3000 MHz RAM at 2133 MHz. Bios settings failed.

Hello! I'm kind of a noob in terms of "overclocking" or in this case, making RAM run at the correct speeds.

Specs:

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000 (Timing is 16-18-18-38 in case that matters)

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 at stock speeds and settings

Mobo: Asus Prime X370-Pro (Updated the BIOS today)

So I've realized that my RAM isn't running at the advertised speeds of 3000 MHz. Instead, it's running at 2133 MHz. I've updated the BIOS, nothing changed. Then I tried to set it manually in the BIOS: I went to the "AI Tweaker" and set it from auto to "D.O.C.P." as it is the only other option. Then it automatically set the speeds to 3000 MHz and I thought "Sweet! I don't have to do anything else!" but it failed to even boot up a couple times in a row, leading me to this recovery setup screen thingy that you get when something went wrong, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, my method obviously didn't work... So, do you guys know what I have to do in order to run it at 3000 MHz? Is it even worth it for gaming? Does it have any negative side-effects?

Thanks in advance for your helpful answers!

So chances are the kit is not validated to work with your board on the QVL list. Try setting the XMP/DOCP profile but turning down the MHZ to like 2666 and test, if it works there, then go up another level until you cant boot into windows. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Puntherline said:

Hello! I'm kind of a noob in terms of "overclocking" or in this case, making RAM run at the correct speeds.

Specs:

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3000 (Timing is 16-18-18-38 in case that matters)

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 at stock speeds and settings

Mobo: Asus Prime X370-Pro (Updated the BIOS today)

So I've realized that my RAM isn't running at the advertised speeds of 3000 MHz. Instead, it's running at 2133 MHz. I've updated the BIOS, nothing changed. Then I tried to set it manually in the BIOS: I went to the "AI Tweaker" and set it from auto to "D.O.C.P." as it is the only other option. Then it automatically set the speeds to 3000 MHz and I thought "Sweet! I don't have to do anything else!" but it failed to even boot up a couple times in a row, leading me to this recovery setup screen thingy that you get when something went wrong, you know what I'm talking about.

Anyways, my method obviously didn't work... So, do you guys know what I have to do in order to run it at 3000 MHz? Is it even worth it for gaming? Does it have any negative side-effects?

Thanks in advance for your helpful answers!

read the memory guide in my signature

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

32 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

So chances are the kit is not validated to work with your board on the QVL list. Try setting the XMP/DOCP profile but turning down the MHZ to like 2666 and test, if it works there, then go up another level until you cant boot into windows. 

I have tried to go up one step and set it to2400 MHz and it still didn't boot. I've documented what it automatically applies to everything:

• AI Overclock Tuner -> D.O.C.P.
  • Memory Frequency -> 2400 MHz
  • DRAM Voltage -> 1.39000
  • DRAM CAS# Latency -> 16
  • Trcdrd -> 18
  • Trcdwr -> 18
  • DRAM RAS# PRE Time -> 18
  • DRAM RAS# ACT Time -> 38
  • ProcODT ->53.3 ohm
  • RttNom -> RZQ/6
  • RttPark ->RZQ/5
  • MemAddrCmdSetup -> 25
  • MemCsOdtSetup -> 15
  • MemCkeSetup -> 15
32 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

read the memory guide in my signature

Thanks! I've looked at the qualified vendor list before and the RAM that I have is on there (F4-3000C16D-16GTZR). The timing is set correctly in the BIOS, although the voltage is set to 1.39000 volts and in the list it says it should be at 1.35 volts. Should I try setting it to that voltage?

EDIT: I've tried to set it to 2400 MHz and set the voltage down to 1.35V, as it's specified in the QVL but still no success. As I mentioned before, I am a total noob in terms of overclocking (and pretty much everything in the bios) and I don't want to break anything, so I won't just play around with these settings like a madman.

Try increasing the Trs timing mine won’t work at the default 56, it needs to be 62 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

You need to set:

RttNom = Auto (Mine is RZQ/7, but it could be RZQ/5 or RZQ/3 too, not sure about disabled)

RttWr = RZQ/3

RttPark = RZQ/1

21 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Try increasing the Trs timing mine won’t work at the default 56, it needs to be 62 

I have not found any option that said TRS-timing, nothing similar as well. Do you mean all timings that begin with TR and end with S?

21 hours ago, sbakic said:

You need to set:

RttNom = Auto (Mine is RZQ/7, but it could be RZQ/5 or RZQ/3 too, not sure about disabled)

RttWr = RZQ/3

RttPark = RZQ/1

I have set all these options but the PC still wouldn't boot properly.

Ok, so I have the C6H Asus board, so I don't know if you'll have all the same settings.  I can get my memory to work across 4 sticks at 3333mhz, so I'll try to help if I can.  

