Two Z623's. 4.2 possible?

Go to solution Solved by anothertom,

Sort of, but not properly, and not in the way you want to do it. Windows (or the realtek drivers) should allow you to set up a 4.0 system if you plug in both sets, the speakers input will then split those signals into the low and high frequencies and route them as they would a normal signal. So you end up with a 2.1 replication of each 2.0 signal.

A proper 4.2 system would typically split a .1 signal into different bands of sub-bass, and then use better suited subs for each band. Atmos would handle it slightly differently as it would correct for source, speaker location and speaker range in the decoding, so you would only send that signal to the amp or active speaker.

Hello everyone 

I'm able to get two Z623's for cheap (Brand new) and I was wondering if it is possible to set them up in a 4.2 surround sound set up. Is it possible and if so, how do you do it?

Thank you and have a great day.

Sort of, but not properly, and not in the way you want to do it. Windows (or the realtek drivers) should allow you to set up a 4.0 system if you plug in both sets, the speakers input will then split those signals into the low and high frequencies and route them as they would a normal signal. So you end up with a 2.1 replication of each 2.0 signal.

A proper 4.2 system would typically split a .1 signal into different bands of sub-bass, and then use better suited subs for each band. Atmos would handle it slightly differently as it would correct for source, speaker location and speaker range in the decoding, so you would only send that signal to the amp or active speaker.

22 hours ago, anothertom said:

Yeah the Z623's only use the 3.5mm port which is 2.0 I'm pretty sure. But would it be possible to have front left and frony right as well as normal left and right with these speakers instead of having 2 of each front? What software would I need? And can I do this with a 3.5mm splitter?