Upgrade from 60Hz to 120Hz in laptop...possible?

genexis_x

Title says. If possible, what panel model you would suggest? I'm considering to do it after the warranty period ends. My current LG panel has some ghosting in fast paced games like CSGO and OKish contrast which makes dark spots sometimes hard to be seen.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

no, you'll have to get a new laptop unless you are a really good computer engineer, especially getting it mounted to the hinges

Well, if you could find a panel that matched the OEM panels dimensions, and used the same connector (LVDS 30pin, 40pin or eDP) I don't see why not.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

12 minutes ago, General Winter said:

no, you'll have to get a new laptop unless you are a really good computer engineer, especially getting it mounted to the hinges

Impossible to get a new laptop. I'll probably bring to a shop that provides panel changing service in laptop.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Well, if you could find a panel that matched the OEM panels dimensions, and used the same connector (LVDS 30pin, 40pin or eDP) I don't see why not.

Mind elaborating more? I know little to nothing on laptop panel connector types.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Mind elaborating more? I know little to nothing on laptop panel connector types.

You'd first want to find what connector your laptop uses, so for the Y520 it's a 30pin eDP I believe. It also looks like Dell makes a 15.6in 120Hz 30pin eDP screen so you might want to start there. Getting it attached will be the hard part, and I can't tell what it needs for power either. Also, I doubt taking it to a shop will result in  anything, if Lenovo doesn't make an OEM option, a random shop probably wont custom fab you an upgrade.

This could be an expensive venture that ends up worse than where you started, but if it's something you want to take the risk on go ahead. I'd start out by looking at prices and exact sizes on 15.6in 120Hz screens and see if they'd fit.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Your better off getting an external monitor I think

|| CPU: I7 6950X @4.6 (1.35V) || Cooler: CUSTOM EK LOOP || Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10

|| GPU: 2x Vega 64 Strix OC @1762 / 1100 MHz || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Royal RGB 3200 Mhz ||

HDD: Segate Barracuda 3TB || SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 512 GB || PSU: Corsair HX 1200 W || Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Gunmetal || Fans: Corsair HD120 (x4) / BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 (x4) || Monitor: ACER XF27HU ||

Second Monitor: BENQ RL2455HM || Mouse: Logitech G502 Pretus Core || Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Headphones: Sennheiser IE80 ||

Buildlog expirience swapping to x99: 

17 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Impossible to get a new laptop. I'll probably bring to a shop that provides panel changing service in laptop.

why is a new one impossible?

getting the panel changed will cost you nearly as much as a new one as it will take much trial and error to find a working panel that has the specs you want.

get a new laptop or get an external monitor to play on, a panel change is stupid.

26 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

why is a new one impossible?

Because my laptop is still new. And financial issues.

27 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

getting the panel changed will cost you nearly as much as a new one as it will take much trial and error to find a working panel that has the specs you want.

That's why I'm looking for guidelines. Panel isn't expensive BTW. External monitor is impossible too as it destroys portability.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

@D2ultima @Pendragon @Sicillian or any other laptop guru can help?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

Title says. If possible, what panel model you would suggest? I'm considering to do it after the warranty period ends. My current LG panel has some ghosting in fast paced games like CSGO and OKish contrast which makes dark spots sometimes hard to be seen.

Yes, as long as you can find an OEM panel from the same model (Higher spec obviously).

4 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

Yes, as long as you can find an OEM panel from the same model (Higher spec obviously).

But how to find?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

But how to find?

When I was upgrading my HP laptop I asked around for the part numbers on the HP forums. 

In my case a found another Pavilion 15 that had a 1080p screen and I got the part number from there. 

Just keep in mind that the connector has to be same. 

1 hour ago, Theguywhobea said:

B156HAN04.5 is this OK? Looks similar in technical specs.

@Glenwing any ideas?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

23 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

@D2ultima @Pendragon @Sicillian or any other laptop guru can help?

What do you have? What panel is in it?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

19 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

What do you have? What panel is in it?

Lenovo Y520. Panel model is lp156wf6-spk3

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

I don't know a compatible replacement, but you can possibly use panelook to check for equal dimensions. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

5 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I don't know a compatible replacement, but you can possibly use panelook to check for equal dimensions. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

I've found a 120Hz panel with similar technical specs: B156HAN04.5. Thanks anyway.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

I've found a 120Hz panel with similar technical specs: B156HAN04.5. Thanks anyway.

Not "similar", you need "exact". You need the same CABLE, same dimensions, same power requirements. Make certain.

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

Not "similar", you need "exact"

Oops sorry. I mean exact. Everything looks exactly the same.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

I've been looking into doing this for my own system.  I currently own a G7 7588 and the LG panel that came with it just isn't cutting it.  Do some research on what your current systems compatibility requirements are.  I believe most of everything was already covered in previous posts.

Here's a video of a guy who I stumbled upon while doing research about my own process.  The panel he uses is going to be different from what my system will use, but the process seems really simple.  If anything this shows you that IT CAN BE DONE! 

Definitely do your research and see if anybody out there has used the panel you're attempting to use.  I read in a different post about a guy that installed the AUO42ED and was able to get it running; however, he was unable to adjust any brightness settings.  Then I read another post that mentioned a N156HHE-GA1 panel worked and was able to adjust the brightness setting.  I plan on purchasing the latter of the two.  AND it's less than $100 USD, so why not?

Also, I talked with Dell and they confirmed it would void my warranty. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2018 at 5:57 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

According to http://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=33006,28147 both panels share the same dimensions and connector, hence should be a easy fit without the need to butcher the laptop for parts, cables etc. Google panel replacement procedure for Y520, and mount the B156HAN04.5. I have upgraded my Lenovo P50 with B156HAN04.5 and it is a great panel.