Honestly, you don't have to go through all of that, it's really overkill for the settings.  Loading the DHCP profile should work for most of the settings, but you'll need to change a few other things.

1) Up your CPU_Soc voltage.  Do not go aboive 1.2, I'm currently at 1.1 but can boot and run successfully at 1.05 if it's not super memory intensive, so I leave it at 1.1

2) If you have the option, up your DRAM boot voltage to 1.35.  Mine's in Power settings on C6H.

3) Loosen your timings on first boot, instead of 16-18-18-38 from profile, run 20-20-20-44 or something, let it train the memory, reset a few times, then lower to back to 16-18-18-38.

Without increasing CPU_SOC voltage, I cant even boot over 2400mhz.  Also... Skip off numbers after CL15, (example, 17 will default to 18... just the way Ryzen works). Below CL15 you can do each one, but not above.

Edit: Uploading a photo with proof of speeds/settings, just for proof that it's not BS.

Capture22.JPG

18 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Ok, so I have the C6H Asus board, so I don't know if you'll have all the same settings.  I can get my memory to work across 4 sticks at 3333mhz, so I'll try to help if I can.  

Honestly, you don't have to go through all of that, it's really overkill for the settings.  Loading the DHCP profile should work for most of the settings, but you'll need to change a few other things.

1) Up your CPU_Soc voltage.  Do not go aboive 1.2, I'm currently at 1.1 but can boot and run successfully at 1.05 if it's not super memory intensive, so I leave it at 1.1

2) If you have the option, up your DRAM boot voltage to 1.35.  Mine's in Power settings on C6H.

3) Loosen your timings on first boot, instead of 16-18-18-38 from profile, run 20-20-20-44 or something, let it train the memory, reset a few times, then lower to back to 16-18-18-38.

Without increasing CPU_SOC voltage, I cant even boot over 2400mhz.  Also... Skip off numbers after CL15, (example, 17 will default to 18... just the way Ryzen works). Below CL15 you can do each one, but not above.

I have tried your settings and it didn't boot again. But I have not found the setting to adjust my CPU_Soc voltage. The only voltage options that I have found are:

• VDDCR CPU
  • VDDCR SOC
  • DRAM
  • 1.05V SB
  • 2.5V SB
  • CPU 1.80V
  • VTTDDR
  • VPP_MEM
  • VDDP Standby

Is there a different setting that I have to change so I can adjust the CPU_Soc voltage?

Another thing, if it's not working, set your voltages first, then reset. then set your timings but leave it at 2133. then set your speed. Sometimes it takes steps it get your memory working right.

23 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Looking up your board, it appears it's labeled "VDDCR SOC" and not recommended over 1.1v.  Try 1.0 first

I tried to boot it when it was set to 1.0, 1.025, 1.5, 1.075 and 1.1, nothing worked.

14 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Another thing, if it's not working, set your voltages first, then reset. then set your timings but leave it at 2133. then set your speed. Sometimes it takes steps it get your memory working right.

I have also tried that in this order and it did not work. I have tried setting it to DOCP before with every setting at standard (2133 MHz, every voltage to auto/standard voltage) and even then it did not boot. I think it might just be a weird compatibility issue with my board or the ram.

You need to set procODT to min 60 ohm, you can try 68,8 ohm even.. but recommended is 53.3 - 60. I have failed RAM Training at 60ohm but everything is stable.

Problem is that if it's on 'Auto' motherboard will set it to less than 60 ohm. But try manual to set it to 60 ohm, if it doesn't boot try 68.8 ohm

11 minutes ago, sbakic said:

You need to set procODT to min 60 ohm, you can try 68,8 ohm even.. but recommended is 53.3 - 60. I have failed RAM Training at 60ohm but everything is stable.

Problem is that if it's on 'Auto' motherboard will set it to less than 60 ohm. But try manual to set it to 60 ohm, if it doesn't boot try 68.8 ohm

I have tried to set it to 60 and 68.6 but nothing worked, it fails to boot three times in a row as always.

I checked the QVL (qualified vendors list) again to see if I might have missed something and over at "DIMM socket support (Optional)" it has two dots, one at "1 DIMM" and the other one at "2 DIMM". Does that mean that 2 RAM sticks are supported or that I have to populate the DIMM slot 1 and 2 with them?

(Here's the QVL. My RAM is on the second page, last G.Skill entry)

I have found my mistake. And it is an unbelievably stupid mistake so I hope that all of you accept my apology!

When I started the thread I said that I set the AI Tweaker from Auto to D.O.C.P. and that was my mistake, I shouldn't have set that. The only thing I would have had to adjust was the frequency only - From "Auto" to the desired speed - in my case 3000 MHz.

I do want to apologize once again! Thank you guys very much for all of your helpful answers.