First time in 10 years bought new parts. Got two questions

Martin_1

Hi all,

I bought new parts for a new system. My old system is 10 years old (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz, Maximus Extreme (LGA775) the very first ever produced Maximus) and it was time to renew.

Here is what I bought now:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X - Processor
Asus Crosshair VI Hero - Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX - DDR4 16GB

be quiet! SHADOW ROCK 2

I already have a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB for Windows and two Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006 2TB hardrives in my current system.

However, I have two questions.

The first one is in regards to my old videocard. I am not able to buy a new videocard at this moment. So I will need to keep using my current card which is a:

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Will I run into trouble with this older card with the new motherboard and/or processor?

My second question is:

Is there anything I need to keep in mind when setting up the uefi and stuff?

As said, keep in mind I'm used to a 10 year old system so also a very old BIOS. So I feel like a totall newby again :-).

You can use the video card just fine. As for Windows, you'll want to do a clean installation. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1) Video cards are mostly backwards compatible and the architecture is basically all the same so it should work. 

2) Setting up your computer could never been easier. Just install Windows 10 (or whatever OS) onto your main drive (probably your SSD). I would reccomend you to use a flash drive or a CD to boot from and install Windows from there. Just make sure you backup all of your important files onto an external hard drive or another drive (probably one of your HDDs so you can move the files back and forth later on) 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

7 minutes ago, Martin_1 said:

Not much, just wander around a bit to see what settings you have and what you are curious about. The only thing that comes to mind is that RAM won't automatically run at whatever speed it was advertised, but it will default to the DDR4 standard (2133MHz, CL15). If your memory is capable of higher speeds, you'll have to navigate to the memory settings to load the XMP (you have an ASUS board, so maybe they call it DOCP or something like that). The information is stored in the memory stick itself, so the motherboard just reads it and set all the corresponding settings. It is consider an "overclock" (even if it's sold as XXX MHz), though, so it doesn't always work (but 99% of the times it does), in which case you can revert to the standard.

Thanks folks! You people truelly ROCK :-).

I think I can get on with this project. I am just eagerly awaiting for the postman now :-).

22 hours ago, Martin_1 said:

My second question is:

As said, keep in mind I'm used to a 10 year old system so also a very old BIOS. So I feel like a totall newby again :-).

When partitioning the drives, you're going to want to get into the habit of using GPT versus MBR. This typically only matters with drives over 2TB capacity, and since you have 2TB drives you could do either, but it may be good just to develop the habit. Part of what was nice about the rise of UEFI is the ability to see drives over 2TB, and using GPT partition table instead of MBR allows you to do this.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming