X Vives, 1 PC?

Armetron

This post is purely theoretical.

So being a Vive owner and watching Linus' invisible VR build with Oculus I started thinking about what benefits the vive has over Oculus. The most obvious one i've heard people say is for Oculus to have 360 room scale it needs 3 cameras which require 3 usb ports unlike the vive which does the same amount of work with only one port. This got me thinking, since you have more available ports could you use a single rig (one motherboard) have multiple vives hooked into it (assuming you have the space)? And if so how many vives could you fit? This rig would probably have to run virtual machines and have a dedicated graphics card for each vive but it should be possible right?

I remember going to VRLA and seeing a Vive "Cube" where 4 vive play spaces were set up in a square but each vive had its own system to run it.

I also thought maybe this could be a cool build Linus could do like 7 Gamers, 1 CPU

9 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

but its only three vives

huh, I must have missed that episode. Thanks

Edit: Just finished watching it, NICE. Now I'm wondering how many vives they could get using a server board

I'd use Windows mixed reality, it's cheap enough to be viable and each headset uses only 1 usb with no need for lightboxes (far superior imo)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I'd use Windows mixed reality, it's cheap enough to be viable and each headset uses only 1 usb with no need for lightboxes (far superior imo)

There are many advantages to using dedicated base stations (better tracking being the most obvious). If you need a portable setup, then MR is OK. Otherwise, a Vive or Rift is waaaaaaay better.

it's time

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Doesn't Windows mixed reality loose track of the controllers if they go out of sight? (behind your head)

5 minutes ago, Armetron said:

Doesn't Windows mixed reality loose track of the controllers if they go out of sight? (behind your head)

Only if you hold em there for a while.  I have the HP model and they're fantastic, so much less of a hassle to set up

10 minutes ago, RollTime said:

There are many advantages to using dedicated base stations (better tracking being the most obvious). If you need a portable setup, then MR is OK. Otherwise, a Vive or Rift is waaaaaaay better.

Also 1/3 the price

36 minutes ago, Armetron said:

huh, I must have missed that episode. Thanks

Edit: Just finished watching it, NICE. Now I'm wondering how many vives they could get using a server board

probably around 7 or 8

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

55 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Also 1/3 the price

Rift goes for $550 for everything you need. A samsung Daydream is $600. There are cheaper ones, yes, but they're inferior.

it's time

8 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Rift goes for $550 for everything you need. A samsung Daydream is $600. There are cheaper ones, yes, but they're inferior.

I got the HP im using for $200 and coming from a guy who owns a 6950x and $400 case that's a bit rich for my blood

18 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I got the HP im using for $200 and coming from a guy who owns a 6950x and $400 case that's a bit rich for my blood

It really depends on what you need from your headset.

it's time

27 minutes ago, RollTime said:

It really depends on what you need from your headset.

Fair enough, I'm sure a more high end and stationary setup would be worth it to someone who uses it for work or like 8 hours a day but I think most people will be served well by a wmrh

12 hours ago, Damascus said:

Fair enough, I'm sure a more high end and stationary setup would be worth it to someone who uses it for work or like 8 hours a day but I think most people will be served well by a wmrh

True. Some people might want the better tracking.

it's time