What I did was

- dissemble the heatsink, leaving the gpu board exposed

- wrap everything in aluminium foil but leaving the gpu die exposed

- temp at 190c

- frequently check for 1~2 minutes

- 10 minutes bake

- leave until room temperature

- reassemble it back, applied new thermal compound

So after reading several posts on reddit and amd, i think my gpu has died on me after collecting dust.

- I know the consequences but i'll be 100% responsible for it

- I do have another GPU, which is a GT 640, so i have nothing to lose 

So, as i prepare for the baking procedure, i have several questions

- Most of the guides i seen online do not cover the capacitors and plastic components with aluminium foil, is this optional, i'm just scared the caps will expand and the plastic         components melt. ex, fan header, 6 pin power connector.

- How many minutes should I bake the graphics card, 8 minutes to 10 minutes?

-  orientation of the graphics card, should it be laid flat on top of tin foils or the gpu die facing downwards or wrap the whole thing in aluminium foil and only expose the gpu die

the graphics card in question is an Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X 2GB GDDR5

Seen this video yet?

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

I baked my GPU few months ago , its working fine , only issue is that i lost one dvi port . Baked for about 8 minutes , removed all that i could and put some foil balls under gpu corners.

EDIT:

Most of the plastic on gpu is made for relatively high temperatures , so nothing should melt in those 8-10 min. And my GPU wasn't dead completely it was just showing artifacts all over the screen. My GPU was facing upwards , but i don't think that you should wrap it in foil .

Have you cleaned the dust carefully? Like reapplied the heatsink? Does it boot? Is it VRAM or something else that has "died"?

8 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Seen this video yet?

Please don't try anything on this video you will probably do more damage.  

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Have you cleaned the dust carefully? Like reapplied the heatsink? Does it boot? Is it VRAM or something else that has "died"?

Yes, I did reapplied thermal compound, cleaned the fins of the heatsink.

It does boot, can't install the drivers. Most of the peeps at reddit or amd i think adviced me to bake it. I'll try to find a link.

10 minutes ago, Nick Doro said:

I baked my GPU few months ago , its working fine , only issue is that i lost one dvi port . Baked for about 8 minutes , removed all that i could and put some foil balls under gpu corners.

EDIT:

Most of the plastic on gpu is made for relatively high temperatures , so nothing should melt in those 8-10 min. And my GPU wasn't dead completely it was just showing artifacts all over the screen. My GPU was facing upwards , but i don't think that you should wrap it in foil .

A friend of mine baked a similar GPU as mine too, the plastic and caps expanded

12 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Seen this video yet?

I have seen the video, but I would like clarification as most people do it differently, eg wrap in tin foil

36 minutes ago, Trevor87 said:

The way you mean to do it.

The two extremes in one video... YOLO on the right and “God! People are stupid” on the left. 

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

Anyways I went ahead with the baking and it was successful

What I did was

- dissemble the heatsink, leaving the gpu board exposed

- wrap everything in aluminium foil but leaving the gpu die exposed

- temp at 190c

- frequently check for 1~2 minutes

- 10 minutes bake

- leave until room temperature

- reassemble it back, applied new thermal compound

If it is a chip/vrm you may get away with a local heat, from a heat gun (300 degrees) and protecting the rest of the card. Harder to check tempts though.

Big risk of the entire card loosing parts. :(

[edit]

Glad it worked! I've saved 1 GPU that way, 1 PS3 with a heat gun... and a couple of other things. Did kill an SSD though, the memory chips fell off. xD