, is there any other free program to use on Windows 10 as the host, that has PCI passthrough? I would want to have Ubuntu as the secondary O.S. but this may change depending on what I want to experiment with. However, if I could use Ubuntu as the host and run a VM inside of that with Windows 10 I would be fine with that as long as all of my programs are still there. So the Windows 10 I have now will become the guest while Ubuntu is the host. I just need to make sure I would not lose any data. I would think this is possible due to Windows being on its own seperate SSD and HDD. I just do not have the experience to know for sure. So if this is possible, could you please tell me how? Thank you 

AFAIK Windows doesn't support hardware passthrough full stop and even on Linux it's insanely complicated. It's not something a novice should ever attempt and my understanding is even hardcore Linux users will find the process incredibly involved.

You're best option is use a hypervisor like ESXi or UNRaid and create 2 separate VMs that way. The downside is hypervisors require a second machine to access the control panel and create the VMs.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@Master Disaster

I have a second machine to use to access the control panel. But my question is if I make unRaid the host OS then make Windows a guest will I lose all of my data? Also, it appears ESXi and unRaid are not free. Are there any alternatives? But thank you for the response. And in no way am I experienced in Linux so there woul dbe no hope for me to create a VM with PCI passthrough on Linux.

4 minutes ago, Judd said:

@Master Disaster

I have a second machine to use to access the control panel. But my question is if I make unRaid the host OS then make Windows a guest will I lose all of my data? Also, it appears ESXi and unRaid are not free. Are there any alternatives? But thank you for the response. And in no way am I experienced in Linux so there woul dbe no hope for me to create a VM with PCI passthrough on Linux.

Yes, if you installed a hypervisor then you'd have to start fresh (AFAIK anyway).

I believe there's a cut down version of ESXi that's free, it's called VSphere but I'd suggest you try it out in a VM before committing to it, hypervisors are not something I've had much experience with and while I understand the concept I'd hate for you to commit only to find it's not what you need.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@Master Disaster

Thank you for helping me with this and I will try Vsphere in a VM first. And thanks for verifying that I would have to start fresh with Windows.