Memory speed CAUSED stability issues - now its fine .. probably

Hey there,

for years now my machine killed my nerves. My PC freezed so many times. I looked up on google a thousand times what could be the issue. Gaming worked for many hours without a problem. But working with Photoshop or surfing with chrome OR EVEN just being in the explorer made the machine freeze. I reinstalled windows like ten times. 

Now I think I finally found the issue. Im using an Intel i7-5930K with 2x4GB DDR4 2400MHz memory. On Intels website they say that the CPU supports only up to 2133MHz RAM. So I went into the BIOS and set the maximum RAM speed to 2133MHz AND increased the RAM voltage from 1.2V to 1.35V. Now everything runs stable so far. I didnt get any problems until then. 

So far so good. My question is: Is it possible that that was an REAL ISSUE? I heared that you can use faster RAM without any problems. What do you think. Did increasing the voltage solve the problem or limiting the max speed? Is it okay to set the voltage to 1.35V ? 

ASRock x99 Killer

GTX 970 

i7 5930K

2x4GB DDR4 2400MHz

550W PSU 

2x 128GB SSD SanDisk Ultra Plus

If it's fine now, then that must've been the problem. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

16 minutes ago, Arjihad said:

Hey there,

for years now my machine killed my nerves. My PC freezed so many times. I looked up on google a thousand times what could be the issue. Gaming worked for many hours without a problem. But working with Photoshop or surfing with chrome OR EVEN just being in the explorer made the machine freeze. I reinstalled windows like ten times. 

Now I think I finally found the issue. Im using an Intel i7-5930K with 2x4GB DDR4 2400MHz memory. On Intels website they say that the CPU supports only up to 2133MHz RAM. So I went into the BIOS and set the maximum RAM speed to 2133MHz AND increased the RAM voltage from 1.2V to 1.35V. Now everything runs stable so far. I didnt get any problems until then. 

So far so good. My question is: Is it possible that that was an REAL ISSUE? I heared that you can use faster RAM without any problems. What do you think. Did increasing the voltage solve the problem or limiting the max speed? Is it okay to set the voltage to 1.35V ? 

ASRock x99 Killer

GTX 970 

i7 5930K

2x4GB DDR4 2400MHz

550W PSU 

2x 128GB SSD SanDisk Ultra Plus

RAM/CPU/Board compatibility can be a fickle thing sometimes, it's always good to know what the limits of your hardware before anything else to avoid complications like that. The fact that your adjusting your RAM down to recommended speed for your CPU seems to have corrected the problem I'd say you fixed it. On the upside, you know you'll never be overstressing your RAM at all   :)

What is the stock recommended voltage for your RAM? This may have played a factor as well. Be sure to check the manufacturers website for your particular RAM under Specs. If it was running at a lower voltage than intended, it may be possible that you can clock it back up with the right voltage settings

Is increasing the voltage from 1.2V to 1.35V harmless? Should i turn that down to 1.2V if this doesnt make the difference? I really dont want to kill that sticks :D

1 minute ago, Arjihad said:

Is increasing the voltage from 1.2V to 1.35V harmless? Should i turn that down to 1.2V if this doesnt make the difference? I really dont want to kill that sticks :D

Most RAM from my research can usually handle up to at least 1.5v. Just be sure to check the manufacturers website to see what voltage your memory is intended to run at.