Overheating issues with AMD Duo Polaris?

Ripper7620

I've been considering getting one of these GPU's to have on standby for those projects that would benefit from it's specialty application, but I've heard that this GPU in particular can get extremely hot when pushed hard. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is indeed the case? Thank you in advance!

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=amd+duo+polaris&id=056AC45F150B144E9F9E20F9F1152B2472E4B7FE&FORM=IQFRBA

1 minute ago, Ripper7620 said:

It's 2 GPUs stuck with a blower cooler, of course it's going to run hot.

But what do you need it for? Why not just get Vega FE? Or another WX card that's slightly less insane?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

As long as the card is given airflow it should be fine. The card will protect itself automatically if things get to hot by throttling. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just leave the house windows open under operation.

Intel Xeon E5640 4510mhz 1.10v-1.42v (offset) - C states on (◣_◢) 16GB 2x4 1x8 1296mhz CL7 (◣_◢) ASUS P6X58DE (◣_◢) Radeon R9 Fury Sapphire Nitro (◣_◢) 500GB HDD x2 1TB HDD x2 (RAID) Intel 480GB SSD (◣_◢) NZXT S340 (◣_◢) 130hz VS VX2268WM

I've got great airflow, if that's all it takes...

028.JPG

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It's 2 GPUs stuck with a blower cooler, of course it's going to run hot.

But what do you need it for? Why not just get Vega FE? Or another WX card that's slightly less insane?

Honestly, I don't have the answer to that question, but I want to expand my horizons, and 32gb has got to be good for SOMETHING.

Just now, Ripper7620 said:

Honestly, I don't have the answer to that question, but I want to expand my horizons, and 32gb has got to be good for SOMETHING.

You should probably have a reason to spend $1000 on something.

Or just buy a 1950X 16 core CPU, at least that has many uses already.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You should probably have a reason to spend $1000 on something.

Or just buy a 1950X 16 core CPU, at least that has many uses already.

You're singing my song, I'm running a 1950X!

48 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

You're singing my song, I'm running a 1950X!

In any event if you really just want a card like that buy Vega FE instead of the pro duo. much simpler solution, just vega with 16gbs of RAM and some pro drivers.

Spoiler

54 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

it doesn't have 32gb , it has 2 x 16. So for most workloads your limited to what 16gb can do. If you want 32gb you need a 32gb v100 or a wx9100.

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

In any event if you really just want a card like that buy Vega FE instead of the pro duo. much simpler solution, just vega with 16gbs of RAM and some pro drivers.

Thank you, I may in fact do that.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

it doesn't have 32gb , it has 2 x 16. So for most workloads your limited to what 16gb can do. If you want 32gb you need a 32gb v100 or a wx9100.

Thank you, I didn't realize that, I just saw the 32gb and thought wow, that's a monster card

Thank you, I didn't realize that, I just saw the 32gb and thought wow, that's a monster card

What are you using it for anyways? The pro duo doesn't have many good uses.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What are you using it for anyways? The pro duo doesn't have many good uses.

Right now, I'm just fixin' to get ready to get my feet wet in Blender, but I'm thinking my my Quadro P5000 should be up to that task. I'm just thinking that no GPU can do everything, and that they all have strengths and weaknesses, so I'm trying to cover all my bases for whatever might come up. What are some areas that the Quadro P5000 might be lacking? Is a good strong AMD GPU handy to have around? What are they good at? My GPU is a Ryzen 1950X.

Right now, I'm just fixin' to get ready to get my feet wet in Blender, but I'm thinking my my Quadro P5000 should be up to that task. I'm just thinking that no GPU can do everything, and that they all have strengths and weaknesses, so I'm trying to cover all my bases for whatever might come up. What are some areas that the Quadro P5000 might be lacking? Is a good strong AMD GPU handy to have around? What are they good at? My GPU is a Ryzen 1950X.

There really isn't anything a quadro p5000 can't do well, maybe some amd only stuff, but there isn't much of that. It doesn't have fp64 or fp16, tensor cores, but you don't seem to do anything that neeeds that, and if you want all that you need a gv100 based card.

Also in blender a quadro doesn't help you other than the vram, so a 1080ti would be a much better card here if you can return it.

Really buy the gpu when you need it, they will only get faster and cheaper.

4 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Solidworks is probably one of the few programs that likes AMD more than Nvidia, overall you don't need both and it's likely a huge pain to get both working unless you want to do a GPU passthrough set up with 8 cores and 1 GPU per system.

I also don't know if Vega FE is a faster gaming card than the quadro.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Solidworks is probably one of the few programs that likes AMD more than Nvidia, overall you don't need both and it's likely a huge pain to get both working unless you want to do a GPU passthrough set up with 8 cores and 1 GPU per system.

I also don't know if Vega FE is a faster gaming card than the quadro.

gaming wise there both about the same a q5000 is basically a 1080 in games.

My understanding is that the Quadro's are better in Blender for detail work, such as textures and shading. The way I heard it put was that a !080 Ti is like working with a machete, and the Quadro is like working with a scalpel.

3 minutes ago, Ripper7620 said:

My understanding is that the Quadro's are better in Blender for detail work, such as textures and shading. The way I heard it put was that a !080 Ti is like working with a machete, and the Quadro is like working with a scalpel.

Blender doesn't gain any benefit from quadro cards or WX cards, it simply doesn't use those features if I remember right.

CAD applications are the ones that need the double precision ability and possibly error correction.

You can throw whatever at blender and it'll use it just fine.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

CAD applications are the ones that need the double precision ability and possibly error correction

cad programs want the better quadro drives, they don't use fp64 for live view and most quadro don't have fp64(other than the gp100 and gv100 in current gen)

Ecc is never needed, but always nice to have, but mainly useful in compute, where errors are much worse. For live view a error won't really make a big difference, its just a off pixel when working once.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you're engineering like a bridge or engine and doing say an important simulation for stress, there's no real margin for error there.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

If you're engineering like a bridge or engine and doing say important simulation for stress, there's no real margin for error there.

but not having ecc won't keep you from running the program, like how having 8gb of vram won't let you render a project that needs 10gb. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.