How do you cool down a laptop

lantenface

My laptop keeps going over 80 degrees Celsius when I game and I tried the laptop cooler but it doesn’t work, how do you make the laptop cool down? I’ve tried every technique I can find on the internet

4 minutes ago, lantenface said:

My laptop keeps going over 80 degrees Celsius when I game and I tried the laptop cooler but it doesn’t work, how do you make the laptop cool down? I’ve tried every technique I can find on the internet

Have you tried putting it in the freezer? 

4 minutes ago, lantenface said:

As a last resort you can try liquid metal. LTT did a video on it.

Just now, TheEpicDuck said:

As a last resort you can try liquid metal. LTT did a video on it.

That can be almost as damaging as my idea.

80? Depending what CPU it is that's fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Supportsneedlove said:

That can be almost as damaging as my idea.

How so? And also last resort

Just now, TheEpicDuck said:

How so? And also last resort

Both have the potential to really frick it up

(sorry for swearing please don't take away my xbobs)

A good laptop cooler should make a difference,especially if the laptop is a bottom feeder. Mine drops 15°c across both GPU and CPU when I have it on.

I also undervolt both my CPU (With Intel XTU) and GPU (With Afterburner), shaved off a good 10°c on both, in GTAV very high/ultra I get around 70°c Cpu and 65°c Gpu, no game has pushed them past 72°c. I also have a Shift function in my MSI laptop that basically underclocks the GPU on demand which is handy when a game uses more ressources than it has to.

22 hours ago, Generallee said:

A good laptop cooler should make a difference,especially if the laptop is a bottom feeder. Mine drops 15°c across both GPU and CPU when I have it on.

I also undervolt both my CPU (With Intel XTU) and GPU (With Afterburner), shaved off a good 10°c on both, in GTAV very high/ultra I get around 70°c Cpu and 65°c Gpu, no game has pushed them past 72°c. I also have a Shift function in my MSI laptop that basically underclocks the GPU on demand which is handy when a game uses more ressources than it has to.

Well my laptop can’t be over lock or under clock because it ain’t a gaming laptop

23 hours ago, lantenface said:

Sounds like a problem my machine had a few years ago; it's possible that the thermal paste has melted and re-solidified which renders it less effective (sometimes even useless as it was in my case). Depending on how old the laptop is might pay to get a new one

If it's quite recent then re-applying decent thermal paste could do the trick

On 4/4/2018 at 12:27 PM, lantenface said:

Well my laptop can’t be over lock or under clock because it ain’t a gaming laptop

You can undervolt though. It's not the same thing, you simply reduce the voltage for the same clocks and thus reduce the power consumption (usually by a lot). You don't lose performance as long as it's stable and it costs you 5 minutes in testing it. The GPU is slightly more work but still very easy (if you have one)

That's an F in the profile pic

80℃ under load is pretty normal for a laptop with a beefy CPU, as long as it's under somewhere between 90℃ ~ 100℃ and isn't throttling you'll be fine.

Other than that, taking apart the laptop and clearing the heatsink fins of dust and debris (hair, etc.) and replacing the manufacturer thermal paste with a good quality aftermarket thermal paste should improve your thermals.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD