Are HTPC relevant in 2018

Hi guys, how's going around...

I have dilemma for my self and questions: 

Are HTPC relevant in 2018...

I was thinking on building one just for fun... 

But knowing how many pre build set-up boxes are out there, with all the capabilities of 4k, all the apps (Hulu, Netflix etc..)... 

And looking from user perspective, they are really friendly and have no need of high knowledge of configuration and maintenance like hardware running Kodi or etc... 

Second question is all about remotes... 

Small keyboards, all the Chinese remotes, they are kinda weird to use, and some times have too much stuff on them or just inconvenient to use.

Personally I found The Greatest innovation and also Failure the Steam controller as my saviour (No offense) I really love it...  But combining it with other systems or applications is bit.. how to say tricky... 

Just reminder.. real question is are they relevant in these days...

T.

EDIT_1 - I found old topic here from 2015 not much interesting stuff up there...

With streaming being the norm now, they are more relevant than over I would think.

As for build your own vs getting something like an Intel Nuc, that's all personal choice.

To tick all the boxes, you're probably looking at an Android box; for cost, ease of use, remote, app-support, etc... it's hard to beat one.

That being said, an HTPC can be just as useful, if not more so in terms of gaming, and if you're okay with some type of wireless keyboard/mouse setup (...or a lap desk I guess).

I used to use HTPCs in my house, but I've since changed them out for Mi Boxes, and simply use a PS4 in the living room which only really sees use for Netflix, Plex, Youtube, and Spotify.

They are litty, ive always wanted one even tho i dont watch TV that much.

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

10 minutes ago, divito said:

To tick all the boxes, you're probably looking at an Android box; for cost, ease of use, remote, app-support, etc... it's hard to beat one.

That being said, an HTPC can be just as useful, if not more so in terms of gaming, and if you're okay with some type of wireless keyboard/mouse setup (...or a lap desk I guess).

I used to use HTPCs in my house, but I've since changed them out for Mi Boxes, and simply use a PS4 in the living room which only really sees use for Netflix, Plex, Youtube, and Spotify.

See that's the point, PS4 can do basic stuff, and then all the stuff comes out to daylight...

I used few of them, builded by my self. One of worst things was "OS" being used, Kodi broke a lot, steam big picture terrible, Win version of home theater edition just sucked. 

Anyways will do another one. 

15 minutes ago, v0nn_toaster said:

They are litty, ive always wanted one even tho i dont watch TV that much.

That was one of the things keep it small etc...

So you know one of the points looking as a consumer, I don't want to spend 4hours setting it up, just plug and play...

But right now thinking all these smart TVs have all apps and stuff... Keeps me thinking.

4 minutes ago, Tashkas said:

See that's the point, PS4 can do basic stuff, and then all the stuff comes out to daylight...

I used few of them, builded by my self. One of worst things was "OS" being used, Kodi broke a lot, steam big picture terrible, Win version of home theater edition just sucked. 

Anyways will do another one. 

I agree there; I kind of wish there was an all-encompassing OS that could handle everything and be remote-friendly. And I don't mean one of those mini keyboards, but an actual TV-like interface.

Kodi is decent and all, but you still need an OS underneath if you're looking to run PC games, or actually use Youtube, Netflix, etc.. since Kodi doesn't get actual legit support. Kind of makes me want Windows Media Center back.