Vive or Rift

DirtyDane

So, while I haven't upgraded my GPU just yet, I will be purchasing one from a friend for cheap in the coming days. I want to get into VR, but I dont have very much space for room scale stuff. This means ideally I want to have an entirely desk based setup that i can use sitting down. 

What are your recommendations? would a Rift or a Vive suit this better, and why so? 

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

The Rift would suit your use case better, the Vive was designed to be used in a full room setting more than the Rift was.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

8 minutes ago, DirtyDane said:

So, while I haven't upgraded my GPU just yet, I will be purchasing one from a friend for cheap in the coming days. I want to get into VR, but I dont have very much space for room scale stuff. This means ideally I want to have an entirely desk based setup that i can use sitting down. 

What are your recommendations? would a Rift or a Vive suit this better, and why so? 

3 minutes ago, QuirkyRobot said:

Thats great and all, but I'm kinda looking for more than just LTT's opinion on this, I was hoping to hear what others in the community thought. 

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The Rift would suit your use case better, the Vive was designed to be used in a full room setting more than the Rift was.

how much space do i need to make for the cameras that the rift uses? Will they work if placed maybe 2ft back? I dont have a very deep desk as most of it is taken up by monitors. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DirtyDane said:

how much space do i need to make for the cameras that the rift uses? Will they work if placed maybe 2ft back? I dont have a very deep desk as most of it is taken up by monitors. 

I think the last Rift setup I saw at a desk had the cameras about that far back. Honestly, if you're going to be at a desk, you don't really need more than 1 camera.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think the last Rift setup I saw at a desk had the cameras about that far back. Honestly, if you're going to be at a desk, you don't really need more than 1 camera.

Alrighty, thanks. Thats good news to know. I originally thought the touch controllers required 2 cameras along with the rift itself. If i can get by with only one camera that may make things cheaper. 

Spoiler

My room is 11ft x 11ft and with a bed, desk and dresser it leaves me with about 4ft x 5ft of open space. My rift does very well here and also allows me to sit at the desk for games that don't require standing. It's also cheaper than the vive which is the main reason I chose it to begin with.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

personally, id recommend the vive, even though there is a lacking of games (that goes for all forms of VR), it still is the best value choice.

but if im honest, wait a few years. or maybe 27, until something like this comes out... ;)

Image result for ready player one vr headset

(i in fact actually do believe the way VR has to go is standalone headsets, rigging allowing you to sit down in vr and etcetera, as well as gloves instead of controllers. if the world were perfect, we would also have "bracelets" on our ankles for foot movement, and walking in place would work in vr, as an omni-directional treadmill is literally impossible... i think?) 

((cameras would still be an option, but possibly if there was a band that wrapped around your head with possibly low-power lasers or something that would scan your room, so when you move and the distance between the wall and the headset increases/decreases, those lasers could "sense" that or pick that up and translate that to movement in the game... i think i might be on to something with this! :D))

1 minute ago, Genericplane said:

personally, id recommend the vive, even though there is a lacking of games (that goes for all forms of VR), it still is the best value choice.

but if im honest, wait a few years. or maybe 27, until something like this comes out... ;)

Image result for ready player one vr headset

(i in fact actually do believe the way VR has to go is standalone headsets, rigging allowing you to sit down in vr and etcetera, as well as gloves instead of controllers. if the world were perfect, we would also have "bracelets" on our ankles for foot movement, and walking in place would work in vr, as an omni-directional treadmill is literally impossible... i think?) 

You can do full motion tracking with the Vive, it has ankle trackers. Both the Rift and the Vive can use an xbone connect connected for improvised motion tracking, though the rift is actually more flexible than the Vive at this allowing a wider range of connects to be used.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

@Jtalk4456 Thank you for posting that. I was going to point to the omni which was around for some time already.

Having quite a few hours with both under my belt, I'd go with the Rift. Controls are leagues better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

ay yo wuddup my dudes. Need some help really bad.

Just bought a Rift with the controllers and everything but for some damn reason, the OculusSetup.exe application won't run for me... At all, it just crashes right after I run it, doesn't show any window or any error, just a windows error message. I checked the log files, all looks fine, nothing shows an error. I'm at a loss and their support isn't helping me, nor are their forums.

It's been 2 days...

3 hours ago, Count2G said:

ay yo wuddup my dudes. Need some help really bad.

Just bought a Rift with the controllers and everything but for some damn reason, the OculusSetup.exe application won't run for me... At all, it just crashes right after I run it, doesn't show any window or any error, just a windows error message. I checked the log files, all looks fine, nothing shows an error. I'm at a loss and their support isn't helping me, nor are their forums.

It's been 2 days...

I would take this to the troubleshooting forum here instead of this thread actually, you might get better results. 

Spoiler

On 4/7/2018 at 12:53 AM, DirtyDane said:

I would take this to the troubleshooting forum here instead of this thread actually, you might get better results. 

Lol yeah, I didn't realize where I was posting in the mental state I was in. Thanks anyways