Need some advice on starting a small NAS

I have some old hard drives that I want to try using as a part of a personal storage server, their sizes being 250GB, 160GB, 80GB, and 40GB. Would it be a good idea to try to make a small 24/7 sever with these drives? Do I have to run these guys in RAID? Is a storage server even possible on hardware like this? This is my first time making a NAS, so I'm not really that knowledgeable about this. 

I'm getting a free Pentium 4 PC from a friend to try it out, but honestly, I feel like the hardware is way too old and slow. Would it be better to start from scratch, dropping some money on some modern low power hardware and 1TB hard drives? 

Try to get 24/7 operation rated HDDs, and RAID 1/5 them.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I have found that the best budget oriented solution to a personal NAS is getting decommissioned server/workstation gear, and a throw in a few NAS rated hard drives.

A NAS is basically a PC that is meant for 24/7 usage. Its sole purpose is to move files back and forth, and to store them.

If you are looking for a good drive to use, I would definitively recommend the WD Red lineup, as they make an excellent addition to a 24/7 NAS. These drives are a lot better than most others for a NAS, as they are rated for 24/7 operation, so they will not wear out as quickly. Buying a few of these (whatever fits your budget) and running raid will probably be the best solution.

I would say the 4TB models are the best price/performance, but if that is out of budget you should go for the 2TB version.

An old Pentium 4 will struggle with almost anything you throw at it, even if it is just moving files back and forth. You should probably not buy new, as used hardware will do just as well for a server like this, whilst being a fraction of the price. 

You should look around a little for older workstations. I picked up a dual socket 1366 workstation for right under $100, and it works like a charm. If you find a socket 771, 1366 or 2011 workstation or server that fits within your budget, you should probably buy it, as workstations and servers often have a lot of SATA ports, meaning that you can hook up a lot of drives.

My dual 1366 system has insane value. It has 12 cores, 24 threads. Works great for a NAS, Plex media server, website hosting or rendering. Almost anything you could imagine. 

Hope this helps :)

If you wonder about anything else, just ask.

-Leo